“Amazing” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
“Amazing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2014

I just came home from A conference held at Omni La Costa. This resort is amazing. From the moment I pulled up and handed the valet the keys to my rental, to checkin, meal service, conference facilities, and resort facilities, I was blown away.

Yes it is pricey.So what, luxury is not cheap. I was treated like a VIP the entire time I was there. I am going back, and bringing my family with me.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
Chesterfield, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

we attended a conference with family at the resort. overall a very nice place. the pools tended to be very very crowded. it can also be tough to get a drink poolside- they seem to close the bars early or at odd hours. golf courses are very nice. rooms are decent sized and have excellent baths with large tub and separate shower. plenty of closet space. and the windows operate, so you can enjoy cool overnight fresh air.

Room Tip: the first floor rooms have patios
Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This was our Fifth summer at La Costa and several times prior to Omni's purchase of the hotel. It is very large with beautiful grounds. I requested a La Costa suite in a quiet area overlooking the golf course and that is what we were given. This suite has a small living room and a separate bedroom and two flat screen TV's. There is a large bathroom also with a separate toilet. We experienced problems with the toilet not flushing properly and had to have maintenance twice. The thermostat for the A/C was also not working properly and the wi fi was spotty. The service was fairly prompt on these occasions and with good attitudes. We could have changed rooms but my husband was not feeling well and we had too many things to move. We also know that this is an older hotel that probably needs a new plumbing and air conditioning system. We also had a buffet breakfast included in our package each morning. Good quality and plenty of choice. My grand children came to visit and the enjoyed the water slide and kids area. We stayed 5 nites and did enjoy our time here in spite of several inconveniences, The Front Desk did all they could to make it better for us as well as issuing a credit on check out. With many hotels to choose from in San Diego, I am sure we will stay here again.

Room Tip: Large spa rooms are also available. If you want a quiet area, request it.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Denise C, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Lee N: We appreciate your loyalty and your review very much. We hope that your husband is feeling better and are glad to hear that your grandchildren enjoyed the slides! We hope to welcome you back for another visit soon.
Carlsbad
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

I am from the Carlsbad area and was excited to go back and take my family to the famed La Costa Resort. What we found though was a somewhat run down hotel with big service problems. Run down - room smelled like mildew, refrigerator didn't work (had to be replaced on our 2nd day), paint peeling from the lights in the hallway, carpet seemed like it has seen better days. Not horrible - but for what I expected, not it. Worse to me was the service. I called the front desk repeatedly to ask them to address the mildew-smell issue in our room. It was very strong in the bathroom, but still strong throughout the whole room. I called as soon as we arrived in the room, and was told they'd call me back with a solution (new room, way to clean it, etc.). After 2 hours, I called again (all this time we weren't unpacking or using the room much because we didn't want to unpack and then have to move rooms). Wait time for calling the front desk is bad - up to 10-15 rings, and then they put you on a "short hold" which lasts up to 8 minutes. Everytime I followed up, they seemed to not know what the issue was and so I'd have to start at square one. That evening they did offer to move us to another room - a smaller, darker room with no patio (the original room had a nice patio) but instead with a balcony filled with dirt and leaves. We said no, largely because we didn't want our toddler to be in a room with a balcony and had requested a 1st floor room originally. They they said they could clean the smell for us. Of course, that took another full day for them to come and do (apparently they only have 2 of the oxidation machines on the property and one was lost). Meanwhile, they weren't updating me about the status or calling me to tell me what or when anything was happening. I'd have to call them each time. The oxidation process didn't work, but of course no one called me to follow up afterwards to see if it did work. They gave us a $100 credit for the smell in the room, but honestly for all the time and frustration we spent dealing with it (and never getting it resolved), $100 wasn't worth it.

