“La Costa is Perfection!” 5 of 5 stars

Omni La Costa Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2100 Costa Del Mar Road, Carlsbad, CA 92009   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
3rd Night Free! Book Now.
Ranked #20 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
A TripAdvisor Member
“La Costa is Perfection!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2006

La Costa was perfection. We drove up to a very warm friendly valet staff who weren't bothered by the Newcomer's questions. The hotel staff was friendly and went out of there way to make you feel special. Everyone from the waitress in the lounge, bartender, gift shop sales staff...everyone. The golf shop Pro's were incredible. It felt like they were long time friends, helpful, friendly, funny, and thoughtful. The resort is beautiful. The view was just gorgeous. It was too cool to consider the pools for me, but did have the opportunity to sit by the pool to read. Others were in the pool, though. My husband managed to play 4 rounds of golf in 3 days....and loved every minute of it. Tough course, but beautiful! I enjoyed the spa--80 min stone massage, 80 min Epicurean Facial and 50 minute scrub with access to all the spa features (saunas, jacuzzi, Roman shower) and had a wonderful lunch......it was true pleasure!

My husband had stopped in one of the gift shops and asked about cigars. He'd seen some in the Golf shop, but not the ones he likes. So, we were getting something in the gift shop & one of the ladies asked if she could help. He asked her about his favorite cigars. She started calling everywhere in the hotel to find some. We told her not to bother, he could get a cigar from the golf shop and thought that that was the end of it.

The next afternoon, we returned to our room to find 2 of his favorite cigars with a card saying to accept the cigars as the hotel's gift.

That's way above & beyond customer service.

We loved the Legend's Restaurant. The nightly specials are such a great deal! Thurs nite we ate a salad, Lobster w/ potatoes and vegetables followed by a wonderful dessert for $24.95! That's incredible! I'm not sure we've ever found a large portion of Lobster for such a price.

I can't think of ANYTHING negative about this resort & spa.

It was a pleasure to get to stay there!

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (126)
San Francisco
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2006

After reading previous reviews, it seems that what some guests loved, others hated about La Costa. A reviewer summed it up well that Californians wrote some of the most negative reviews about this place. This shouldn't be a huge surprise considering we live here, are surrounded by spas and resorts and know what passes muster and what doesn't. I was really looking forward to this trip and wanted to love La Costa, but sadly I'll be another Californian to register total disappointment with this place. Completely overpriced and overrated

Rooms are nothing special and DO NOT look like the ones on the website. I was traveling with a goup of people and was able to see 5 different rooms. It was hit or miss when it came to ammenities in the rooms. Some rooms had bubble bath and candles, others didn't. Some had robes, others didn't. Some stunk like mold and mildew, others didn't. Some had flat screen TV's, others didn't. The first night there, I had to call and ask for the hot water to be turned on. For the price of the rooms, you would think hot water would be a given. A common factor was that all rooms were dated and comparable to a mid priced Hilton and had no view. Nothing special at all.

The pools were pointless. Small, dirty and depending on where your room is, could be a 1/2 mile walk. If you have trouble walking long distances, this is absolutely not the place for you. The grounds are very spread out. The food was disappointing and served tempid by uninformed staff. Six of the ten people in our party ended up suffering from food poisoning type symptoms at least one day during our stay. Front desk personnel were zombies.

For a 5 star resort, this place is simply not on the radar with other spas. I will not return.

• Stayed March 2006
Cambridge, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2006

My husband and I spent a week at the La Costa Resort. He went for a conference, I went for the spa, and we extended our stay after the conference into a vacation. In short, we will never return. This is a very average hotel with nice facilities but very dated rooms and mediocre (at best) service. It was far below the quality of what I had expected or the quality of most hotels where I stay.

My first impression of the hotel was arriving in the evening after a 6 hour plane ride from the east coast to be greeted at my car by the valet only to be told that I would have a long wait to check in. I didn't fully understand this until I got to check in to find a line that was literally out the door of the reception area and spilling into the lobby. I am used to being greeted at check in of places that call themselves resorts with anything from water to champagne. Here I was greeted with a 30 minute wait in line and the line had only gotten longer by the time that we finally left to go to our room. When we were finally done in line and we got to our room, I was frankly horrified at the condition of it. The quality of the room was nothing like the pictures on line. The best way I can think to describe the room would be to think of a generic room at a large hotel chain from 1989. The room did not look like it had been updated in at least 15-years. The only thing that appeared to be new was a wide screen plasma TV which ended up being more annoying than anything else because the hotel was too cheap to pay for any of the channels in HDTV format so the picture was just distorted on all of the channels they did have. The most surprising thing about the room was the bathroom. I have come to expect the bathrooms at spas to be particularly nice. This bathroom was Days Inn circa 1985 (yes, even more dated than the room) with a bath tub that I would never place any body part on other than the soles of my feet. The room was falling apart – the robe hook on the back of the bathroom door had broken off and only a spiked metal post at eye level remained, the air vent cover was literally falling off the wall, etc. For the record, we requested to be moved to another room after the first night and the second room was only in marginally better condition.

The only thing I can say about the service at the hotel is that it was sub-par. It was really kind of a shame because most staff members were kind and polite, but hopelessly poorly trained and as a result did not have the tools to provide adequate service. Most staff members were unable to respond to basic questions or requests. Other staff members, especially the wait staff at the restaurants, were unbelievably bad. The waiter that we had during dinner our first night was one of the worst I have ever had anywhere. He made belittling comments to some of the members of our party and was so inattentive that what we thought would be a relatively quick hour to hour and a half meal at a half empty restaurant turned into a 2.5 hour ordeal. This spotty service was consistent across the resort. Overall I liked the spa and the spa facilities were fantastic, but the facial I had was simultaneously one of the most expensive and one of the worst I've ever had. For the record, the massage was quite good though. Another thing to beware of with the service is that there were almost $100 in erroneous charges on our bill when we went to check out, so be sure to watch for that and check your bill carefully if you do plan to stay here.

