“Nice But Pricey” 4 of 5 stars

Omni La Costa Resort and Spa
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   2100 Costa Del Mar Road, Carlsbad, CA 92009   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
12% Off! Book Now & Save!
Ranked #23 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
“Nice But Pricey”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014 via mobile

Attentive and friendly staff, good food at Bistro 65 ( though I'd pass on the pretzel bites and they were ordered as am appetizer but came after the main course), somewhat bland but beautifully presented food at the Spa Cafe. The room ( a villa) was spectacular. The Spa was absolutely wonderful. I was a little taken aback because the Spa And Splendor Package did say that parking was included ( and seemed to imply that the resort fee was included in the $600 plus per day cost). But that was not the case . Though, to be fair, though that was stated on the website, when I received email confirmation, it said that prices could change. For a very, very special trip, this was a good choice. But, frankly, I feel that, should I return ( and I might), I would choose a less expensive room and splurge on spa services. It was nice for a treat.

Stayed July 2014
1 Thank Mary S

Los altos
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We stayed here in July, 2014. Our reservation was for a villa suite. That included a patio with a table/chairs/umbrella and separate exterior entrance, king bed.

Our check in went OK, but we had not noticed that check out is noon and check in is 4pm, so be aware of that.

They sell memberships to locals for the kid pool area. I cannot believe that many people can safely be in that area, but it looked like a WalMart sale area and there was no way I would allow my granddaughter to go there, let alone in the murky water.

Our bed was very uncomfortable. We had to put 3 unfolded towels under both sides of the bed to make it level, and it sloped down at both sides. The beds are broken down.

The bathroom is clean, but light switches are confusing, and if you expect a little shower cap, you won't get that.

The air conditioning vents blow right on the bed. It is impossible to sleep with cold air right on you, so we decided to use the ceiling fan, since it was not too warm outside. When I turned on the fan, dust flew off of it and it clicked with every turn, so we just suffered through the night. No sleep, needless to say.

We ordered the identical in-room breakfast every day and each day it was different and a different price. Yes, they did adjust that at check out.

We put the room-service tag outside our door for an early breakfast delivery one morning - waited and waited - only to discover the tag was still on the door in the morning and never picked up.

Our check out bill charged us $50 for each night of our stay for valet parking, even though we self-parked and never used the valet. Yes, that was also deducted, but check your bill carefully!

We decided to sit outside the first morning for breakfast, but the table and chairs were so dirty we had to wipe them down with wet towels. The towels were very black from that! The table had sticky food on it and the patio pavers were dirty and had bird poop on them. When I called housekeeping to clean the patio, they told me the patios were only cleaned "by request." I requested our patio be cleaned that day. Sadly it was never cleaned at all and we could not use the patio. I do not think paying for a dirty patio in a villa is wise, unless when you make your reservation you request a clean patio.

The bed only had two small pillows. Bad pillows. I have never been in any hotel, let alone an Omni, that had only two small pillows on a king bed. We requested two more pillows and never got them.

We are Omni Members, so we are supposed to get free in-room coffee every morning, but we were charged for the coffee.

We are also supposed to get express check in and check out, and did not get that either.

My husband is handicapped and we were surprised that there were only two poorly marked handicap spots in the entire Villa area, which has over 100 rooms. The blue paint has faded and there is no sign, so each evening a car was in the handicap spot near our room, without a blue card displayed. It would be impossible in the dark to know the spot was for handicap parking only.

As a result of this stay at LaCosta, we have cancelled all future travel plans with Omni Hotels and certainly will not return to LaCosta.

One review here said you have to pay for using the resort pools and the wi-fi, but they are free.

Hope this review helps others to have a better time at LaCosta than we did. As we departed we noticed the hotel won some TripAdvisor review award. I was tempted to get out of the car and take the sign down....but didn't.

