“Fabulous, dog friendly, & comfy” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Ramada Carlsbad

You added Ramada Carlsbad to your Saves list
Ramada Carlsbad
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   751 Macadamia Drive, Poinsettia exit off I-5, Carlsbad, CA 92011   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #33 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
VA
“Fabulous, dog friendly, & comfy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2010

I love being close to the ocean when I travel. This hotel is a couple blocks to the ocean, & a couple blocks to I-5. Great location.
I travel with my dog. From checking in, I received a free upgrade to a room with a sitting room & kitchen, complete with refrig, stove et al. Very nice to have an area apart from the bedroom, so when folks came over, we did not sit in my bedroom.
The first night, I relaxed in the outdoor jacuzzi, by a waterfall & was the only one- quite nice.
I used the simple yet adequate fitness room to keep up with working out while on the road.
Breakfasts were great! Hot items, including oatmeal, eggs, waffles, & more. Much better than continental style cereal or pastries.
The front desk was awesome. Made recommendations, as I said the free upgrade & when it came time to leave & return my car rental, they let me borrow a vacuum to clean the car conveniently. There is organic foods in the front lobby if you don't feel like running to the store.
Very pleased & will return again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
hotelmanager54, General Manager at Ramada Carlsbad, responded to this review, March 26, 2010
Thank you so much for describing your stay with us as the kind of experience we aspire to provide each day. We simply want our guests to enjoy themselves during their stay and for our staff to meet their every need, I am delighted you will stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Polish first
MELBOURNE,AUSTRALIA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2010

We stayed at the Ramada for only one night on the 11th of march, room 201.
We were staying in Anaheim for our disneyland holiday and wanted to include Legoland for our Lego-mad kids. Rather than drive down and back for two days we thought we would hire a room and at least get one full day at Legoland. On that basis the Ramada served its purpose. We were only here for one night so didn't see much point in complaining about anything however, if we were staying any longer I would have been disappointed.

The hotel was easy enough to find and close to Legoland which was the main reason we chose it. On checking-in we were offered the second or third floors. We took the second floor on the advice of the Clerk as the room looked over the pool and was on the inside of the complex. The third floor looked over the I-5 and was on the outside which I geuss would have been somewhat noisy.
The Room was in need of renovating. The front door lock had been broken at some stage and didn't look real safe. The Bathroom door needed a shoe to keep it closed as when you turned the light on, the fan started automatically and sucked the door open.
The kitchen as was mentioned by another reviewer was indeed empty, save for coffee and tea. No cutlery, crockery etc...

The fold out bed did just manage to fold out without hitting the drawers used to hold the TV on. We did hire a game on the TV system but weren't charged for it as the system had not been completely set up at that time. The carpet was newish but dirty and one bedspread was stained.

The breakfast though was great and we filled up before heading off to Legoland.
The staff were pleasant enough.

I don't want to beat up on the Ramada as it served its purpose for us, that being somewhere to sleep so we could do 2 days at Legoland, but if you did plan to stay here longer than that or were making it your main holiday destination I think you will be disappointed.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
hotelmanager54, General Manager at Ramada Carlsbad, responded to this review, March 24, 2010
Thank you for staying at our Ramada when visiting Legoland. We are pleased you found our location convenient and that you enjoyed the breakfast buffet. We are constantly working on improvements to the hotel and hope you will visit us again soon.
Shorewood, iL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2010

Spent four nights. Had the kitchenette and Ralph's is only a mile away - makes it an even better value. Weather was not too great, but how do you blame the Ramada for that?? The breakfast was awesome (especially the pecan rolls - microwave for 20 seconds). Front desk personnel were great too.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
hotelmanager54, General Manager at Ramada Carlsbad, responded to this review, March 17, 2010
It's always nice to hear a new item to the breakfast menu has been well received because we are consistantly working to improve our guests experience. Thank you for your comments and visit us again soon.

montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2010

We stayed here for 8 nights in February, and absolutley loved the place. The rooms are pretty small, but have all the amenities you could desire. Our room had the full kitchen which allowed us to save a lot of money by eating most meals in. The sleeper sofa was a bit akward that when opened it went righ up to the bureau, but we nevr found this to be any real problem. The breakfast was a real treat, and the ladies who run that area every morning are very gracious and hardworking, constantly seeing to it that every one has a clean place to sit and some hot fesh food.

The pool and garden area are supberb, really giving the place a resort type feel. The pool was heated and sparkling clean, with fresh towels laid out at every lounge chair.

As for some of the comments regarding cleanliness...My husband and I have never seen a harder working group of housekeepers. From early in the morning until around 9pm every night something was being cleaned..rooms, windows, pool, outdoor furniture, lobby..etc. Any request we had was met and quickly.

