“Nice space but they SELL memberships to the locals! Skip it.” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save 12%. Book Now.
Ranked #16 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
San Francisco, California
“Nice space but they SELL memberships to the locals! Skip it.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

La Costa is a beautiful space with great pools and potential. However, after waiting 45 minutes in line to check in, we headed to the pool to find every seat taken and the pool itself absolutely packed. It was a weekend, so I thought it must have just been a busy time - but it was the same story all week. Pool was packed to the gills and induced stress. Turns out, La Costa sells memberships to the locals - who flood the hotel over the summer. I couldn't wait to get home to our own pool where at least we can find a chair. As a guest at this hotel, you will feel far from special....they're far more interested in their members than their guests. Think 24-hour fitness at peek time, yet you're paying more for a night than they paid for the summer. Skip it or wait until offseason. I'm confident the positive reviews are from people who visited in the winter or didn't travel with family.

856 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
San Francisco, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

I stayed here for a business retreat. Overall it's a nice property. Had some issues with the reservation. I requested a room with 2 beds and they "upgraded" me to a Villa which was very nice but had only one bed and was at the far end of the property. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful and luckily I was able to switch to a room with two beds that was right next to the location of my meetings.There was an issue with noise from the air conditioner and the pillows were not very comfortable, but other than that it's a very nice property.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

This is our first experience at la costa. We live in San Clemente so this was simply a very expensive stay-cation for us. We were not very impressed with the pool area for families. The towels we received were old bleached out blue thin towels that should heve been retired years ago. You,d get nicer towels at a Motel 6! there were a million kids at the pool and most of the lounge chairs were old school plastic slat chairs from the 70's/80's era. They seriously need to work on improvements and updates! The pool slide required kids to be 48 inches. My seven year old was one inch under and could not ride so got bored quickly. At Legoland they only had to be 42 inches for similar water slides so even my 5 year old could ride and we had much more fun there!

Bistro 65 was a HUGE disappointment. Food was very average and expensive! We went for breakfast and it took 20 minutes to even be greeted and get some waters. Egg dishes were $19! Seriously???? MySpace husband had the $9 oatmeal that was like eating liquid starch. I ordered the bagel lox and cream cheese for $16 and received only 3 tiny slices of Roma tomato. I wanted more tomato for the other half of my bagel but the waiter never returned. Hands down worst service ever for disappointing expensive food! Do NOT eat on property!

We are foodies and ended up eating at chain restaurants in Carlsbad (which we never do) and had far better experiences with food at Claim JUmper, PF Changs, and Sammy's Woodfire PIzza. Much more family friendly and dinners with wine and beer were cheaper than our horrible breakfast at Bistro 65!

Spa was good and I loved my 80 minute treatment with Andres. The outside pool area was relaxing but their menu also needs an overhaul. It is so ordinary and expensive. Nothing like canyon Ranch! The spa facilities need an overhaul as well. Very 80's with the tile and the grout looks old and stained. They need to move to marble in the steam and shower areas.

On a lighter note, we liked our room on the 700 block. The large tub with marble tub and shower were nice and seemed renovated. Beds were comfy, air was cool and nothing smelled. I don't think I will return. I have better amenities at home in Talega San Clemente! Makes me appreciate why I pay such expensive HOAs! Looking forward to going home to my clean uncrowded pool area!

Room Tip: The rooms in the 700 block are newer!
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Suffolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Great Place for Family, the resort is big and has everything that a family needs, the pools and the kids clubs were great, the golf courses were a little disappointing for the price but still above average. We will come again.

Room Tip: Stay away from the front of the resort the cars passing by are extremely loud
Dallas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

Incredible hotel and staff. So relaxing to have everything on property. Golf right outside of the lobby, adult pool and kids adventure pool, great marketplace for grab and go food, plenty of food options, shopping, spa that is rated #1 in North America...the list goes on! Did I forget to mention the Chopra center for ultimate relaxation?

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Anchorage, Alaska
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I've been here at the La Costa for 2 nights now for a conference. The first plus is the staff. All are friendly and helpful. Some have been working here for 30 + years! When I arrived , I parked in the round about so I could check in. Once checked in, the front desk clerk said a bellman would show me to my room. They were so busy I thought I could go it alone. Big mistake. Please let someone escort you. This property is far too large and confusing to even try. It got tough during conference breaks because it was a 10 min walk to my room. You will get some exercise in here! The room I have is modern, clean , spacious, and comfortable. The resort has plenty to do for the entire family including a yoga studio, a spa, boutiques, 3 swimming pools, a Jacuzzi, and a kids center with an arcade and a play area for little ones . Expect high resort prices but there is free wifi. The banquet food is delicious. The room service food is plentiful and yummy. If you are attending a conference say hello to Roger (bartender) and Simon (catering staff). The ambiance of this resort is perfect for a family.

Stayed July 2014
Yorba Linda, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

One of my favorite things to do with the family is to find a resort that has it all so that you never have to leave. And this is the place! With my girls 8 and 10, it was the perfect getaway with great water slides, heated pools, kids activities, and the beautiful San Diego weather. I would have given it a 5 star rating except that the insulation on the rooms is not the best and definitely needs upgrading (we were in rooms close to the pool area in the 800-900 block). I had stayed before with girlfriends near the spa and the rooms there seemed nicer.

Room Tip: Do not get a room near the stairs and try to get an upper level room so that you don't hear soun...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Omni La Costa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!