“Fabulous Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Ventura, California
“Fabulous Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2010

I stayed at the hotel with a friend and our three kids. We stayed and went to Legoland and the Aquarium. This hotel was very warm and friendly. It included a great breakfast, happy hour for adults, cookies and milk, a free shuttle, and a gigantic room. Every single staff member was friendly and said hello. There was an area that the kids could pull out puzzles and games and play. It was very family friendly, but not loud at all. We LOVED this hotel!

714 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Torrance, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

This was a wonderful hotel. They think of everything with great attention to detail. There was even a dog at the front desk to greet my 3 kids and the nicest staff to great me. There were ballons and a gift for my son's birthday in the room. In the suite, there is a decent size fridge (yeah, not packed full of to buy food but with only 2 free waters), microwave,sink,and single brew coffee pods. Go downstairs to get cream. The pool water was perfectly warm. Milk and cookies at night too. The double king suite was a nice size. There isn't a door between the couch area and beds though. The shuttle to Legoland saved us $12 in parking and took us fairly close to the gate. Thanks West Inn and Suites for making my son's 4th birthday and awesome experience!

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2010

This is the 2nd time this year that we stayed at West Inn and Suites just to getaway for a couple days. Hotel is so clean and friendly,prices or good,rooms are clean,modern,and new. Love the bed and all the pillows. Breakfast in the morning is great. Such a warm relaxing feeling as soon as you walk in. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

West Inn and Suites: I feel so fortunate to have found you. After all, I had not visited the Carlsbad area for over twenty years. West Inn, you were the highlight of my stay in your warm welcome, location, comfort, cookies and milk - oh my, you must have known that the Arizona cookie monster was on its way. Front desk staff was FANTASTIC, could not ask for them to friendlier, more hospitable, and more professional.

The room had every amenity possible including a single serve coffee maker, dvd player, flat screen television, wonderful soft bed, and a peaceful night sleep.

Breakfast included - check - Not just a continental breakfast - Everything from Eggs, Bacon or sausage, French toast or pancakes, juice, coffee, yoghurt, fresh fruit.

Actually, after writing such a complimentary review, I found this inn to be somewhat of a dream and maybe too good to be true...but no, I had a fabulous experience, and YES, I will be back. 10/10 A+++++Truly, West Inn and Suites sets the bar higher for the hospitality industry by which all boutique hotels should be measured.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Redlands, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

We wanted to take our young children to Legoland and after countless hours of researching places to stay, I happened upon this gem of a hotel. I booked through their website, received a confirmation via email and was able to receive a AAA discount after asking which brought the cost per nite down about $40 - to me that seemed significant. The pictures don't do this place justice. The staff are wonderfully sincere and friendly. The grounds and the rooms are clean, comfortable, unpretentious and beautiful. We stayed in their largest - you are welcomed into a small, comfy, efficient sitting area with a desk, armoire with a large flat screen TV, and a little wet bar and fridge (with free cold water - which was nice on such a hot day in July). There is a clean, roomy bathroom adjacent to the spacious hallway with a full length mirror across from a bench. The 2 beds were inviting and provided a pleasant rest for us all. There was another TV in front of the beds - and both TVs had DVD players and capability of hooking up a gaming system. We have young kids and brought a couple of movies they love to watch. The room overlooked the pool and jacuzzi which my daughter and I enjoyed only once in our weekend stay - the rest of the time we were at Legoland. There was never more than 10 people whenever we were there or looking down at the pool. Other vacationers at the hotel were pleasant. This place had a luxurious feel without seeming uppety. We particularly were surprised and impressed with the shuttle service they offered for free. (We tipped our driver(s) after we checked out). We needed 3 car seats - 2 boosters and 1 front facing seat every time we needed a ride. With young children - 7, 3 1/2, and 2 - we knew we would need to return to the hotel for naptime, so this was a time and cost saver. Kyle was the driver for us most of the time and just super. On our check out day, our kids were looking for him and while we were enjoying the breakfast buffet (which was awesome) we found him and he stopped to say "hi." The room just outside of where they serve breakfast was also unique with nice picnic type tables for families to bring their own bought or made meals to eat at and a sitting area with fireplace and TV with books and little toys. I took each one of my kids individually one nite to read and do a puzzle or game while we had milk and cookies. There was another family there doing the same thing and we acknowledged how that was something you just don't see hotels doing these days.
Friendly service, delicious breakfast buffet, cookies and milk every nite (one of our kids asked if they had any left after we got back late and they brought us a tray of milk and cookies for us all...that was sweet), plush robes in the room, free parking, quiet and comfortable room, free internet...quite the bargain if you ask me. There were plenty of places to go eat at that had we been sans kids we could have walked to, but driving was easier. On one of the days, we were leaving Legoland and needed to eat lunch and get the kids down for a nap. The shuttle driver picked us up and dropped us off at the hotel...after I joked that I almost asked her to drive through somewhere and I would by her lunch, too, she said she would have totally taken me up on that offer. By the way, the shuttle service is fast and efficient. You arrange the time with the front desk, they drop you off where ever you need - shopping, beach (they will provide towels, chairs and toys for kids), picnic, Legoland (which the drop off and pick up was really close - just a few minute walk to the ticket window) - and then you call them when you are ready to be picked up and they are there usually in about 15 minutes. This place really knows how to treat their customers. I felt like we were pampered. We will definitely go back and I have referred a lot of friends and family to this place. This is a one and only kind of place - 2 restaurants, a gas station and convenience store are all located on the property grounds. I do wish there were more West Inn and Suites because I think it would be the only place I would stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2010

We originally reserved rooms at the West Inn for three nights but decided to leave town early. The staff was extremely nice on the phone and added our extra night with no problem!

