“Excellent Family Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Carlsbad
Darien, CT
“Excellent Family Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

Staying in a very comfortable and reasonable double king suite. Beds very comfortable, towels soft and plush, and linens of very high quality. Prompt FREE shuttle service to Legoland, so you can save on parking. Breakfast was good with many buffet choices. Complimentary wine and beer between 5-6 was a very nice touch, as were the cookies and milk at night.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Paradise, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

I found this hotel by reading tripadvisor ratings and I have to say it deserves the number one spot. The hotel and our room was very attractive, the front desk staff very helpful, it is a very convenient location ( near legoland, flower fields and not too far from the San Diego wild animal park), and the breakfast is good. Two things I really appreciate:
1. Unlike a LOT of hotels that offer breakfast, this hotel has a lot of seating for families. I hate going to the breakfast area, getting your plate filled and then searching for a table to open up,
2. The hotel is elegant, but is very geared towards family and traveling with small children. Who says that once you have kids you have to stay in yucky places? Very pretty hotel and elegant surroundings. I especially liked all the orchid arrangements.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
West Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2010

We had the pleasure of travelling to California for a 2-week Spring Break oliday with extended family. For 5 nights we stayed at the West and it was absolutely FABULOUS.It is a five-star experience with luxurious, thoughful detail and no pretentiousness. Our room had 2 king beds which were very much like the Westin's famous Heavenly Beds - -they were incredibly comforable with luxurious linens. The rooms are spacious and beautifully appointed with a generous storage armoire, large flat-panel TV and a small sitting area. The rooms are all equipped with a microwave and small refrigerator. The batrooms are large and are stocked with Aveda bath products - -a real treat. We were travelling with extended family so the hotel kindly accommodated our request for adjoining rooms. Our room had a lovely soaker tub and the other room had a huge walk-in rain shower, which the children particularly loved. Some other trip advisor reviews have noted that the location of the hotel is a bit peculiar. We found the location to be very handy - -it is close to the beach, the wonderful outlet mall, Legoland etc. We had no complaints about the loaction at all. This really is a hotel that goes out of its way to make your stay comforatble and special. The service is impeccable. The hot breakfast was excellent quality - everything you would want and more. We appreciated that the hotel provided trays so that you could bring breakfast into your room to enjoy. From Monday to Thursday we enjoyed tha "happy hour" - -complimentary wine and beer (we tried some fabulous local microbrews this way) and we all enjoiyed the frrsh-baked cookies and ice-cold milk served nightly between 8 and 9 pm. The hotel has a great complimentary DVD selection - -all the latest movies for viewing in your room, so we would often have an afger-dinner swim, get the kids ready for bed, pick up some cookies and milk and snuggle in to watch a family movie - -- lovely ! Some nights we would choose a board game from the games room to play (lots to choose from) The pool is very nice - -has a great deck area with comfy loungers. Again, no detail is missed - baskets of the latest magazines to borrow, urns of ice-cold lemon water, even baskets of complimentary swimming diapers if you have little ones who need them (how thoughtful is THAT ! ?!) Heading off to one of the neaby beaches, the hotel asked us if we needed lounge chairs, boogie boards etc.....WOW ! They had a whole cupboard full of great beachsupplies. We were SO impressed (we had a great time !). Although we weren't travelling with pets, it is evident that the hotel is very pet-friendly, even having a doggie "brag book" at the front counter, with photos of alll the dogs that have stayed ....the kids loved the 2 Golden retrievers owned by the General Manager, who we had the pleasure of meeting at the hotel one day. A truly lovely person. Well....I could go on and on, but Im, sure that you've got an overall impression......we LOVED this unique boutique hotel and can't wait to return. I wish ther was a West in every city --they've figured out the secret to succees:

California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

My wife and I stayed at the West. The rooms are spectacular. The staff is literally the best hotel staff I have encountered. I have stayed in 5 star hotels before and have never felt as cared for as I was at the West. They serve warm cookies and milk at night before you go to bed as well as a complimentary breakfast in the morning. Great food! The bistro next door has such a unique menu for such affordable prices. Very flavorfull! You are only a five minute walk from beautiful beaches. The pool area is great for kids and adults. Will definitely stay at the West next time we are in town.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
il
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2010

Just perfect! Great location. Employees were all helpful and friendly. Quick service...toilet had clogged, and before my husband returned from reporting it to the front desk, maintenance had arrived to fix it. There is also access to a computer and printer, too. Rooms were always cleaned early. Has everything you would need in the room for kids and adults...fridge, microwave, plasma tv w/dvd, coffee maker, hair dryer...the kids called it their apartment and always enjoyed heading back to the room. Breakfast was always good and never the same. And the cookies and milk at 8pm was that extra touch to end each great day we spent in Carlsbad! Thanks for the memories! On a side note, we were not charged what we were quoted when we originally booked the reservation, but the clerk adjusted once I showed her my confirmation info.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

I recently spent several days at West Inn and Suites in Carlsbad, CA. I have occasion to visit Carlsbad on business several times a year, and I hands down wouldn't think of staying anywhere else. It is more than just the fact that the service is excellent, the beds and bedding fantastic, and the rooms and amenities wonderful. All of that is true. I guess I would have to say that somehow the West has been able to create an ambiance and spirit that engulf you from the moment you walk in. I find that I am greeted like a welcome friend and guest in someone's home. There is a sense of true graciousness and hospitality that is hard to find. This, in my mind, has to flow from the leadership of the company. The West's vision for a gracious and superb experience has caught on at everly level.

I will be returning to Carlsbad several times this year and I have already made sure that my next trip will bring me back to my "home away from home" in Carlsbad.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled on business
Las Vegas, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2010

We’ve been visiting Carlsbad for the last 10 years and have stayed at many of the hotels in the area and I can honestly say you’ll have to look pretty hard to find a better place for the money then the West Inn! This place is awesome, very family friendly and located near the area attractions (Legoland, Flower Fields, Beach, etc.) they provide a shuttle to many of the attractions. Every morning there is a “Hot” breakfast and at night cookies and milk! The rooms are spacious and clean, the beds are very comfortable. The staff is friendly and always helpful.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!