“Do yourself a favor and stay here!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Endless Summer Savings
Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Carlsbad
Boston, Massachusetts
“Do yourself a favor and stay here!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2011

This hotel does everything -- and I mean everything right! My husband and I, along with our two young children, stayed here in December and we were wowed by how perfect this hotel is. We have just returned from a two week trip to the west coast, traveling from San Diego up to San Francisco. Along the way, we stayed at four different hotels and this was -- by far -- our favorite. I was very sad to leave it and move on to our next destination. From the friendly and quick check-in process to the fond farewell, the service was extremely attentive and courteous. The rooms are beautiful, contemporary, and super clean. I think the overall cleanliness is perhaps the key detail that impressed me the most. You will not find a speck of dust anywhere. Even in the parking lot, there were people sweeping -- exactly what they were sweeping I can't say because I certainly didn't see any debris or dirt, but then I guess that's the point: they clean it up before you ever see it. There are many other little things that set this hotel apart and make it feel so special. For instance, the landscaping was being freshened up as we were there. Not in an obtrusive or bothersome way, but a few guys adding new flowering plants to an already beautiful setting. To me, this is the sort of small detail that lets you know that the owners aren't "phoning" it in. They haven't just set everything up and then walked away, but rather, they are continually working to keep things running smoothly and looking beautiful and cared for.

Other details we loved: the beds offer that perfect mix of support and yet soft-comfort; nice big fluffy pillows; uber-soft towels in the bathroom (I hate how -- because of the harsh detergents many hotels use -- the towels are just short of sandpaper. Not so at West Inn, they're white as white clean, but still soft and smooth;) free milk and cookies at night (obviously our kids were over the moon for this feature;) the coziness of the common areas and the nice library/lounge adjacent to the breakfast area; and of course, the free breakfast.

Before booking this hotel I devoured the reviews on this site and was a tiny bit worried about some reviewers mention of this hotel being situated next to the highway. Let me say clearly that you should not give this a SECOND of thought. There is a large fence blocking sight of the highway and the hotel is so well insulated and sound-proofed that I never noticed it. In the end, it actually ended up being an advantage because when we were ready to get back on the road, we first filled up at the very convenient (and just as spotlessly clean) gas station next door and then in ten seconds were on the highway and on our way. You'll also enjoy being able to walk right next door to the Bistro West for dinner. Normally restaurants near hotels aren't that great, but we had a fantastic meal (and outstanding service) at Bistro West. I would definitely dine there again.

I truly wish there were other West Inns because not only would I stay at another in a heartbeat, but I would actively seek them out when making travel plans. It's rare to find such a gem at such a reasonable price, but West Inn is just that. Do not pass it by!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2010

Beautiful inn and very clean, comfortable, and nice rooms. Beds are also very comfy. We stayed in a 2 room suite, and we were very comfortable. VERY close to Legoland. Lobby and dining area are beautifully decorated, clean, and nice. We ordered room service all three nights we were the. The restaurant served EXCELLENT food, and the price was great for how good the food was. It was better room service food than all the "plush" hotels we've stayed at. We didn't have a bad meal at all. Our only complaint about the inn would be their breakfast selection could be a little more top-notch (different than the restaurant room service). A buffet was offered, but limited, and no high-quality foods. Scrambled eggs look like they came from a carton, scary sausage, you get the picture. Everything else with our stay was wonderful. Staff was very friendly and accommodating. As long as you don't expect a super nice breakfast, this is a very nice stay for the money.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Fallbrook, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

Fabulous, friendly staff. Free breakfast with beverages all day. Easy highway access to everything San Diego has to offer. The Bistro restaurant has an incredibly extensive and delightful menu to please everyone. And their fine dining restaurant, West, is absolutely sublime. The food is some of the best I've eaten in my travels and the wine list is over the top. To make you feel at home, there are cookies and milk in the lobby at night. I was lucky enough to meet the Executive Chef and Dining Room Manager at West, and the Property's General Manager. I just can't say enough good things about the people and the property. I will go back, and back, and back.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Arcadia, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2010

I was on business in Carlsbad for three days. During my previous visit to this city, I had stayed at the Carlsbad Inn and enjoyed it. However, after reading all the enthusiastic reviews of the West Inn, I thought I would give this facility a try.

When I arrived in the evening, I was greeted warmly by the front desk person. The hotel lobby is spacious and there is an adjacent breakfast area that serves a complimentary full breakfast from 6:30 am to 9:30 am. They also provide milk and cookies at 8:00 pm--a nifty little extra.

I stayed in one of the King suites. The room was immaculately clean, as was the entire property. I have to say that the housekeepint staff at this hotel is outstanding! The suite was suitably large and well-appointed with an inviting sitting area featuring a sofa, upholstered chair, two end tables, a small coffee table with a glass top, a flat scrren TV,and DVD player. Adjacent to the sofa and coffee table was a work desk with an office chair. The sleeping area featured a very comfortable king-sized bed, two armoire-style wardrobe closets, another flat screen TV, two nightstands, an upholstered chair, and a small table topped with a glass vase filled with peacock feathers.

There was also a small bar area with a built-in mini-fridge, coffeemaker, sink, and microwave oven. The bathroom featured marble-like tiles and, like everything else here, was spotlessly clean and well maintained.

I do have a few minor quibbles. To start with, the location is a little isolated, not that close to the main village and with precious little else around it. If you enjoy taking a leisurely walk around the hotels you stay at, this might not be your best choice. Secondly, the water pressure in the shower could be a little stronger. Also, the hotel is very close to the freeway and train tracks. However, it's only fair to point out that the sound-proofing here is quite good and I didn't have any trouble getting a restful night's sleep in that ultra-comfy bed.

Overall, I would say that the West Inn richly deserves its status as one of the best hotels in Carlsbad. I would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

I stayed at the hotel with a friend and our three kids. We stayed and went to Legoland and the Aquarium. This hotel was very warm and friendly. It included a great breakfast, happy hour for adults, cookies and milk, a free shuttle, and a gigantic room. Every single staff member was friendly and said hello. There was an area that the kids could pull out puzzles and games and play. It was very family friendly, but not loud at all. We LOVED this hotel!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Torrance, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

This was a wonderful hotel. They think of everything with great attention to detail. There was even a dog at the front desk to greet my 3 kids and the nicest staff to great me. There were ballons and a gift for my son's birthday in the room. In the suite, there is a decent size fridge (yeah, not packed full of to buy food but with only 2 free waters), microwave,sink,and single brew coffee pods. Go downstairs to get cream. The pool water was perfectly warm. Milk and cookies at night too. The double king suite was a nice size. There isn't a door between the couch area and beds though. The shuttle to Legoland saved us $12 in parking and took us fairly close to the gate. Thanks West Inn and Suites for making my son's 4th birthday and awesome experience!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

This is the 2nd time this year that we stayed at West Inn and Suites just to getaway for a couple days. Hotel is so clean and friendly,prices or good,rooms are clean,modern,and new. Love the bed and all the pillows. Breakfast in the morning is great. Such a warm relaxing feeling as soon as you walk in. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!