“Won't be back!” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Chantilly, Virginia
“Won't be back!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2008

My family stayed at La Costa Resort for almost week beginning 7/5/08. Although our kids enjoyed the kiddie pool areas, our room was by the golf course and was shabby. The carpet in the halls was stained and the carpet in the room felt damp, as if it had been flooded recently and dried out. The room smelled musty and we had to open the windows every time we came into the room to get out the smell. It was frustrating that the housekeeping staff would keep raising the thermostat temp each day, when I was trying to keep the room cool. I got the feeling that the bathroom had been renovated, but not anything else.

The spa was large and overall fine, but the facial was definitely not worth the money. My opinion about the spa may be biased since I have been to some extremely nice spas in Hawaii and DC. I tend to linger in the spa, so my husband was surprised to see me back so soon, but really, the spa wasn't great enough to want to stay a lot longer past the service.

Next time, I'll stay at the Four Seasons.

• 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

803 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
washington
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2008

Loved the look and smell of the grounds. Loved the spa, even at those prices. For a gym rat like me, I didn't care for the gym. The cardio machines were weathered and outdated. I took a class and the guy was 5-10 min late and ended the class 5-10 minutes early, not worthy of my 15 dollars. When I saw that the same person was teaching spinning the next day I didn't even bother. Otherwise, La Costa was a great place for my family. The uncrowded waterslides and the convenience of Kidtopia were a hit!

Stayed April 2008
Tampa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2008

I was only there 4 days but the golf on the North course was fantastic. There was a problem with contining play on the second day and the staff bent over backwards to accomodate us. I can't thank them enough. We were able to go out later in the day and finish our round. The weather was great and eating outside at the Legends Grill was beautiful as was the service from Carlos. Thank you Carlos. Dinner at the Blue Fire Grill was equally good. I'm sorry I don't remember our waitress's name but she was great. I can't believe how everybody smiles and It is not a fake smile. They really enjoy their work and are having fun. The property was a bloom with flowers and everywhere you looked was a site to behold. The room in the villas overlooking the pool was to die for. I even went shopping in their plaza and I don't like to shop. But they had some interesting items and even though I was only going to window shop, I still ended up buying presents to take home. I do remember Sara. She took a lot of time to help me. What a resort! I guess you can say I had a really great time.

• Liked — 1. The Golf 2. The Food. 3. The room with a balcony and a great view
  • Disliked — There was nothing to not to like
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
Elk Grove,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2008

The La Costa Resort and Spa in Carlsbad, Ca is a beautiful resort. The swimming pools are spectacular and so is the hot tub. The employees are excellent and most helpful. The restaurant food at the Ledgers was delicious. The rooms are immaculately clean and the beds were very confortable. Also, the weather was excellent.

• Liked — Pools and restaurant
  • Disliked — Nothing was wrong
cerritos, ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

Stayed the weekend at La Costa and were very impressed, the facilities are superb. We were very impressed with how family friendly the facilities were. We have a 2 1/2 year old boy and a 8 mths old baby girl and La Costa accomidated us quite well. They have a kiddie pool that has a 0 entrance so my 8mths old daughter could sit in the pool, not to mention the entrance into the pool is all sand which makes the swimming experience for the kids a whole lot more fun . The kiddie pool is only 1 1/2-2 feet deep so it is perfect for the little ones, they have a play area with build in fountains and water shooting up from the ground for the kids to run around and play near the pool, they have a small kiddie water slide that doesn't dump the kids into a pool of water so even a 2 1/2 year old could go on it without them having to go completely under water-very impressed. La Costa also has a play area for the kids so if you parents want to hang out by the pool without the kiddios they have a whole program with all kinds of activities for them(indoors-right near the pool area), they also have a nursery area for the infants which my 8 mths old ended up napping for 2 hours (very clean) in one of there 4 cribs. The only thing is you have to schedule an apointment (2hour window) for the kids to stay for a limited time and it's a little pricey in my opinion it's 16/hr per kid so when you have two kids and they stay for just two hours it ended up being over 60 bucks(I think they give a 10 percent discount for the second kid but it comes out to like a dollar off an hour-they should give a better deal for the second kid in my opinion), but our 2 1/2 had a blast (and he is not very good with new places-people)
La costa has all kinds of activities going on for the kids-movie night and other activities during the day it is deffinetly not only just a place for adults-the kids will have a blast. The staff at La Costa were very friendly, they provide a play pen crib in your room if you don't want to pack one (free of charge-) they also have complementary strollers for you to borrow if you don't want to bring yours from home-so packing for this trip to La Costa was a lighter load for all you parents that end up having to bring everything on a trip. When you first arrive if you have kids they have a little goodie bag for the kids and a VIP pass that gets them free things during there stay at the resort. Overall our stay was very enjoyable and we will deffinetly be returning someday soon.

• Liked — How kid friendly the resort was.
  • Disliked — The price of kidtopia.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
Tucson Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2008

I had read several reviews before our stay and sadly found all the negative comments to be true. The rooms were not cleaned to my standards, the bed linens were a little shabby, the staff was not attentive. In fact requesting anything from housekeeping, extra towels, pillows or even the bathrobes that were supposed to be in our room at check-in but were not, took 3 phone calls to houskeeping staff to get someone's attention.
For a resort hotel that charges big $$ they cheap-out on the little things,too few towels, tissues, wastebaskets, no turn-down services.
Our room had a small patio, the table and chairs in the three days we were there, never had the leaves and dirt wiped off them. The hotel also charges quite a bit more than other resorts for internet, valet parking and "resort "fees that are mandatory.
Next time I'll go back to the Four Seasons down the street, the staff always treats you great and the rooms are much cleaner.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — cleanliness and unresposive staff
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

Mr. David Nelson arranged a Family and Friends gathering of approximately fifty people. Moms, Pops, Uncles, Aunts, Grandmas, Grandpas, Cousins, and youngsters of all ages friends from near and far came together at the La Costa Resort in Carlsbad, CA.
It was the most perfect place to have such a group together.
Cabanas were provided, comfortable chairs around tables filled with delicious appetizers, lovely servers attended to our every wish and served drinks to each and every one who asked.
Every personal service, massage, spa, golf, tennis, swimming and anything else that one could imagine was at our fingertips.
The management was wonderfully responsible for our comfort and pleasure. They are to be commended for their most gracious handling of such a varied group. We all were so happy with our time together. We spent the night in lovely rooms, wonderful beds, and felt so overwhelmed by it all.. It could not have been better!
Thank you dear David, and thank you La Costa for making such an event one to remember forever!

• Liked — The Staff Helpful and friendly
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Omni La Costa Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!