“Not as great as your bill would suggest” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 12%. Book Now.
Ranked #15 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
New Jersey
“Not as great as your bill would suggest”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2006

My family spent one week at La Costa and for a five star hotel, it was not running on all cylinders. First of all, the check in time is 4 pm. Very late when you travel with two children under the age of 2. Once we arrived to our room, it was very nicely appointed but there was a recognizable smell to it: age. Even the beautiful decorations couldn't cover up the fact that it was still an old room. Plus, the walls are paper thin and we could hear the people above us every time the walked in their room or flushed the toilet (it was like the water coming into our room). We could hear the people next door as well as the people walking down the hall. Thank goodness this is not a party place like some Vegas hotel or we would have been up all night. For the amount you spend, you would expect more from your room. It did have newspapers (Mon-Friday), robes, coffee, wonderful staff (very accomodating to our needs especially for our children), most beautiful spa I have ever seen, and great work out area. The grounds are lovely depsite all the construction. La Costa is improving and they are trying to compete with the local Four Seasons. It is getting there but it is not there yet.

808 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
south pasadena,ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2006

After reading previous posts about La Costa I must say I was nervous as the Four Seasons Aviara, our usual hotel was sold out and it was my husband’s birthday. So we made our reservation at La Costa for a resort room.

I then contacted the General Manager, April Shute, to request an early check-in of 1pm because my husband had a tee time of 2:30 and I had a 1:30 pm massage and we were driving in from Los Angeles. Ms. Shute called me back, much to my delighted surprise and told me they would do everything possible to accommodate our request.

Arriving at 1pm, our room was ready. We were whisked to our SUITE, which was gorgeous. A welcome basket filled with great wines, bottled water, cheeses, etc. We were immediately impressed. The layout of the room was great. Comfortable living room with a gigantic plasma televsion, I would guess it would be at least 60”. Bedroom beautifully appointed with another plasma television, bit smaller than the one in the living room. Bed was very comfortable with high thread count sheets.

Bathroom had plenty of counter space, double sinks, wonderful soaking tub, great sized toilitries. Coffee maker with Seattle’s Best Coffee.

My husband played the South Course and loved it. I went to the Chopra Center for a massage which was good, not great, but we had only made our reservations 24 hours prior so I was willing to take what I could.

There is a complimentary appetizer and cocktail reception in the courtyard. I didn’t stop in, but I noticed premium drinks and yummy appetizers. We ate at Legends which was very tasty and not as pricey the Blue Fire Grill.

We received chocolate covered strawberries for my husband’s birthday and a premium bottle of wine.

I called and spoke to Ms. Shute and thanked her for all of her extra efforts and that we greatly appreciated it. She said well it pays to go straight to the top, hint, hint.

There were just a few minor issues I found at La Costa. Towels in the bathroom very scratchy. No complimentary newspaper in the morning, you have to call the bell desk and they charge you for the papers. There are or were no robes in our room. This is a spa so I would just assume that their would be robes, glad I brought mine. The daily resort fee that we all love to complain about is here at $20 a day, and that includes internet access and access to the health club.

We had a great stay, the staff was amazing, right there to answer any questions. We were former Four Seasons Aviara fans, now La Costa. Even with the daily resort fee and no newspapers, the rooms at La Costa are bigger, more modern, less expensive. And the spa and health club beat the Four Seasons. We will be back!

A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2006

La Costa-5 stars? More like a very polished 3 star hotel
The entrance to the hotel is very confusing and when you do finally
find the check in area you will be suprised to learn that it caters only to
valet parking-there was no where to park just to check in
Self parking was in a combination dirt and half paved parking area (5 stars?)
Upon checking in I learned that the room I was given had no balcony-I then
requested that I be moved to a balcony or ground level room
Front desk informed me that all ground level rooms were booked but they did manage to give me a room that looked out at some shrubs-upon entering the room we immediately
noticed a bad sewer smell-front desk offered to send the engineer to check it out,
we requested another room , magically there was a ground level available closer to the pool (which I originally requested)
The family pool was nice and did have a sand area to play in-the pool bar remained
closed during our stay and the only way you could get refreshments was to call room service-about a 30 minute wait (5 stars?)
I rarely passed anyone in my travels around the property and question just how booked this hotel really was
All in all, this is a very mediocre hotel (for $300+ a night) and I would recommend families with small children go elsewhere-probably a great place to stay if all you like to do is golf

A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2006

La Costa was perfection. We drove up to a very warm friendly valet staff who weren't bothered by the Newcomer's questions. The hotel staff was friendly and went out of there way to make you feel special. Everyone from the waitress in the lounge, bartender, gift shop sales staff...everyone. The golf shop Pro's were incredible. It felt like they were long time friends, helpful, friendly, funny, and thoughtful. The resort is beautiful. The view was just gorgeous. It was too cool to consider the pools for me, but did have the opportunity to sit by the pool to read. Others were in the pool, though. My husband managed to play 4 rounds of golf in 3 days....and loved every minute of it. Tough course, but beautiful! I enjoyed the spa--80 min stone massage, 80 min Epicurean Facial and 50 minute scrub with access to all the spa features (saunas, jacuzzi, Roman shower) and had a wonderful lunch......it was true pleasure!

My husband had stopped in one of the gift shops and asked about cigars. He'd seen some in the Golf shop, but not the ones he likes. So, we were getting something in the gift shop & one of the ladies asked if she could help. He asked her about his favorite cigars. She started calling everywhere in the hotel to find some. We told her not to bother, he could get a cigar from the golf shop and thought that that was the end of it.

The next afternoon, we returned to our room to find 2 of his favorite cigars with a card saying to accept the cigars as the hotel's gift.

That's way above & beyond customer service.