We arrived at 6:00pm on Friday night, our room was ready and extremely nice! We were really excited to enjoy the MILK & COOKIES every evening from 8 to 9 pm! Enjoyed by kids and parents alike!

It was rally nice to have breakfast in the morning. Not just muffins and donuts but breakfast with eggs, bacon/sausage, pancakes/french toast/homestyle potatoes, cereal, bagels, muffins, fresh fruit, yogurt, juice, hot cocoa, milk and coffee. The "breakfast" ladies were great! Thanks Ms. Mayra for the bacon! There are two restaurants on the property, West Steakhouse and West Bistro.

The shuttle was awesome! The West provides a free shuttle to anywhere in Carlsbad. Our driver was funny and interesting on each trip. He engaged our kids and remembered them from the trip the night before too.

The rooms were large and very clean. We had the single king and our friends had the two king suite. The beds were firm and soft at the same time. The towels were soft and absorbent! Two flat screen TVs.

The pool has free Li'l Swimmers for the little ones. Games and puzzles in the Library, business center, workout facility and free wi-fi throughout the property. Don't forget underground parking too!

If you every stay in Carlsbad to enjoy Legoland, the San Diego Zoo or other close attractions, do stay at the West Inn & Suites, you won't regret it!

south orange county, ca
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

So you know what POV this review is coming from, I will preface by saying that when we plan week-long family vacations, we save up for quite awhile in order to stay at 5 star resorts. We live in S. Orange County and occasionally like to take weekend getaways with the kids. However, we dont want to pay the $300+/night rates for local resort getaways. Also, I do not see the point of paying $150 to spend the night in mediocre hotels for just a night or two. I'd rather get up at the crack of dawn, drive to our destination and return to our comfortable home.

With that said, my family and I will definitely return to the West Inn and Suites!!! Carlsbad is only a 45 min drive for us, so we decided to book the double king room for the Labor Day weekend (2 nights) based on the tripadvisor reviews. We wanted to take our 2 sons (ages 8 and 3) to Legoland w/ our passes and stay in Carlsbad. It was perfect and this hotel will now be our go-to getaway when we visit Legoland again.

PROS of the West Inn:

1. Friendly and "polished" front desk service. Corey and Ryan were very attentive and professional. Just so you know what I mean by "polished"... I requested wine glasses one night and Corey asked " would that be for red or white wine?" I was so impressed! The Ritz or Four Seasons would normally provide the generic goblets unless you specified which type. Awesome staff!

2. Beautiful hotel decor. Think Tommy Bahama style. Espresso wood floors. Spa scent. Very warm and inviting lobby. Casual but classy feel. Please no boisterous personalities!

3. Well decorated rooms with comfy king beds. Aveda products (replenished daily) and soft/ plush towels. Mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker--very important for families!

4. Heated pool and jacuzzi. Yes, it is truly heated! My boys loved it cuz it was overcast most of the weekend. The pool area was stocked with towels and lemon water (nice touch). The setting was spa-like with nice patio furniture and high stone walls pretty landscaping

5. Complimentary full breakfast (buffet style): The food was just ok, but at least we didn't have to pack up the kids and drive. Gets crowded so go early. My husband and I went for the healthier options--yogurt, granola, fruit and wheat toast. The dining area has a "living room" area where the kids can get comfy on a big sofa and watch their morning cartoons while the grown ups sit at tables nearby. Nice touch!

7. Bistro West and the Bistro (fine dining). Both restaurants owned by hotel and on the same premises. Location was major plus for us cuz we didn't need to drive for our meals. We went to Bistro West both nights (they offer a kids menu). Marianna provided exceptional service. Excellent food! FYI, the menu and ambiance is a notch (or two) above your typical family restaurants like, Friday's or Chilis.

8. Great business center. Free Wi Fi. My husband was able to stay connected.

9. Shuttle service to Legoland or beach area. Make reservations early because they do get booked on weekends

*Addressing the "cons" of some reviewers:

1. When making our reservation I was not aware that trains runs nearby. They did not bother us because they do not in the middle of the night. Don't worry you can get a good night's rest.

2. Some say they heard freeway noise BUT we did not. We found the location to be convenient.

*In the end, the pros overwhelmingly outweigh the cons mentioned by some reviewers. And you will notice that those reviewers are in the minority.

We were soooo pleased with our stay at The West inn and Suites. For us, it felt like a mini all-inclusive because of restaurant locations, excellent pool area and shuttle service. Other chain hotels should use them as a model for providing excellent service and amenities at reasonable rates!!! Thank you West Inn!!!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!