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Dear Matthew H: Thank you for taking the time to share your experiences with us. We are certainly taking these comments to our team, as this is not the experience we would have wanted you to have. Thank you again for sharing this feedback.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

Attentive and friendly staff, good food at Bistro 65 ( though I'd pass on the pretzel bites and they were ordered as am appetizer but came after the main course), somewhat bland but beautifully presented food at the Spa Cafe. The room ( a villa) was spectacular. The Spa was absolutely wonderful. I was a little taken aback because the Spa And Splendor Package did say that parking was included ( and seemed to imply that the resort fee was included in the $600 plus per day cost). But that was not the case . Though, to be fair, though that was stated on the website, when I received email confirmation, it said that prices could change. For a very, very special trip, this was a good choice. But, frankly, I feel that, should I return ( and I might), I would choose a less expensive room and splurge on spa services. It was nice for a treat.

Stayed July 2014
Los altos
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here in July, 2014. Our reservation was for a villa suite. That included a patio with a table/chairs/umbrella and separate exterior entrance, king bed.

Our check in went OK, but we had not noticed that check out is noon and check in is 4pm, so be aware of that.

They sell memberships to locals for the kid pool area. I cannot believe that many people can safely be in that area, but it looked like a WalMart sale area and there was no way I would allow my granddaughter to go there, let alone in the murky water.

Our bed was very uncomfortable. We had to put 3 unfolded towels under both sides of the bed to make it level, and it sloped down at both sides. The beds are broken down.

The bathroom is clean, but light switches are confusing, and if you expect a little shower cap, you won't get that.

The air conditioning vents blow right on the bed. It is impossible to sleep with cold air right on you, so we decided to use the ceiling fan, since it was not too warm outside. When I turned on the fan, dust flew off of it and it clicked with every turn, so we just suffered through the night. No sleep, needless to say.

We ordered the identical in-room breakfast every day and each day it was different and a different price. Yes, they did adjust that at check out.

We put the room-service tag outside our door for an early breakfast delivery one morning - waited and waited - only to discover the tag was still on the door in the morning and never picked up.

Our check out bill charged us $50 for each night of our stay for valet parking, even though we self-parked and never used the valet. Yes, that was also deducted, but check your bill carefully!

We decided to sit outside the first morning for breakfast, but the table and chairs were so dirty we had to wipe them down with wet towels. The towels were very black from that! The table had sticky food on it and the patio pavers were dirty and had bird poop on them. When I called housekeeping to clean the patio, they told me the patios were only cleaned "by request." I requested our patio be cleaned that day. Sadly it was never cleaned at all and we could not use the patio. I do not think paying for a dirty patio in a villa is wise, unless when you make your reservation you request a clean patio.

The bed only had two small pillows. Bad pillows. I have never been in any hotel, let alone an Omni, that had only two small pillows on a king bed. We requested two more pillows and never got them.

We are Omni Members, so we are supposed to get free in-room coffee every morning, but we were charged for the coffee.

We are also supposed to get express check in and check out, and did not get that either.

My husband is handicapped and we were surprised that there were only two poorly marked handicap spots in the entire Villa area, which has over 100 rooms. The blue paint has faded and there is no sign, so each evening a car was in the handicap spot near our room, without a blue card displayed. It would be impossible in the dark to know the spot was for handicap parking only.

As a result of this stay at LaCosta, we have cancelled all future travel plans with Omni Hotels and certainly will not return to LaCosta.

One review here said you have to pay for using the resort pools and the wi-fi, but they are free.

Hope this review helps others to have a better time at LaCosta than we did. As we departed we noticed the hotel won some TripAdvisor review award. I was tempted to get out of the car and take the sign down....but didn't.

Room Tip: If you select a villa room, ask that the patio be power washed prior to your arrival. Otherwise it w...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Dear Donnads: Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review the experience. We apologize for the inconveniences and appreciate your frankness here. We certainly take this feedback to heart,
Lubbock, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I visited La Costa in July, 2014. It's a great place, but if it's just the two of you, maybe wait until the kids are back in school. I was very surprised at the number of kids with scooters, skateboards, etc. And lots of strollers.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
#28 of 37 in Carlsbad
4.0 of 5 stars 515 reviews
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach
Four Seasons Residence Club Aviara

Been to Omni La Costa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!