“Exceeded Expectations” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Atlanta
“Exceeded Expectations”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2007

My husband and I were exploring the San Diego area for a possible relocation. We wanted something close to the beach, but also convenient to the Interstate and shopping. Tripadvisor led me to check out the Pelican Cove Inn. I spoke with Nancy the Innkeeper over the phone and her warm personality led us to believe this would be a great place to stay. It was absolutely perfect for us! We stayed in the Pacific Room and my brother stayed next door in the Del Mar. Our room was HUGE with a family size seating area next to the fireplace. The bed is a four poster feather bed and I needed to use the stool to climb onboard. The bath is large with a wonderful soaking jacuzzi tub.
If you're in need of a large shower, this one may be a little small for you, but the rest of the room is spacious with lots of closet space as well as a dining table with chairs. The photos on the website do not do justice to the actual accommodations. Nancy prepared a different breakfast for us each day. We had scrambled eggs and french toast and bacon and she even came up with scotch eggs in honor of my husband's UK heritage. She loaned us her Thomas Guide to help us get around and even loaned us her umbrella during our one day of rain. It's a short couple of blocks to a beautiful walking beach where you can eat fish and chips and watch the surfers. Another block over and you're in the village of Carlsbad. A quaint , lovely town with a train running right through the middle. I can't say enough about Nancy's attention to our comfort. If you're lucky, you'll get to meet her dog Lucy. As you can see, we highly recommend the Inn and are looking forward to our return trip.

• Liked — The spacious room, the convenience to the beach, and Nancy the Innkeeper (and of course Lucy the dog)
  • Disliked — the shower is small
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2006

I have stayed at the Pelican Cove Inn a total of seven times over the past two years. Needless to say, I love the place. I'm always on business, and I stay here because it's incredibly relaxing. The Inn is located in the bucolic "village" section of Carlsbad, only three blocks from one of the most beautiful beaches in So. California. It's a leisurely stroll away, through a safe neighborhood, to restaurants and bars. Nancy, the Innkeeper, is probably the most gracious person I have ever met. She spares no effort in making her guests comfortable.

Rooms are comfortable and pleasantly appointed, and each bed comes with a down comforter. Some of the rooms have gas fireplaces. Morning breakfast is a delight, with a vegetarian option available for the asking. If you don't care to eat in the dining room, you can take a tray to your room. Beach chairs and towels are available at no extra charge, as is wireless internet.

I love to go running at daybreak on the beach. Then, after breakfast, it's only about a 25 minute drive to La Jolla, slightly further to San Diego. I travel extensively for business and pleasure, and I always stay in B&Bs. The Pelican Cove Inn is one of my favorites. It's not fancy, nor does it pretend to be. But it's mighty sweet.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2005

I stayed for a couple of nights at Pelican Cove. Overall, it's a nice place to stay.

I booked the Coronado room on the first floor. It was spacious, with a spa tub and a gas fireplace.

My only complaint is the noise. When the folks upstairs in La Jolla returned around 11:00 or 12:00 at night, I could hear their footsteps and bumping around quite a bit before they went to bed.

The rooms are all along exterior corridors, which is unusual for a B&B. If you have some latecomers or early risers staying there, be aware that you will hear them walking up and down the stairs outside your room and chatting outside your door in the mornings and evenings.

The breakfasts are tasty and nutritiously balanced. The innkeeper, Nancy, is very attentive and a bundle of energy.

The neighborhood surrounding Pelican Cove is "so-so." Although Nancy recommended walking into downtown Carlsbad late at night for a bite to eat, I did not feel comfortable doing that.

The amenities are nice. I had free use of the beach chairs and towels. The beach is two and a half blocks away. Just be careful crossing the street getting over to the beach--use the pedestrian walk.

• Stayed April 2005
Minneapolis, MN
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2005

We just returned from a weekend at Pelican Cove. This is a lovely place to have a weekend getaway. Just a short walk to the beach, shops, restaurants, etc. We stayed in the Santa Barbara room, which is very large, with a king sized bed and supersized dressing room. The room was spotless. Nancy is like a favorite aunt you love to stay with - chatty, full of suggestions on what to do, etc. And she makes the most wonderful breakfasts. If you are tired of the typical unsatisfying hotel stays, this is the place for you!

• Stayed April 2005
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2005

Loved the place! Great location! Minutes from the Outlet Mall. Would recommend to friends for a quick getaway from OC! Tucked away from the busy streets, just a couple of blocks from the ocean! Walking distance to great restaurants and shops!

We stayed in the Capistrano! Lovely room! Quiet & clean, sweetly decorated with large feather bed and fireplace! Chocolates in the room was a nice touch.

Breakfast was absolutely delicious! Nancy is a fantastic and knowledgeable hostess! It's the attention to the details that impressed us the most and made us feel welcome during our stay!

• Stayed February 2005
phoenix arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2005

I love this charming bed and breakfast and mostly Nancy, the darling innkeeper. She wants so much to make her guests happy and comfortable, you'll feel like she's your darling loving sister. I don't always like the group-think at B & B's and Nancy is set up to give you as much privacy as you want, including fixing breakfast on a tray for your room or one of the pretty patios. I've stayed in every one of the rooms and like La Jolla and Laguna best. Laguna is tiny but so bright and sunny. You'll be two easy blocks' walk from the beach and it's a great beach for boogie boarding, with lifeguards. The waves can be a little too big for toddlers but your elementary and teen kids will love it -ask Nancy to recommend someone to give them surfing lessons! My kids loved it! Nancy provides boogie boards, beach chairs, towels, everything you need except surf boards. You can walk to really good restaurants -Vigilucci's steak and seafood is very good for low carb special night out dining, and Cessie's makes a great fish taco --it's right next to the liquor store and 7-Eleven --both easy walks from Pelican Cove. It's always very clean and neat, and countrycharming without TOO much of all that foo-foo B&B gingham and dolls. If you want the Four Seasons Aviara and can afford it, go for it, it's close by, but for comfortable, fun and much closer to the beach, for the price, you'll really enjoy this. If you have kids, reserve La Jolla and Del Mar --the rooms connect to make one big suite. The train station is conveniently nearby (an easy way to get from the San Diego Airport), and if the whistle bothers you, ask Nancy for a table fan and it'll drown it out. You'll have a great time pretending you're living in this fun beach town.

• Stayed February 2005, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2004

This was a great stay. all wood furniture. our room balboa was very drafty because of a fan in the window. The breakfast is awesome and nancy is so cool. She let me use the bikes and the location is great, you can walk to the beach. I would stay here again.

Been to Pelican Cove Inn? Share your experiences!