“Very poor service and amenities” 2 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #19 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago
“Very poor service and amenities”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

1) Constant pounding (7AM-10PM) from children running and jumping in unit above. After initially being told that the "quiet policy" is from 9PM to 9AM, I explained that the constant pounding was intolerable. Front manager said he would "speak" with people. Said no other units were available for the week. Problem continued the same for the week without any followup from the front manager.
2) Jack hammer work directly outside the door 9AM-5PM.
3) Almost all grills were broken and poorly lighted. No help to figure out how to use them.
4) Constant requests to bring up concerns: "we accept the highest rating only" absurd given the poor service.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2009

I stayed at the Pacific Palisades in August, 2008 and found it to be a wonderful experience. The front desk personnel were friendly and professional and answered my questions with a smile. My room was spacious, very clean and supplied with all the "extras" which makes it very nice and comfy. I would not hesitate to stay there again. Keep up the good work!

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2009

We selected this property because we were traveling with children and planned to go to Legoland, Legoland's SeaLife and to Sea World. You can't beat the location if you want to walk into Legoland and need the flexibility to get back to your hotel without having to drive a long ways.
The property has a good pool that has some children's water features. Our children (3 and 1 year at the time) were a little young for the water features - the older kids dominated. There is another little play area that is good for kids with a slide and some climbing bars.
One thing that we had a hard time with is that in September and again in late Feb, 2009 the hotel was booked to capacity - therefore if you have a problem with a room (our friends had a terrible ant infestation in September) there are no rooms available if you need to move.
Also, I'm rating this hotel a number of months later because we planned to go to the Carlsbad area late February, 2009 and our friends (with the ant problem) were bounced out of the Grand Pacific so I thought I should rate our Sept, 08 and non-existent Feb, 09 stays. Our friends received a call a couple of hours before check-in and learned that the hotel had a problem and that they would not be able to stay at the property. The hotel did make accomodations - but if they didn't know the area and if they didn't have a car (to drive around and find another hotel) - well you can imagine it wouldn't have been a great vacation.
So, the moral of the story - if you are going to stay during a very busy time (apparently late Feb through summer since the flower fields will be blooming but aren't yet as of today, 3/1/09) - have a back up plan in case something goes wrong. If you do stay and need space - try to get the two bedroom condos - there was plenty of room for a family of four or more.

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
camarillo
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2009

Ok,

Well first we were supposed to take this trip on a timeshare preview , but we were kicked out of that since our friends were traveling with us, so we booked with the hotel directly.

We arrived about 12 noon and were able to retreive the last "ocean view" room for an X tra $25. So we did. The room was nice, but please, bring your own pillows as the ones in the rooms are as hard as rocks! You feel as if your neck is being pushed forward when you sleep!

I am really dissapointed that the only place to eat is at the brewery next door, which can be expensive. You would have to drive otherwise.

The staff was friendly at check in, however, upon check out, the guy at the desk seemed kind of non chalant. I gave him my credit card and he stated it would not go through, so I used another. Well low and behold, it worked at the restaraunt next door, plus he never sent the luggage cart requested.

It is a nice hotel, but overpriced, considering you can stay down the hill at Holiday Inn and receive a free breakfast! Not worth the money!

• Liked — The nice young girl at check in
  • Disliked — No food amenites, lack of choices.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
lizyo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2008

. I stayed at this hotel during my birthday, which turned out to be a bad one, due to several reasons. 1. Not walking distance to the beach unless you plan on walking a good distance. 2. 11 pm was when we got kicked out of the hot tub, mind you the spas very far from the rooms so disturbing any guest would be quit difficult unless I had a blow horn and 50 people with me having a party! 3. I asked room service for a fork and knife, I had a strange non-English man come to my room without and utensils to I guess verify what I needed, which I couldn’t communicate with him on what i needed, only with my hand gestures indicating I needed a fork and knife he never came back. 4. There late checkout policy only gives you a half hour lee-way (whoop D Doo) and last this is the big one, I left 2 brand new dresses still in its garment bag with tags attached (birthday dresses) in the closet realizing my mistake just several hours later but already back to Arizona, I called the hotel and was given the run around for almost 2 weeks my dresses were never found the GM never returned my calls, the "main" security guy was apparently sick. I finally contacted Corporate, whom finally made the Gm call me. Till this day no dresses were ever returned to the lost in found. But the up side corporate is sending me a check in the amount of the 2 dresses. This still won’t arrive for another 2 weeks