We loved the Legend's Restaurant. The nightly specials are such a great deal! Thurs nite we ate a salad, Lobster w/ potatoes and vegetables followed by a wonderful dessert for $24.95! That's incredible! I'm not sure we've ever found a large portion of Lobster for such a price.

I can't think of ANYTHING negative about this resort & spa.

It was a pleasure to get to stay there!

• Stayed March 2006
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

After reading previous reviews, it seems that what some guests loved, others hated about La Costa. A reviewer summed it up well that Californians wrote some of the most negative reviews about this place. This shouldn't be a huge surprise considering we live here, are surrounded by spas and resorts and know what passes muster and what doesn't. I was really looking forward to this trip and wanted to love La Costa, but sadly I'll be another Californian to register total disappointment with this place. Completely overpriced and overrated

Rooms are nothing special and DO NOT look like the ones on the website. I was traveling with a goup of people and was able to see 5 different rooms. It was hit or miss when it came to ammenities in the rooms. Some rooms had bubble bath and candles, others didn't. Some had robes, others didn't. Some stunk like mold and mildew, others didn't. Some had flat screen TV's, others didn't. The first night there, I had to call and ask for the hot water to be turned on. For the price of the rooms, you would think hot water would be a given. A common factor was that all rooms were dated and comparable to a mid priced Hilton and had no view. Nothing special at all.

The pools were pointless. Small, dirty and depending on where your room is, could be a 1/2 mile walk. If you have trouble walking long distances, this is absolutely not the place for you. The grounds are very spread out. The food was disappointing and served tempid by uninformed staff. Six of the ten people in our party ended up suffering from food poisoning type symptoms at least one day during our stay. Front desk personnel were zombies.

For a 5 star resort, this place is simply not on the radar with other spas. I will not return.

• Stayed March 2006
Cambridge, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

My husband and I spent a week at the La Costa Resort. He went for a conference, I went for the spa, and we extended our stay after the conference into a vacation. In short, we will never return. This is a very average hotel with nice facilities but very dated rooms and mediocre (at best) service. It was far below the quality of what I had expected or the quality of most hotels where I stay.

My first impression of the hotel was arriving in the evening after a 6 hour plane ride from the east coast to be greeted at my car by the valet only to be told that I would have a long wait to check in. I didn't fully understand this until I got to check in to find a line that was literally out the door of the reception area and spilling into the lobby. I am used to being greeted at check in of places that call themselves resorts with anything from water to champagne. Here I was greeted with a 30 minute wait in line and the line had only gotten longer by the time that we finally left to go to our room. When we were finally done in line and we got to our room, I was frankly horrified at the condition of it. The quality of the room was nothing like the pictures on line. The best way I can think to describe the room would be to think of a generic room at a large hotel chain from 1989. The room did not look like it had been updated in at least 15-years. The only thing that appeared to be new was a wide screen plasma TV which ended up being more annoying than anything else because the hotel was too cheap to pay for any of the channels in HDTV format so the picture was just distorted on all of the channels they did have. The most surprising thing about the room was the bathroom. I have come to expect the bathrooms at spas to be particularly nice. This bathroom was Days Inn circa 1985 (yes, even more dated than the room) with a bath tub that I would never place any body part on other than the soles of my feet. The room was falling apart – the robe hook on the back of the bathroom door had broken off and only a spiked metal post at eye level remained, the air vent cover was literally falling off the wall, etc. For the record, we requested to be moved to another room after the first night and the second room was only in marginally better condition.

The only thing I can say about the service at the hotel is that it was sub-par. It was really kind of a shame because most staff members were kind and polite, but hopelessly poorly trained and as a result did not have the tools to provide adequate service. Most staff members were unable to respond to basic questions or requests. Other staff members, especially the wait staff at the restaurants, were unbelievably bad. The waiter that we had during dinner our first night was one of the worst I have ever had anywhere. He made belittling comments to some of the members of our party and was so inattentive that what we thought would be a relatively quick hour to hour and a half meal at a half empty restaurant turned into a 2.5 hour ordeal. This spotty service was consistent across the resort. Overall I liked the spa and the spa facilities were fantastic, but the facial I had was simultaneously one of the most expensive and one of the worst I've ever had. For the record, the massage was quite good though. Another thing to beware of with the service is that there were almost $100 in erroneous charges on our bill when we went to check out, so be sure to watch for that and check your bill carefully if you do plan to stay here.

The rooms are bad, the service is bad, the food is bad, so what's good? Why not 1 star instead of 2 stars? The facilities were very nice. The spa itself with the roman baths, steam room, sauna, etc., was great. I would totally go to the spa again (but I would skip the facial as stated above). The grounds were beautiful, the pools were nice, and the exercise room was great. Clearly the owners are putting money into the hotel to make it nicer. If they finally get around to renovating the rooms and spend a lot of time training the staff in customer service, this could be a very nice hotel. I'm not going to risk my money to find out if they ever do, though, because there are already so many resort and spas that are of the high caliber that La Costa only hopes it could be.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2006

Stayed at the LaCosta resort for a meeting. Overall, a pleasant experience. The valet parking was competent, they do charge about $20.00 a day. There is also resort fee of $20.00 but if you use the resort facilities, its worth it. Their gym is well equipped with 8 treadmills, free weights, full cybex, stair-climbers, elipses etc. If you play tennis, their courts are wonderful and even have grass court. I stayed in a resort room and it was very quiet even though I was close to the pool. The sound proofing was good. The food at the resort was excellent. The conceirge was helpful in arranging several evening dinners. Overall, the makeover was good, the service was good, not quite to the level of a Four-Seasons or Peninsula chain but much better than you garden variety Marriott or Starwood hotel. Would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business

Been to Omni La Costa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!