“No issues whatsoever!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Motel 6 Carlsbad South

You added Motel 6 Carlsbad South to your Saves list
Motel 6 Carlsbad South
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   750 Raintree Drive, I-5/San Diego Freeway at Poinsettia Lane, Carlsbad, CA CA 92011   |
Ranked #29 of 35 Hotels in Carlsbad
Orlando, Florida, United States
“No issues whatsoever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

I'm writing this review while still staying at this hotel. I found this hotel in a website that listed tractor-trailer friendly hotels. Before I booked the stay I also searched for a promotion code and I got the hotel at a cheaper rate. When I got here, there is not a specific area destined to tractor-trailers. These large vehicles can park outside, on the main street. However, a nice lady which I assume is the manager allowed me to park the truck in the back of the hotel near the freeway. Since I don't mind the freeway noise, I also requested a room in the back to keep an eye on the truck and turn it on every once in a while. I had no issues checking in, the room is decent and clean. You won't find a 5-star decoration or anything like it, but it's clean, no items are broken and it doesn't smell. The bathroom is clean and fully working. The surroundings were also clean, and well kept. Overall it served the purpose and it was a positive experience.

Across from the hotel is Benihana, a Japanese restaurant. They prefer guests to make reservations and since we didn't know that tidbit we had to wait about an hour before being seated on a table for hibachi dinner. Overall I thought it was way too pricey. The chefs cook one thing at a time and you might end up like us, eating cold food while you wait for all the items to get to the plate. There's a possibility it was because it was a Saturday. We did try the sushi and it was good! Benihana didn't do it for me. But today we went to TGI Friday's in Palomar Airport Rd and the food was Amazing!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
CARLSBAD
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

We paid for a room online for our nephew's Christmas visit. Upon their arrival, they had to pay for it again with their own card, saying mine was just to hold the room. However if they hadn't shown up, they would have charged my card. Ha! I called and they said to come down and they would run my card and refund their card. When I showed up with my card, they said my nephew had to be there at the same time. When I asked why, they said they don't want my business anymore, and my nephew had to be out of the room within an hour. When he arrived, they had cancelled his electronic room key and he had to climb through the window to retrieve his luggage. I recommend the Motel 6 across the freeway (Carlsbad East).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

STayed at this Motel 6 in Carlsbad, CA several times over the past few years. Its located south of Hwy 78 to Escondido and at the Palomar Airport exit. The place is always clean and the service is friendly at a moderate rate. A good stopping place for the night. The motel is located across the street from a German Style resturant/deli which has good food and cold beer and is easy to get in and out w/o to much expense, close to filling stations & other resturants up the street. Altough close to I-5 there isn't to much road noise. Never a problem here.

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Totally decent - it's really one of the cheapest motels around (I spent some time looking too), close to the beach and Legoland. It is what you would expect - rooms where made up each day, basic TV, no fridge (we brought a cooler, they have 2 ice machines). Pool was OK, closed for maintenance one day but no big deal. Free mediocre coffee in the office in the AM. Would defiantly stay here again - we spent most of our time out and about. You can hear the freeway but that goes for any motel next to the 5 (didn't bother me personally).

Room Tip: We choose a downstairs room so the kids would bother the people below, but we didn't hear any of...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Calgary
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

We stay here every year when we come down to attend horse races at Delmar and sightsee. Great location. Only 2 blocks from the beach. Clean rooms and friendly front end staff. Really close to a little shopping centre that has full service grocery store and deli plus drug store and fast food outlets as well a Starbucks. Easy to get to either the coastal highway or the freeway. Would highly recommend it for economically minded people. Courtesy coffee, laundromat and ice machine. We'll be back. We had another couple with us who both needed handicapped rooms. They were very satisactory.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with the least amount of freeway noise. We had a room on the south side of the swimm...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Scottsdale, Arizona, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

I stay at this Motel 6 most times when I go over to Encinitas/Carlsbad. They raise their rates by like $20-30/night on Friday and Saturday and it surely is NOT worth it, but during the week they are generally reasonable.

I always ask for the AARP rate (yes being over 50 has some benefits!!), which saves 10% and that pays for your taxes!

The rooms on the backside facing the ocean are the best. There is a loop trail that is great for walking pups...probably about 1.5 mile loop...just sort of nice to stroll. Great location to get anywhere. I've always found the front desk folks to be very obliging....

Be sure you check out PIERVIEW COFFEE in Oceanside if you are in the area! Just love that place and it's DOG FRIENDLY!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

We spent 2 days in Encinitas and decided to extend our stay but wanted to save $$. We found this Motel 6 for $80 on a Friday night, a value in this area. I was skeptical and honestly did not want to stay at a Motel 6 but was pleasantly suprised. It wasnt anything special but I wasnt expecting a lot being it is a Motel 6! The room had no frills but was clean. We needed a hair dryer and were able to get one from the front desk easily. Hotel is very close to the beach, you can walk or a short drive for a lot of beach options. We drove less than 5 minutes and stopped at a great area. Front desk staff was very helpful and pleasant, we arrived before 12:00 noon (yes BEFORE NOON) and they were able to get us into a room right away. I would definitely stay here if I am in the area again, especially if I am on a budget!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Motel 6 Carlsbad South? Share your experiences!