• Liked — The shower head
  • Disliked — That they hire thieves
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2008

Lovely resort - very clean, extremely friendly staff, exceptional concierge service. This resort is good for families and adults, with separate pools, extremely clean and beautiful grounds, convenient to many sites. We had a well appointed large one bedroom condominium, full kitchen, with patio on the first floor, by the children's pool, and still very quiet. Large bathroom plus an additional, adjacent sink and dressing area. Good room service from on-site restaurant - delivered as promised. My grandchildren, boy 8 and girl 5, didn't want to leave the pool one day--lots of fun in the water play area. DVD players with two tvs, many videos to choose from. Nice little "store" to buy treats, clothing but at good prices. We can't wait to return!

• Liked — The beautiful grounds and friendly staff
  • Disliked — Not enough towels but delivered more when requested
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
The Bay Area, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

While planning our trip to Legoland with my grandson of 9 y.o., i searched the TripAdvisor site and clicked the link promising an incredible deal with a five star resort "in a walking distance" by the theme park. It was very tempting to get a resort room “ for a song” (i.g. two hours marketing show). I called 800 number and checked every detail of the deal or that what I thought. The company name is GrateMiniVacations.com
We drove down So. Cal. From the East Bay, and came after 8 pm. The agent of the above company was not there to meet us, so, we asked the front desk of the resort hotel about the room we booked through its partner. A very polite young man Trevor told us that the marketing reps are never working that late, and he was not supposed to do anything with our reservation, but he would as we looked tired and had a child with us. We were very thankful for his kindness – until we saw the room #109.
I’ve heard before that every hotel has a so called under-furnished room, but I never had a chance to see any of this kind. In this Grand Pacific it was the room on the first floor at the very corner of the building, so all coming and living cars were flashing their light over its window.
We booked double queen but got a king bed plus a ‘roll in’ for a boy, and hardly had a space to walk around. There was only one crooked lamp by the king bed, with one bulb out of two working.
On the walls, here and there, I saw traces of mirrors or pictures which were there some time ago.
The bathroom had a shower curtain with thick black marks (dirt or mold, I do not know)
I called the front desk about changing the room, but the same assistant politely assured me that we were lucky to get the very last available room in the whole resort.
Next morning, I tried to find the GreatMiniVacation representative – alas! The corner under the sign Hilton was empty, except the parrot in a big cage.
Again, I came to the front desk with a question about our free tickets to Legoland. Olivia was on duty that morning, and she was very sweet to ask me if I want to be “pre-gifted” – otherwise , the tickets were supposed to be in my hands AFTER the marketing show scheduled for me and my husband that Friday night. What we were supposed to do the whole day with the child ready to try all rides in Legoland?
The same Olivia kindly agreed to change our room and have the housekeeping move all our belongings.
We had a happy day in the park, came to a new room with two queen beds, multiple lamps, mirrors and little fridge. The window looked out to a very close wall but it was OK. Than we noticed that the head boards did not want to stay in place and had a tendency to move towards the nightstand.
The first day we left for the Legoland about 10 am (we used the hotel shuttle which service is complimentary and very convenient). When we came back for a break about 4 pm, the room was not cleaned. I put all trash baskets and wet towels out to the corridor, and the room service came in a while, but I did not her to vacuum and such, only got fresh towels, toiletries, etc.
Otherwise, the room was fine, though not for 5 stars, too small for it, I think. I would never pay $300+ for such a room (as it was at the time of our trip).
At the time of check out, the front desk assistant asked us if we enjoyed our $50.00 certificate for meals at the resort’s restaurant. We were supposed to receive it when we arrive to the resort, but we did not.
As a part of the deal, we had the marketing show selling pieces of Hilton Resort in the same area. We liked the idea of using points worldwide, but had no time to discuss the details as all members of sales team were rushing out of the door about 10 pm.
We had our grandchild in the complimentary Kid’s Club for the time of the meeting, and it was also closing at 10 pm. When we came to pick him up, he was the only child left there. They did not take kids outside keeping them in stuffy play rooms all the time.

The best part of the resort, we think, is around its pools, one for children with all kinds of water plays, one for adults with amazing view of Carlsbad and the ocean. Both pools are open till 11 pm (9 pm for children but they do not enforce it), some days they have live music. They allow children in the adult pool and Jacuzzi.
That was our experience with the Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and GreatMiniVacations.com. All-in-all, we consider it positive.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel? Share your experiences!