“just spent two days...” 4 of 5 stars

2.0 of 5 Motel   |   3136 Carlsbad Blvd., Carlsbad, CA 92008   |
Ranked #18 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
“just spent two days...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

and my family and I had a wonderful stay. The motel is old, and a bit muskyso if your goal is to stay in your room perhaps this isn't the place for you. The shower and water was great, with a soaking tub and endless hot water that can burn so be advised! they offer chairs, beach towels and toys to bring to the beach which is a few minutes walk from the motel. The breakfast they offer is baked goods from costco, but nice...
Its cheap, clean, and in a Perfect location. shopping, food and entertainment are within walking distance. For the price, this is an excellent destination!

• Stayed March 2013
SGilliom, Manager at Surf Motel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We're glad to hear that you and your family had a wonderful stay, and hope to see you again in the future!

180 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

SURF is an older 50's type motel. It is not luxurious by any means...BUT.. it is clean, well kept up,comfortable and has all the amenities necessary for a great stay. It is actually in the part of Carlsbad known as Carlsbad by the Sea which is the walking part. Lots of cool shopping, restaurants within walking distance AND the ocean right across the street. Not much view from the rooms, but who goes traveling to see the inside of their room. Save the extra $$$ enjoy great food & enjoy SoCal's virtues, surf, sun, and ocean fresh air.
I am so glad I found this place. I will certainly remember this find. Thank you Surf Motel.

• Stayed February 2013
SGilliom, Manager at Surf Motel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Thank YOU for staying with us and spending the time to write this wonderful review. We are looking forward to see you again in the future!
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Motel just didn't live up to the reviews. My room smelled old and musty, and there was a problem with the toilet that caused it to make a sound similar to, but not quite as loud as, air brakes releasing pressure on a semi. This would happen regularly about every 90 seconds, just load enough and often enough to guarantee I wouldn't be able to sleep. I walked back to the office and brought it to the attention of management, but was told no other rooms were available and that somebody would be sent to fix the problem the following day. The only option I found that allowed me to sleep was to turn on the vent fan in the bathroom, turn on the shower, and close the door. Sounded like a rain shower and I slept great, albeit feeling a little guilty about all the water I was wasting. Came back the next evening after a long day of touristy stuff to find the problem had not been fixed. With only one more night to go, I passed on complaining to the manager a second time and slept with the shower on again all night. Sorry Surf Motel - you really let me down.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
SGilliom, Manager at Surf Motel, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
I sincerely apologize for your recent experience at our motel. I spoke to our team members about this issue, and it appears to have been one of those rare "perfect storms" that night, not having any rooms available that we could have moved you into. The issue with the toilet has since been fixed, of course, but again, I do apologize for an experience that didn't live up to your expectations.
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013 via mobile

The staff here was friendly and our room was fine with microwave and fridge. Nice tv in the room too, patio furniture right outside of room for lounging. Great location for quick trips to the beach to watch sunset or morning yoga. Shares parking lot with cafe next door. Breakfast is cereal, fruit (bananas, pears, apples) and pastries, and should be brought back to your room, as only 2 seats in lobby. We opted to purchase our coffee down the street. Would stay here again.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SGilliom, Manager at Surf Motel, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience! We hope to see you again in the future.
Covina, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I was in from out of town for my sons wedding. I could not have asked for a more comfortable place to stay. The accommodations were great. Everything in my room worked, was clean and comfy. It was located by the beach near downtown. Everything was accessible and within walking distance. I was there by myself and I would recommend this location for anyone wanting to get away.

Room Tip: My second floor room in the main building allowed me to walk to the end balcony and enjoy the wonder...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
SGilliom, Manager at Surf Motel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Congratulations to your son's wedding! We are happy that you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to leave this great review!
Fairfax, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2013

I just returned from here: stay was from the 4th of February to the 11th 2013. If you are looking to spend time in Carlsbad, this is the place to stay. It is close to downtown area and across the street from the beach. No beach views but not really needed when you can just cross the street. Clean and spacious rooms. Friendly staff. I spent a week there visiting my son so no car was needed but if u have one the parking is free! Depending on the length of stay there is a cost for WiFI however, since we were there a week, no charge. Maid service was accommodating and great. Lots of towels. TV is older model but works with cable. Old model of microwave too but who needs it except to heat water for tea? Little refrigerator very handy and cold. Free continental breakfast: the usual bagels (ask for cream cheese), coffee, small cups so request the big ones, croissants, fresh fruit from 0700-1000 hours. The small table that seats two is nicely set next to the window in the room for early or late snacking. Anthony was very helpful and all the staff was gracious. I left some clothes and received a call from the desk, fortunately my son lives in Carlsbad so was able to pick those up. We walked around Carlsbad to all the quaint shops and along the 'boardwalk' of the beach. Since it was cold and windy no beach time for us! I would highly recommend this motel and would stay again when visiting the Carlsbad/San Diego area. My GF and I left a tip for the wonderful service we received from the housekeeping staff....bigger than my usual!

Room Tip: There are some smoking rooms but limited. Smoking is allowed in designated areas. We were on the sec...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
SGilliom, Manager at Surf Motel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Wow, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! We are glad you enjoyed your stay, and are hoping to see you again the next time you're visiting your son!
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Our family loved this stay. We stayed last year during their remodel and it was still a fabulous stay. The kids loved the pool. The staff was excellent. The workers doing the remodel were never noisy and always polite. We loved being walking distance to the beach and to the restaurants. We will definitely stay here again,

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
SGilliom, Manager at Surf Motel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Thank you for this great review! Glad you and your family had a great stay, and we're looking forward to see you again!

Been to Surf Motel? Share your experiences!