“Perfect or Perfectly Predictable!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
Manhattan Beach, CA
“Perfect or Perfectly Predictable!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2013

We were attending the Silver Bay dog show in Del Mar with two very large dogs. Having stayed at Residence Inns before, we looked for another this trip. We whisked through check-in, our two bedroom suite was ready and waiting and staff couldn't have been more helpful getting us settled. The rooms were spotless, the beds seemed to be memory foam and quite comfortable. A get together in the common area proved a delightful way to meet other guests and we were able to enjoy a lovely buffet dinner served there. The kitchen in our suite was well stocked with everything we might need if we were cooking. We actually needed a few extra blankets as the nights were quite cool, a simple call to the operator and they magically appeared at our door. Speaking of magical, the fireplace in the living room was operated by a switch and a nice warm fire danced to life. A comment on Residence Inns in general might be that the rooms in some are quite a bit larger than others. The living room in this suite, given the number of people the suite would accommodate, was a bit small. That however, would not stop me from staying there again. The hotel is undergoing renovations, though evidence of work was kept to a minimum and it did not affect our stay in any way. Because this is a business area I worried there would not be any walking destination. Diagonally opposite the hotel is a very nice center with many restaurants available. A very nice long weekend. Thanks!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
KellyGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, March 2, 2013
Greetings, and thank you for sharing a review on TripAdvisor! We're simply delighted to hear that your stay was comfortable and pleasant. Our team is dedicated to providing excellent service and quality accommodations. We're glad to know it shows. We invite you to come visit us again the next time you're in Carlsbad.

Kelly Herrington

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

This RI is nothing spectacular so they're a base rating for me is already a 3 stars to begin with. And because of that, it would not be difficult to raise the rating had the stay been pleasant. For that matter, it would also not be hard to drop the rating if the stay was unpleasant...

The staffs here were unfriendly and seemingly unwilling to help a guest esp. when comfort is concern. I will explain further why I rate this hotel a 1 star.
The front desk staffs are cold. No welcoming smiles here. No pleasantries. They do their job to check you in and that is it. Their voices and conversations were clipped, short and dismissal. Not a very good start! Mind you, when I checked in, it was not busy. There was no line so there is no excuse for that.
I booked a king size studio (4-5 weeks ahead) but was given queen size bed. I was not informed of this change upon check in either. When I called to notify front desk of this error, Mark informed me that they are fully booked that weekend and have no way to accommodate me for a King bed. 2 adults and a toddler would just be too cramped in a queen size bed. So again, I compromised; I asked Mark if he could send someone up so we can pull out the sofa bed. His response? It's late (10pm) and there is no housekeeping at this time to help me. I said, okay, we can do it ourselves but I need sheets and etc. Again, there's no housekeeping and he is alone at that time. Really? So, what are we suppose to do? His response? A short and passive "I'm sorry". At this point, I felt like I'm in a cheap motel! But I need to adjust my perspective otherwise, my weekend would be ruined. I actually felt helpless that night, we could have move to a different hotel but it's late and we have another Legoland trek the next day... so we settled and had a very restless and uncomfortable night.
Nice room layout as expected of all RI Marriott chain. The room appeared clean but there's a foul-sour odor emitting from the mini kitchen sink. The smell becomes very noticeable when you are washing dishes or by the sink. And it gets worst, when you open the bottom cabinet where trash can is sitting, and mind you, the trash can was empty.

Decent breakfast menu. However, the breakfast area, where the food is located is not situated to accommodate a crowd. And yes, it was very crowded that weekend we visited. There is a doorway at the end of where the food stand/table is located. So while you are getting your food, you'll need to move back and forth so people can come in (or out) while also, trying not to push on the other end where a line of people are moving forward to get their own food. Basically, you will need to maneuver around people on both ends. Poorly planned and designed.

The front desk staffs are cold. No welcoming smiles here. No pleasantries. They do their job to check you in and that is it. Voice and conversations ar clipped, short and dismissal. Not a very good start! Mind you, when I checked in, it was not busy. There was no line so there is no excuse for that.
I booked a king size studio (4-5 weeks ahead) but was given queen size bed. I was not informed of this change upon check in either. When I called to notify front desk of this error. Mark informed me that they are fully booked that weekend and have no way to accommodate me for a King bed. 2 adults and a toddler would just be too cramped in a queen size bed. So again, I compromised, I asked Mark if he could send someone up so we can pull out the sofa bed. His response? It's late (10pm) and there is no housekeeping at this time to help me. I said, okay, we can do it ourselves but I need sheets and etc. Again, there's no housekeeping and he is alone at that time. Really? So, what are we suppose to do? His response? A short and passive "I'm sorry". At this point, I felt like I'm in a cheap motel! But I need to adjust my perspective otherwise, my weekend would be ruined. I actually felt helpless that night, we could have move to a different hotel but it's late and we have another Legoland trek the next day... so we settled and had a very restless and uncomfortable night.

Decent breakfast menu. However, the breakfast area, where the food is located is not situated to accommodate a crowd. And yes, it was very crowded that weekend we visited. There is a doorway at the end of where the food stand/table is located. So while you are getting your food, you'll need to move back and forth so people can come in (or out) while also, trying not to push on the other end where a line of people are moving forward to get their own food. Basically, You will need to maneuver around people on both ends. Poorly planned and designed.

