So you know what POV this review is coming from, I will preface by saying that when we plan week-long family vacations, we save up for quite awhile in order to stay at 5 star resorts. We live in S. Orange County and occasionally like to take weekend getaways with the kids. However, we dont want to pay the $300+/night rates for local resort getaways. Also, I do not see the point of paying $150 to spend the night in mediocre hotels for just a night or two. I'd rather get up at the crack of dawn, drive to our destination and return to our comfortable home.
With that said, my family and I will definitely return to the West Inn and Suites!!! Carlsbad is only a 45 min drive for us, so we decided to book the double king room for the Labor Day weekend (2 nights) based on the tripadvisor reviews. We wanted to take our 2 sons (ages 8 and 3) to Legoland w/ our passes and stay in Carlsbad. It was perfect and this hotel will now be our go-to getaway when we visit Legoland again.
PROS of the West Inn:
1. Friendly and "polished" front desk service. Corey and Ryan were very attentive and professional. Just so you know what I mean by "polished"... I requested wine glasses one night and Corey asked " would that be for red or white wine?" I was so impressed! The Ritz or Four Seasons would normally provide the generic goblets unless you specified which type. Awesome staff!
2. Beautiful hotel decor. Think Tommy Bahama style. Espresso wood floors. Spa scent. Very warm and inviting lobby. Casual but classy feel. Please no boisterous personalities!
3. Well decorated rooms with comfy king beds. Aveda products (replenished daily) and soft/ plush towels. Mini fridge, microwave, and coffee maker--very important for families!
4. Heated pool and jacuzzi. Yes, it is truly heated! My boys loved it cuz it was overcast most of the weekend. The pool area was stocked with towels and lemon water (nice touch). The setting was spa-like with nice patio furniture and high stone walls pretty landscaping
5. Complimentary full breakfast (buffet style): The food was just ok, but at least we didn't have to pack up the kids and drive. Gets crowded so go early. My husband and I went for the healthier options--yogurt, granola, fruit and wheat toast. The dining area has a "living room" area where the kids can get comfy on a big sofa and watch their morning cartoons while the grown ups sit at tables nearby. Nice touch!
7. Bistro West and the Bistro (fine dining). Both restaurants owned by hotel and on the same premises. Location was major plus for us cuz we didn't need to drive for our meals. We went to Bistro West both nights (they offer a kids menu). Marianna provided exceptional service. Excellent food! FYI, the menu and ambiance is a notch (or two) above your typical family restaurants like, Friday's or Chilis.
8. Great business center. Free Wi Fi. My husband was able to stay connected.
9. Shuttle service to Legoland or beach area. Make reservations early because they do get booked on weekends
*Addressing the "cons" of some reviewers:
1. When making our reservation I was not aware that trains runs nearby. They did not bother us because they do not in the middle of the night. Don't worry you can get a good night's rest.
2. Some say they heard freeway noise BUT we did not. We found the location to be convenient.
*In the end, the pros overwhelmingly outweigh the cons mentioned by some reviewers. And you will notice that those reviewers are in the minority.
We were soooo pleased with our stay at The West inn and Suites. For us, it felt like a mini all-inclusive because of restaurant locations, excellent pool area and shuttle service. Other chain hotels should use them as a model for providing excellent service and amenities at reasonable rates!!! Thank you West Inn!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Next to the pristine beaches of Carlsbad, minutes from attractions such as LEGOLAND, the Museum of Making Music, Lagoons and Outlet Shopping, our boutique style hotel offers 86 rooms including 36 suites. All rooms include one or two king sized beds, free wireless HSIA, 37" flatscreen tv's, refrigerator stocked with two complimentary welcome waters upon arrival, microwave, hairdryer, iron / ironing board, and complimentary full breakfast. For relaxation enjoy our water wall around a sparkling pool/whirlpool. Adults take part in our Seasonal Pour while our smaller guests enjoy cookies and milk at bedtime. Let our shuttle service (within 5 miles of the hotel)take your mind off gathering directions while our Concierge team plan your next move. The property features two dining on-site dining options Bistro West (Contemporary Farm to Table faire) and West Steak and Seafood (Fine Dining). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, TravelClick and TripOnline SA so you can book your West Inn & Suites Carlsbad reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- West Inn & Suites Carlsbad Hotel Carlsbad
- West Inn And Suites Carlsbad
- West Hotel Carlsbad
- Carlsbad West Hotel