The rooms are bad, the service is bad, the food is bad, so what's good? Why not 1 star instead of 2 stars? The facilities were very nice. The spa itself with the roman baths, steam room, sauna, etc., was great. I would totally go to the spa again (but I would skip the facial as stated above). The grounds were beautiful, the pools were nice, and the exercise room was great. Clearly the owners are putting money into the hotel to make it nicer. If they finally get around to renovating the rooms and spend a lot of time training the staff in customer service, this could be a very nice hotel. I'm not going to risk my money to find out if they ever do, though, because there are already so many resort and spas that are of the high caliber that La Costa only hopes it could be.

• Stayed February 2006, traveled on business
Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2006

Stayed at the LaCosta resort for a meeting. Overall, a pleasant experience. The valet parking was competent, they do charge about $20.00 a day. There is also resort fee of $20.00 but if you use the resort facilities, its worth it. Their gym is well equipped with 8 treadmills, free weights, full cybex, stair-climbers, elipses etc. If you play tennis, their courts are wonderful and even have grass court. I stayed in a resort room and it was very quiet even though I was close to the pool. The sound proofing was good. The food at the resort was excellent. The conceirge was helpful in arranging several evening dinners. Overall, the makeover was good, the service was good, not quite to the level of a Four-Seasons or Peninsula chain but much better than you garden variety Marriott or Starwood hotel. Would stay there again.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2006

My wife and I stayed at La Costa from Dec.18 through Jan.2,2006. It was a most enjoyable two weeks.The facilities were outstanding. Our room,in the golf rooms section,was attractive and clean with nice view of the first hole fairway of the north course.The food at the Blue Fire Grill matched and/or exceeded our dining experiences in five star restaurants. The Legends is a comfortable eatery with outside dining overlooking the north and south golf courses.The food was delicious and featured many healthful choices for guests into weight control and better nutrition. The wait staff at both dining areas were cordial and effective. We noticed that all La Costa employes were cheerful and ready to assist you.My wife and I are into physical fitness and were impressed with the gym, its equipment and staff that taught many fitness programs. The 8 a.m. three-mile walk was fun. The golf courses are challenging and well groomed. One can see why its hosts PGA events. The golfing staff was attentive and helpful. The Spa was a favorite of my wife. She liked the facilities and the spa retreat and accomodations.

• Stayed December 2005
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2006

Room- we were put in a room that smelled terrible from smoke then were given a new room that had a terrace with cigarette butts all over it.
Bathroom- toilet was clogged, shower had very little water pressure
Noise- there were partiers hanging out in the hallway, knocking/slamming doors at 2:00am.
Room Service - outrageous to charge a service fee and a room service fee. All told our breakfast of coffee, tea, fruit and 2 muffins was marginal at best and cost $50 before tip.
$20 Per Night Service Fee for in room coffee (which even low end hotels do not charge for), paper (which you had to request), internet access, and the gym, felt like being nickeled and dimed. Especially considering that the coffee offered was nothing special and was to be made in an old stained dirty maker that could not be used for heating water for tea (which by the way was not included because the container for tea was empty.)
Parking and Front Desk located very far from room.
While this may sound like harsh criticism and be discounted, please be aware that we have never had such a bad experience at a hotel, and have never been so disappointed that we took the time to provide feedback.

hollywood, ca
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

If you're traveling to California look at the responses from folks who live in California. It's a solid tip. They are much harder to please in their own neck of the woods. That said, we can be a bit harsh on our own.

La Costa was a premier property some years ago, and they've been trying hard to reacquire that stature. New lobby, new ballroom, redesigned grounds, and spa.

BEWARE, the "Spa Rooms" next to the Ballroom have new construction going on there, and parking is awful. I assume noise is awful, and heard that they had closed those rooms due to the issue for some time, but that's where they put us up. The Rooms are spacious, the pillows and bedding were premium, and the marble baths were sumptous.

We were fortunate that it was very quiet in this area, and that the rain probably kept the construction guys from making a diaster of our stay.

Legends Dining Room was not up to par either time we stayed here. The breakfast buffet is high priced, and for the same money you can have a much better buffer at the Four Seasons at the same price...actually less. Also, the spa is very high priced, and the fee to use the whirlpool, and so on, without "body work" is 60 bucks....30 after 5pm. I wasn't falling for that.

The tennis courts are awesome. My daughter and I played for free on New Years' Day, BUT they have a facility charge of $15 a person....no break for youngsters!!! I, for one, find it absurd to pay resort prices for a room and get charged for every amenity out top of it.

The Spa Rooms are nice, and have their own pool, and the main pool was redesigned and is quite good. BUT, the Spa Rooms are the second floor have NO ELEVATOR. Elderly or folks with issues won't care for those rooms at all. AND....the Spa Rooms are very far from the main clubhouse/lobby. We had to get the valets to come get us with the golf carts or vans and carry us up to the main areas.

Finally, there were plenty of kids, but this property really isn't close to being on par with...say...the Four Seasons...just up the hill...when it comes to stuff for kids to do.

Hope this helps. I'd probably stay again, but make sure you get a great rate. And if I had a choice in the price range, I'd stay at the Four Seasons up the road.

Been to Omni La Costa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!