“Value with a Vista” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Carlsbad South

You added Motel 6 Carlsbad South to your Saves list
Motel 6 Carlsbad South
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   750 Raintree Drive, I-5/San Diego Freeway at Poinsettia Lane, Carlsbad, CA CA 92011   |
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Carlsbad
Newberry Springs
“Value with a Vista”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2010

The room was clean, check-in and out was effortless and the staff was friendly and helpful. It is smoke-free and pet friendly.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
West Warwick, Rhode Island
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2010

This is one the best motel 6 I've stayed at ,and I've stayed at many of them when I'm traveling alone.Good location close to beaches,dinning ,convenience stores.For a motel 6 the rooms were very clean and comfortable.Poll was fine.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2009

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. We travelled from Calgary to go to the horse races at Delmar. Delmar is approx. 10 mis. south of this motel on the freeway. It was very conveniently located with easy access to the I-5. It was also walking distance to a mall with a great grocery story (Ralph's) where you could get coffee, made to order sandwiches, etc. You could walk to the beach. It is also just minutes away from Carlsbad outlet mall and lots of restaurant choices (TGIF, The Fish House). It is also just minutes away from Costco. The pool area was clean. The rooms were adequate, nothing fancy but cleaned daily.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2009

You don't expect a lot from a hotel when you pay $70 a night however you also don't expect to be treated sub-humanly. We made a reservation after arriving in the area on a spur of the moment trip and as it was the first accommodation we found online so we booked it. BIG MISTAKE!

We were put into a room, room 101 which directly adjoins the front office, with faulty plumbing and at 11.30pm at night the toilet overflowed and raw sewerage entered into the bathroom and further into our room. When asking the front desk clerk for assistance she flat out refused to help instead giving us a mop and telling us that because we had overflowed the toilet it would be our responsibility to clean up the mess - imagine that, customers being responsible for plumbing issues in a hotel! I asked her to call the manager, again she refused. She also refused to come & look at the situation advising that it wasn't her job. I asked her what her job was and she could not even clarify this however a second clerk came out, and advised me that if I wanted someone to "come and clean up the s*** I should have stayed at the hotel accross the road" as "this is a budget motel and if there's s*** on the floor then you have to wait for maintenance to come & clean it up tomorrrow". He then told me that he would call the police on me if I did not leave the front desk.

Disbelieving of the treatment I had received, I called the central reservations line and spoke to the manager there. After 45 minutes on the phone to him, and him calling the property and speaking to the same clerks, they would not put even him through to the manager stating that if they did they would lose their jobs. I found out during this conversation that the manager actually lives on property so it's not like it would be a great inconvenience for him to come into work - I mean after all, isn't that why you employ managers onsite to look after issues and emergencies - even after hours?

We spent over 2 hours cleaning up sewerage from the floor and well after 2am slept in a room that smelt like faeces. We then complained to the hotel manager in the morning (further delaying our trip as we had planned on leaving at 6am the following morning) who could only defend the staff siting that it's not their responsibility to problem solve any issues that arise and that they could have put us in another room (without WiFi which we needed) but that we refused. I advised the manager that if his staff, between the 2 of them, could not leave the front desk for 2 minutes to visit the room right next door to see the issue that they should not be working in Hospitality. The manager defended his staff saying that they did the right thing then proceeded to threaten me if we took the matter further up the chain, which we did and have still had no response from the GM of Accor Hotels. Just goes to show you what kind of chain they run when they don't respond after 2 weeks!

Now I have stayed at many Accor properties in the past however this is my first experience with Motel 6 and one which I will never repeat again. I have stayed in 5 star hotels and I have stayed in budget motels and never in my life have I ever been treated like such a 3rd rate citizen or made to clean up plumbing issues or threatened by the manager. The manager did issue a refund, after trying to bully us into taking a voucher for another Motel 6 stay in the future which we declined, however this was significantly less than what we paid and this was only after me asking for it several times. To date we have not received a full refund, almost 3 weeks after staying at this property.

To anyone considering this property I strongly suggest that you avoid it and pay the extra to stay somewhere where you will be treated like a person & not like an animal and made to sleep in faeces. It is an absolute disgrace and the staff of this hotel should either be retrained or shown the door. A little common courtesy and politeness wouldn't go astray either.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Henderson, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

We stay at this Motel 6 often for quick trips to San Diego. It's about 2-25 mins away from downtown SD, and very quiet, and out of the way. It is surrounded by a Ramada and a La Quinta. There is a Benihana (Japanese teppan yaki) right next door, for family fun dining. The coaster station is nearby (about two blocks walking distance), but doesn't run past 7pm I think. Within a 5 minute drive, you can go right down to the Carlsbad State Beach. We like to take the dogs for a walk along the road by the coast, as the sidewalks are well lit and there is grass available too. This location is only about a 5 minute drive from Carlsbad Village, which has lots to see and do for the whole family, so all in all, a great location, especially for the value.

On this trip we were a bit disappointed in the room, even though it had wi-fi access, which I did not use. The carpet in the bathroom had what seemed to be fresh, small, dark brown stains on it (unknown what it was). The room smelled musty, although it was nonsmoking room. There was a hair in the shower on the wall, and the shower head seemed to be coming away from the wall. There was what appeared to be mold spots starting on the ceiling in the shower. The bathroom ddn't smell fresh either. The towels were clean and soft. The air conditioner clacked a bit, too. The room number was 117, which is on the west side of the property. I really like the north side of the property best, very quiet and away from the pool. All in all, a good stay for only one night, but I will pass this along to Motel6.com as well. Don't let these comments sway you, this is a bargain in the SD area for $59.99 a night, and if you get it on the "Click 6" rate, even better!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2009

Stayed for one night en-route to San Diego - decided to stop at Carlsbad to do a bit of shopping at the premium outlets and do some photography at the flower fields. This motel 6 is a little south of Carlsbad centre but only 3 mins away from the flower fields and the factory outlets. The room was small but functional, and with the other Motel 6's I've stayed in, very clean. Wifi is $2.99 per 24 hrs. The property is located beside numerous others but for the price ($50 a night), you can't go wrong...!

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2007

We stayed one night, and one night is all that I could have handled.

Pros:
Cheap rate
Very safe neighborhood
One block from restaurants

Cons:
Horrible bedding
Loud (walls paper-thin)
Needed to wear shower-shoes!

Stayed August 2007

Been to Motel 6 Carlsbad South? Share your experiences!