I apparently made a mistake in booking a state govt rate room but my ID shows that I'm a federal govt employee so they added 30 plus dollars more a night into my bill. Again, I take responsibility for that error. I honestly did not know there's two separate govt rates until that night. Looking back,I have stayed in other Marriott and Marriott chains and this was never pointed out to me. It was never an issue with this state vs federal rate. I thought bec it says govt rate, that is how it is. In fact, I recently stayed at Marriott Riverside and I booked for a state govt rate (bec there was no other option for fed govt rate). Because of the incident here in RI, I called Marriott Riverside prior to check-in; to confirm if this is ok and the front desk said “it’s the same govt rate, we will accept that". So, why couldn't RI-Carlsbad do this? I guess it is who handles the front desk and their disposition that day. To be honest with you, had the stay been pleasant, I would not mind paying more. But because our sleep was restless, and the bedroom was not what we reserved for, the rate was not worth it, let alone the added $.
I called Marriott customer care prior to writing this review.

RI was suppose to contact me regarding this complain within 24-48 hours. I guess I was giving them a chance to make it right. Well, it’s been almost a month since and yet no call back from the manager. I guess I will not be holding my breath on this one.

UPDATE: The manager of RI Carlsbad finally called me... She was apologetic but I could not hear any sincerity in her voice. Nothing good came out of that call, really. She was just as cold as her staffs. No wonder why. I forgot her name - I honestly just want to forget this whole experience. Chalk it off as a glitch but will not be staying here EVER again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
KellyGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Dear Gabe,
First and foremost, I would like to thank you for sharing a review. Your comments are invaluable, and will help us to better service our guests in the future.

We were utterly disappointed to learn about the inconveniences you experienced during your stay. We hope you'll accept our sincerest apologies, and take some comfort in knowing that the mishaps you described are not norms, but rather exceptions. Unfortunately, it seems that they all occurred simultaneously.

Rest assured that I have already shared your comments with our team, and we have revisited the service standards that make Marriott an exceptional brand. We are also working to further improve the breakfast area, taking into consideration peak hours so as to provide our guests with a more pleasant experience. We only hope you will give us a second chance the next time you are in the Carlsbad area. If you'll allow us the opportunity to gain back your loyalty, I invite you to contact me directly so that I may ensure your stay is a positive one.

Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Great stay. The room we were in had two separate bedrooms which was ideal since my daughter and son-in-law were there with their 4 month old. The rooms were spotless. Newly remodeled, in fact the second floor was in the process of remodeling at the time, but not a problem. The facilities have been updated to look brand new. It is located in an office park area, so is very quiet, but only five minutes to the main part of Carslbad. The breakfast was definitely a step above most motel breakfasts. I would definitely stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: It is so quiet in the area, that I do not think it matters which side of the building you are on.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
KellyGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thank you for sharing such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor. We are excited you had the opportunity to enjoy the new enhancements to our hotel, and found such great value in our complimentary hot breakfast. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Macomb, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

from the moment checking in and checking out is a great thing to experience wouldn't want to check in at any other hotel beautiful property with a modern splash rooms are excellent hope everyone that is planing a trip to san diego california will difinitely check out this hotel you will enjoy the after hour refersements and the breakfest buffet is one of the best.

Room Tip: all rooms are great I like the king size suite
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
We were simply delighted to read the wonderful review you shared on TripAdvisor. Our team is committed to providing memorable experiences, and we're glad it showed. Thank you for the kind words. We look forward to having you stay with us again in the future!

Oceanside, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We stayed here recently and even though they were doing some renovating, our stay couldn't have been any better. The staff there are so accommodating. They are right there ready to take you anywhere on the shuttle, shop for you, whatever you need. We will definitely stay here again whether we are spending time in San Diego or Orange County. It is close to both.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
KellyGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, December 2, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. Your comments regarding our customer service are very much valued. Our staff members are committed to providing the highest in customer care, and we're grateful for the recognition. We hope to have another opportunity to serve you again in the future!

Warm regards,
Southern California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

Room was decent. Clean enough, but the quality of the towels and linens were poor. We've stayed at various Marriott Residence Inns, and this one is not one of the best. We have stayed here before too. The staff seemed nice, the complimentary full breakfast buffet was excellent.

Pool and jacuzzi are nice, but the pool furniture is worn and rusty, and not the cleanest. For a Marriott property, they need to keep it up more.

As I walked through the halls, I noticed how filthy all of the doors and door jams are. Like they have never been wiped down, like ever. The carpeting in the elevators is dirty and very worn, as well as the elevators. Old school! They are currently under rennovation, so I'm curious to see how much the property improves.

Lastly, I wanted a coffee to go after we checked out. This is the first time that there was no regular coffee ready, or hot water for tea. What?? I didn't have time to bother to ask them to refill the coffee or hot water so I left.

So I hope the next time we stay here again, they have stepped it up a bit.

Location is close to the beach, less than a five minute drive. Right near the Carlsbad outlets and Legoland too.

Room Tip: Ask for a rennovated room if you visit this property within the next few months.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
KellyGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Thank you for sharing a review about your recent stay. We were quite disappointed to learn that your experience was less than exceptional. For that, we sincerely apologize. We have addressed your concerns with our housekeeping and kitchen staff, and are taking measures to rectify the points you mentioned. We expect the current renovation to improve the appearance of our hotel, and hope you will stay with us again when you return to Carlsbad to enjoy these enhancements. Please feel free to contact me directly if you do. I would personally like to ensure that you are well taken care of.

Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Even though it is quite a drive from San Diego, I will most definitely stay here the next time I visit. The Staff were just amazing. Very clean room. They were in the midst of remodeling and yet we barely noticed it. We wanted to stay an extra day and they gave us the same promo rate that we made our initial booking for. Very family friendly. My boys are 5 and 3 and they had a blast at the pool and there was basketball court as well. There were a lot of other families with young kids as well. Complimentary breakfast and supper were an added bonus. Thanks for helping make our trip a memorable one.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
KellyGM, General Manager at Residence Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Thank you for the wonderful review on TripAdvisor! We were simply elated to know that we exceeded your expectations. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon.