“Get away with the Grandparents” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel packages
Ranked #17 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersSilver level
Seal Beach, California
“Get away with the Grandparents”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Let me start of my complaining that I am home typing this and we wish we were still there in Carlsbad enjoying OUR RESORT!
We packed up the car this AM while the kids were still enjoying the pool and used the shower and amenities in the gym to get the kids ready for the trip home. It did seem like the longest walk to the car ever because my three year old kept saying "we're leaving? I don't wanna go home."

This is what every parent wants when they go away a place where kids are enjoying every minute from start to finish. There were many things here we did not take advantage so I have informed everyone we must go back for the game room and the gym which were really cool. We were just having too much fun and time ran out.
Oh, and shuttle to and from Legoland avoids long lines, long walks and us taking two cars and we did not pay for parking-ding ding!
I have stayed at the Four Seasons, also the Hyatt and this is the place I will come back to because we loved the pool and also how friendly everyone was there on our visit.
I did read some of the other reviews and I think it is important to let you know that we did not have any problems. Our wait was short and I felt like everything was done to make our visit stand out from every where else I have stayed.
I think one of my kids put too much TP in the bathroom and it was taken care of immediately. This is the busiest time of the year for places in Carlsbad because everything you want is so centrally located to the Grand Pacific Palisades.
I think you must always be honest when you have an excellent stay as well as have a few mishaps. But when they are taken care of you have to give credit.
We had an excellent stay from start to finish but apparently 4 nights were not enough. We took the grandparents and we all agree we will be back so thank you to all of our friends there. We will be back!
This is a Family Resort and ideal for all we needed.

Room Tip: Call the hotel ahead of time with any concerns and speak with one of their experts. This was what s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

787 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
long beach
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

I had high hopes for this resort based on the beautiful online pictures however didn't meet my expectations and not in ways I would have thought. First, let me start off by saying that I'm 8 months pregnant with a 4 year old and luggage, so valet was going to be very important for this trip. However, very disappointed after at least five minutes of waiting for someone to come out and help and not a person in sight we proceeded to self park. The good news was at least there was luggage racks down there and I managed to squeeze us into a spot near the elevators. Once in the lobby, there were fairly long lines for check in but a nice tray of cookies so not all bad. We were greeted by a nice front desk guy who gave us our key and maps and 8 month preggo me rolled our luggage upstairs. Imagine my surprise when we open up the door to our room and two pairs of shoes are in it, and bags on the couch. Now unfortunately, I am not the first person at this resort to have said the same thing in their review so I have a feeling this is a problem for them. Major security issue there and note to self, always lock up valuables when you're not in the room. Never know who they'll give a key to. My son and I turned around and unfortunately had to make our way back, luggage and all to the front desk only to wait in more lines. My blood is pretty much boiling at this point as the front desk profusely apologizes and doesn't understand how it could have happened. They exchanged our room for a first view ocean view which was great, however, on the walk to it I was surprised to see bags of trash at almost every door, sunflower seeds all over the floor, I mean the place was a bit of a dump. Pretty surprised that this was a Hilton, I would say more at the caliber of a cheaper Holiday Inn or Econo. And for 200 a night, I think I just expected more. On the bright side they have a nice kids pool, fun activities, however, they need to step it up elsewhere. Update the rooms and get their service in order.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
San Diego
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night forthe first time, to have dinner with friends who were visiting from Virginia. We got ready to go out to dinner as soon as we checked in .When I flushed the toilet, I noticed a big gush of water came out the water tank. I put some towels on the bathroom floor and went downt to the lobby to report the issue and to request a different room. The only lady at the counter was talking to a customer who was complaining about something. After a while, I left and decided to go back to our room as we had to leave for dinner. Because if the issue with the broken tank, we had to use the retrooms outside of our room, very inconvenient and irritating.. I thought the place was beautiful, but the bathroom issue totally ruined it for us. We escaped our house for one night to relax and ended up getting stressed!. I called the lady at the counter and reported the "flooding" . The lady who answered the phone said she will get it taken care of. We came back from dinner later that evening, used the bathroom and a big splash of water came out from the tank again... Obviously had not been fixed or even inspected (the towels I left on the floor earlier were still there). I liked the hotel the beautiful pool (which we didn't get to use) restaurant, flower fields... but I wish we didnt have to deal with the mess and the inconvenience. Hotel staff must pay attention to this type of issue, We like spending a night or 2 at resorts and hotels just to get away, to rest and relax... but I'm having second thoughts about going back to GPP.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2012

Stayed 3 days 2 nights in June 2012. I went with my hubby and 2 children. We stayed in the deluxe room with two queen beds. Staff were very friendly and even let me check in early (I called ahead though). The beds were comfortable enough. I had a mini fridge, microwave and Keurig coffee machine in the room. The famous flower beds were not in bloom in June. If you want to see them, call the hotel and ask them when they are in season. Their 'private entrance' to Legoland is not walking distance, but the hotel offered shuttle service and pickup to the hotel which was nice. There are two pools, 1 for adults and the other for kids and family. The adult pool is beautiful and quiet.

Room Tip: Let front desk know that you do not want your room facing the parking lot. It can get noisy at times...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

We had a quick trip for a few days to San Diego. A quick visit to Sea World! In the past we had stayed at Grand Pacific and had a great experience in the Condos. The room was very cleanI was pleased to find that the Hotels were just as nice. The staff was very warm and friendly. There are many choices when you stay near San Diego, I would suggest that you give Grand Pacific Palisades a try.

Room Tip: I had a awesome view of the Pacific Ocean on the hotel side. I didn't even ask for it but it was...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bentonville, Arkansas
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

Stayed in June 2012 for a week with family -- 4 adults and 3 children. We had a two bedroom condo -- wanted a 3 bedroom but there were already sold out when we booked 6 months earlier. Was expecting a lot more from this resort. It is nice, but nothing special for something you'd expect from the location and southern California.
Condo was a bit dated. They have installed flat screen televisions in the rooms. Kitchen was nicely stocked and had about everything you need to cook if you choose to do so. Had maid service three times during our stay -- had to call and ask for one of them. Maid service in the condos consisted of changing towels and emptying the trash.
The one thing that I found unusual about this resort was there was no gift shop/store on site. No place to buy bottled drinks, sunscreen, etc. I have never stayed in a resort that didn't have some basic items on site.
Staffing at the resort was lacking. Three times I went to the front desk to get pool towels, ask questions, etc. only to find 3 to 4 people waiting in line and only one person working the front desk. Waited over 15 minutes each time and just gave up and went back to the room.
Underground parking is very nice. Vehicle stays cool and out of the sun. Quick elevator access gets you to your vehicle very quickly.
Overall I was ok with the resort, but sure expected a lot more since it is part of the Hilton vacation club. The employee working the vacation desk for Hilton told me this resort was just added to the Hilton vacation club and they had 4 others in the area that are nicer.
Great restaurant on site!

Room Tip: 2nd or 3rd floor condos face the ocean. 1st floor condos, which we had, overlook a garden area -- n...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
, General Manager at Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
“Thank you for your valuable feedback. We want you to know that whenever possible we take immediate action to take your suggestions and turn them into opportunities to raise the bar at the resort. This is definitely the case here, and we are glad that have given us the chance to make this right for future guests and hopefully your return visit. Please contact me directly if I may be of further service.”
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

This property was amazing, we had an ocean view off our balcony. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Upon check out a gal in the elevator asked how are day was and where we were from. Also having the Karl Strouss restaurant on Property was great, enjoyed the drinks at happy hour.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Grand Pacific Palisades would like to say thank you so much for your wonderful comment. As the General Manager here, I love to hear all feedback, good and bad, but of course, when the "excellent" feedback presents itself, we are very thrilled. I sincerely hope you come back and visit us again. Grand Pacific Palisades is all about treating our guests well, while creating wonderful, family memories. Thank you again - Holly Ansley, General Manager

Been to Grand Pacific Palisades Resort and Hotel? Share your experiences!