Room Tip: If you select a villa room, ask that the patio be power washed prior to your arrival. Otherwise it w...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Donnads
Denise C, Manager at Omni La Costa Resort and Spa, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Donnads: Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review the experience. We apologize for the inconveniences and appreciate your frankness here. We certainly take this feedback to heart,
Lubbock, TX
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

My wife and I visited La Costa in July, 2014. It's a great place, but if it's just the two of you, maybe wait until the kids are back in school. I was very surprised at the number of kids with scooters, skateboards, etc. And lots of strollers.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
      Location

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

Paris, France
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

We went to La Costa Resort to visit family and friends who live in the area. We rented a "villa" which is really a larger hotel room. The villa was nice but in poor repair. The carpet had very large stains on it. The coffee maker didn't work. One of the beds had dirty sheets when we arrived. Ick.

Overall, the resort is lovely. Wonderful spa and gym. Restaurants, a large outdoor plaza.

Unfortunately, even at 10 PM the plaza area was mobbed with small children, seemingly without parents running around like crazy.

With so few nice resorts in this area, I guess this is a nice place to go but the villas cost over $500 per night, not sure it's worth it.

Food and beverage are expensive, service is poor.

Room Tip: The older rooms in the hotel are worse than the villas. Make sure you look at the room to make sure...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank SherryReckas
Dear SherryReckas: So pleased to hear that you enjoyed the Spa and the Athletic Club here. We appreciate your comments on other details of your stay and are reviewing them with our team as we continually strive to provide an excellent guest experience. We appreciate that you've taken the time to post this review.
Scottsdale, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I have enjoyed the resort over the years, however, after this recent stay I will not return. I was disappointed in the food, the peaceful/tranquil environment of the past now is disrupted by unsupervised children and screaming parents. I am a parent myself and love children but did not expect what I experienced this stay. I would not recommend this resort for business travelers.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
      Location

Review collected in partnership with Omni Hotels & Resorts

1 Thank Karen G
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

With only a few hours before my flight to LAX, my 15 year old twin nieces decided to join my So. Ca. party and fly from NJ to meet their Aunt in LA. We whisked down to La Costa and were very happy to arrive in this fabulous resort!! Beautiful, Spacious,Gracious and Uber family oriented. I upgraded my room and really loved where we "landed" a sitting area which became a pull out queen for the princesses and a lovely king bed for me. We thoroughly enjoyed the two pools, a steamy jacuzzi and a fire pit right outside our door-which we much preferred over the bigger resort pool which was very crowded and lots of tots. Although,The girls did take a few turns down the slide and did put in some great runs in the 3 days we were there. The food was great! The wine was fine! The suite was not brand new but extremely well maintained. The linens were lovely. The bathroom and dressing area was perfect..can I say more? Because i was there on business, I did not get a chance to "SPA" but explored it a bit and vow to return. I felt totally comfortable with the girls roaming the huge property on their own while i was knee deep in meetings. It really is a self contained village-shops and restaurant choices, lots of cool activities for kids of all ages. VERY relaxing. We even drove down to Encinitas to shop-what we girls love to do..and had a great time. We found lots of fun stuff to buy-beachy vibe, nice people. My only regret is that we couldn't stay longer. The staff was extremely accommodating and very friendly. I recommend it highly..and don't miss the cinnamon rolls in the market place for breakfast or the burgers and fries for a casual dinner...DELICIOUS!!!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mary G
Dear MaryG: It's wonderful to hear that your nieces were able to join you during your stay and that you had a relaxing visit! We hope it becomes a treasured family tradition and that you are able to return soon.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed here a couple of days for a fairly large meeting. First, I must say the hotel managed the meeting to perfection. All activities were coordinated to perfection. The room they gave us was fantastic. It had a fireplace,huge bathroom and a small kitchen.

The hotel grounds are beautiful. Everything is well kept. I did not use the golf course or tennis courts but they looked really nice. The main square of the hotel has a good coffee shop with 24 hour food, a really nice near the front desk and just a very enjoyable area.

The pools are varied and great for kids. The adult pool is great for couples who just want to have an awesome vista with a drink.

The Spa is magnificent. If you get a treatment you can spend the entire day at their private pool and have lunch and enjoy drinks.

The only downside is the relatively large size of the hotel. But you can always call for a golf cart.

Tip: Try to rent a car and drive around the area. It is beautiful.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near the "center" of the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
Fairmont Grand Del Mar
#1 of 279 in San Diego
5.0 of 5 stars 1,234 reviews

Been to Omni La Costa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!