The bottome line: For the price, the locations, and the staff, I do not think you could do much better in the Carlsbad area. This is one of the most family friendly hotels I have ever stayed at.

The cons: Rooms on the side of the highway can be quite noisy, but this is a big hotel with lots of rooms so just make the request when booking. Also, there are a lot of families with children so if having lots of kids aroud is not your idea of fun, then you may prefer to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
hotelmanager54, General Manager at Ramada Carlsbad, responded to this review, March 16, 2010
I am pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next visit.

Lakewood, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2010

My family stayed here on a Sunday night before going to Legoland. We were given what is physically correctly described as a two room suite with kitchen. I was thrilled, thinking we could cook something for the kids and not have to go out. Unfortunately the room was tiny, badly in need of renovations, and only surface clean. We found crumbs on the stove, grease on the fridge, rusty refrigerator shelves, and an oven completely lined with foil (I didn't bother to find out what was underneath). Oh, and the kitchen is completely unstocked. Not a pan, spatula, dish or fork in sight. Not even a roll of paper towels. You can call the front desk for a "dishpack", but the fact that they couldn't keep those items in the room made me feel uncomfortable about the safety in the area.

As far as the two room part, the living area was barely wide enough to pull out the sofa bed, and the eating area was two chairs against a counter extension. The bedrooms were small and the bedroom that had the TV in it had the TV on one side of the bed, about 12" away from the bed. It wasn't a small TV, which made for a very mind numbing viewing experience.

My big issue was that the room just wasn't clean. It was old, that I can live with, but if you have rooms that are old, they have to be spotless, and this one wasn't. While the surfaces had been wiped clean, the ledges, wall backslpash tiles, corners and crevices were all dirty. The grout in all rooms was filthy and the air conditioners were horribly noisy, one was so loud we couldn't even use it. The other made the entire room smell when we turned it on.

The scariest part of our stay was the railing on the second floor. The spacing was wide and you definitely want to keep small children away from it.

The best parts of this hotel were the pool area and the breakfast. The pool is heated and the pool area was clean. The breakfast was nice and there were more beverage options than you would usually find at a hotel this size, the young lady restocking the buffet was friendly.

In all fairness, I will note that I did not call the hotel front desk with my concerns. The check-in clerk was lackadaisical at best and once we'd unpacked all of the toddler paraphernalia and really looked around, it didn't seem worth the effort for just one night. And for those that complained the hotel is noisy, it does back up to the freeway, but we did not find our freeway facing room excessively noisy.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing your comments. At the Ramada Carlsbad we strive to provide an excellent experience for our guests and I apologize that it was not what you had hoped for. Please know that I will address the issues promptly.

Valencia, ca.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2010

My family and I made our second weekend getaway with the kids this past weekend and stayed at out favorite 'kid friendly' hotel near San Diego. A short drive to SeaWorld this time and all of the great amenities one could ask for. A (well priced)two bedroom suite, a kitchen to cook the family a Valentines-Day dinner (We spared all of you romantic couples from our well-behaved children), a heated pool where our kids made several new friends, and best of all.....a deluxe hot breakfast included with our stay. No complaints here. Well, maybe just one: We were told by the front desk that Sea World opened at 9 and it didn't open until 10. That's o.k., we were first in line for the rides and it helped build anticipation. Plenty of restaurants in the are to visit...TGI Fridays, BJ's, and Pizza places. Our last visit was to Legoland (where you will pay the same for a family of four that you can stay here for 4 nights if you get a good rate). If you expect the Hilton, stay elsewhere. If you expect a clean room , friendly service, great location, excellent breakfast, and overall value...stay here.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
hotelmanager54, General Manager at Ramada Carlsbad, responded to this review, May 16, 2010
We hope to have you visit your "Beach House Getaway" this summer! The weather is warming up and it's the perfect time to take a walk to the beach or have breakfast out on the patio while the children enjoy the pool. Legoland has a new addition which promises to be very fun for the children. Thank you for your wonderful comments when you last stayed in February.
St. Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

I found this Ramada during my first visit to Carlsbad. What a great find. I was traveling with my colleague on business and found this location had easy access to anywhere while in this area. I was given a two room suite with two TV’s, kitchen and a super fast internet connection. This hotel offered a super clean room, friendly staff, a great breakfast at a good price. I will be back.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
hotelmanager54, General Manager at Ramada Carlsbad, responded to this review, February 11, 2010
Thank you for staying at the Ramada Carlsbad during your first visit to Carlsbad. We are pleased to know that on your next visit you will once again stay with us. When making your reservation, do not hesitate to share any specific request you may have so that we may continue to meet your needs..