“Loved this Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Loved this Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2011

I travel to Carlsbad every now and then for work and this hotel beats the competition hands down. This was my second time at the West Inn and on both occasions my experience was great and from the check-in to my departure I really appreciated the friendly ad helpful staff.

Both rooms I stayed in were very clean, spacious -as are the en suite bathrooms which come with nice Aveda toiletries- and there is good quality complimentary WiFi. The beds are as comfortable as it gets...couldn't have slept better. There's a pool with a jacuzzi and fitness room, which is nice to unwind at the end of a long day of work. On top of that they offer some small complimentary extras like a wine pour in the afternoon and cookie and milk in the early evening; I didn't manage to try either but a friend who was with me loved the cookies.

The only minor criticism to the hotel is that the breakfast, while nice and plentiful, doesn't live up to the standard of the hotel as a whole, especially the limited choice of warm food and cereals. Still nothing that really decreased how much I enjoyed staying here!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business

742 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Westminster, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2011

We booked this hotel at the last minute when our travel plans abruptly changed....I am so glad we did! Not only is this a richly appointed, immaculate boutique hotel, but it is also perfect for guests with small children. We had a King Suite on the first floor and couldn't have been happier. Our kids, ages 6 and 2, were able to run around and play in the room without fear of damaging delicate items and the in room refrigerator was a great amenity to have for milk, etc. The staff shuttled us to Legoland numerous times and were readily equipped with cars seats and boosters. The evening milk and cookies were a nice treat and the breakfast spread is perfect for adults and picky children alike. My husband and I found this property to be so comfortable and inviting. Finally, a kid friendly hotel that's more than reasonable in price YET doesn't skimp on any of the luxuries! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2011

We stayed in a double king suite with our 2 children aged 7 & 5. It was very spacious and beautifially decorated in modern, contemporary style. Service was great. The kids loved the heated pool and hot tub. The pool was very warm even on chilly January nights. Dining at the Bistro West right next door (50ft from lobby entrance) was fantastic, great food , service and atmosphere. The location was very close to Legoland (5 minutes drive) and we used hotel free shuttle which was very easy and convenient.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Los Alamitos, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2011

My husband and I stayed at the West Inn days before Christmas. We had an nice sleep the rooms are comfortable and so is the rest of the hotel. In the morning we went out to breakfast, I got some hot water to make hot chocolate and the water from their coffee container was SCALDING hot. the cup splashed all over my hand leaving my hand with 1st degree burns. (yes, coffee and hot water should be hot but not SCALDING). I was annoyed, and in pain but still not unhappy with our stay. When we got back to our room I took my wedding & engagement rings off and placed them on the bathroom counter to apply lotion to my burned hand, I ended up forgetting my rings when we checked out.. I called a few hours later when I noticed they were missing (I never take them off so it took me a bit of time) they claim to have looked and talked to the employees and nobody admits taking them. It is apparent that there is some member of their staff who has taken them, and they are unwilling to admit responsibility. I recommend to make sure you keep track of any personal items if you stay here, as there is no way my rings are not in the possession of a staff member.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Chanel&Hunter, General Manager at West Inn & Suites Carlsbad, responded to this review, January 11, 2011
Thank you for choosing West Inn & Suites for your recent visit to Carlsbad. We're sorry to hear of your ring lost during your stay. Please acccept our sincere apologies and know that we will continue to research the specifics of the situation and review those findings with you. As noted in the many favorable reviews we receive, we pride ourselves in providing exceptional service and remain committed to exceeding our guest expectations. We welcome the opportunity for you to contact us directly for further discussion and resolution.
We remain at your service,

Kimberly A. Akers
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

This hotel does everything -- and I mean everything right! My husband and I, along with our two young children, stayed here in December and we were wowed by how perfect this hotel is. We have just returned from a two week trip to the west coast, traveling from San Diego up to San Francisco. Along the way, we stayed at four different hotels and this was -- by far -- our favorite. I was very sad to leave it and move on to our next destination. From the friendly and quick check-in process to the fond farewell, the service was extremely attentive and courteous. The rooms are beautiful, contemporary, and super clean. I think the overall cleanliness is perhaps the key detail that impressed me the most. You will not find a speck of dust anywhere. Even in the parking lot, there were people sweeping -- exactly what they were sweeping I can't say because I certainly didn't see any debris or dirt, but then I guess that's the point: they clean it up before you ever see it. There are many other little things that set this hotel apart and make it feel so special. For instance, the landscaping was being freshened up as we were there. Not in an obtrusive or bothersome way, but a few guys adding new flowering plants to an already beautiful setting. To me, this is the sort of small detail that lets you know that the owners aren't "phoning" it in. They haven't just set everything up and then walked away, but rather, they are continually working to keep things running smoothly and looking beautiful and cared for.

Other details we loved: the beds offer that perfect mix of support and yet soft-comfort; nice big fluffy pillows; uber-soft towels in the bathroom (I hate how -- because of the harsh detergents many hotels use -- the towels are just short of sandpaper. Not so at West Inn, they're white as white clean, but still soft and smooth;) free milk and cookies at night (obviously our kids were over the moon for this feature;) the coziness of the common areas and the nice library/lounge adjacent to the breakfast area; and of course, the free breakfast.

Before booking this hotel I devoured the reviews on this site and was a tiny bit worried about some reviewers mention of this hotel being situated next to the highway. Let me say clearly that you should not give this a SECOND of thought. There is a large fence blocking sight of the highway and the hotel is so well insulated and sound-proofed that I never noticed it. In the end, it actually ended up being an advantage because when we were ready to get back on the road, we first filled up at the very convenient (and just as spotlessly clean) gas station next door and then in ten seconds were on the highway and on our way. You'll also enjoy being able to walk right next door to the Bistro West for dinner. Normally restaurants near hotels aren't that great, but we had a fantastic meal (and outstanding service) at Bistro West. I would definitely dine there again.

I truly wish there were other West Inns because not only would I stay at another in a heartbeat, but I would actively seek them out when making travel plans. It's rare to find such a gem at such a reasonable price, but West Inn is just that. Do not pass it by!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

Beautiful inn and very clean, comfortable, and nice rooms. Beds are also very comfy. We stayed in a 2 room suite, and we were very comfortable. VERY close to Legoland. Lobby and dining area are beautifully decorated, clean, and nice. We ordered room service all three nights we were the. The restaurant served EXCELLENT food, and the price was great for how good the food was. It was better room service food than all the "plush" hotels we've stayed at. We didn't have a bad meal at all. Our only complaint about the inn would be their breakfast selection could be a little more top-notch (different than the restaurant room service). A buffet was offered, but limited, and no high-quality foods. Scrambled eggs look like they came from a carton, scary sausage, you get the picture. Everything else with our stay was wonderful. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. As long as you don't expect a super nice breakfast, this is a very nice stay for the money.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Fallbrook, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

Fabulous, friendly staff. Free breakfast with beverages all day. Easy highway access to everything San Diego has to offer. The Bistro restaurant has an incredibly extensive and delightful menu to please everyone. And their fine dining restaurant, West, is absolutely sublime. The food is some of the best I've eaten in my travels and the wine list is over the top. To make you feel at home, there are cookies and milk in the lobby at night. I was lucky enough to meet the Executive Chef and Dining Room Manager at West, and the Property's General Manager. I just can't say enough good things about the people and the property. I will go back, and back, and back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!