“Don't let location fool you - this is a good hotel for area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Endless Summer
Ranked #2 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
hellatrip
“Don't let location fool you - this is a good hotel for area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

If you want a hotel with a big pool and pool bar, overlooking the ocean, then this is not the hotel for you. However, I don't think one of those exits in Carlsbad. That means if you want the ocean and restaurants and maybe bar/pub for a beer, you'll need to drive 5-10 minutes.

West Inn is between the two best beaches in Carlsbad - South state park and Tamarack. Also while there is shopping and restaurants in downtown Carlsbad (north of the hotel), some of the better restaurants and shopping is south of downtown and south of the hotel. I understand that it's very central for business travelers as well - we were there mid-week and definately more business travelers than vacationers.

Pros:
*while it didn't seem central at first it proved to be very central
*clean, modern
*workout room
*breakfast included, with a nice breakfast room (flat screens to get caught up on what happened while you were at the beach)
*parking included and never a problem finding a spot
*Bonus Tip: There's a guest laundry room on the 2nd floor. We were doing a beach trip starting in Santa barbara and working our way to San Diego and then back. SoCal was having a heat wave, and we needed to do some laundry badly so this was perfect!

Cons:
*a room on the I-5 side might be a little noisy (we don't know as we stayed on the other side)
*workout room was tiny - but at least there was one, and it was clean.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

742 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
San Diego
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

We stayed here for our Labor Day staycation because of it's rating on Trip Advisor. I am happy to report that this was a A+ review for several reasons:
1-great room (double king deluxe) for a GREAT price
2-FREE parking
3-FREE breakfast buffett (simple yet fresh and always stocked)
4-FREE milk & cookies at night
5-location, location, location (near beach, shopping, dining, attractions)
6-SERVICE...friendly staff, ready to serve and help

the list goes on and on. If you can, stay here, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Bernie Buettner
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2009

This was our second stay at the West Inn - the first occurring in March '09 and our return visit offered no surprises and confirmed the reason for our return. The hotel is located about 25 minutes from the airport via car, parking is free and plentiful. The hotel gas station has a mini grocery store for last minute items that can be stored in the oversized room "mini" fridge. The hotel location is between train tracks (with Amtrak passing regularly) and a freeway, but other than the occasional faint bell call of the train as it passes, the rooms are super quiet. This is likely helped by the two double paned windows.

The rooms are large enough for a family of four including two teenagers. Unlike most hotels, the fold out bed was comfortable and located in an area that could be separated and privatized off from the two main king beds by fully opening the large bathroom door. The free wireless WiFi and the two large TV's kept the kids happy during the adult down time.

I consider myself a pillow and bed "diva" and can say that the bedding, pillows and mattresses at the West Inn rival any 5 star hotel I've stayed in - and more importantly - my own bed at home. There are four pillows on each King bed and two are foam chip and two are a feather mix - not a true down pillow, but comfortable enough. I prefer either true down or the newer fibre gel pillows, but those supplied were better than what most hotels offer.

We stayed on the 3rd floor this visit as we had a 2nd floor room in March and did hear the patter of little feet above us which was certainly tolerable, but avoidable with the top floor choice.

Maid service was efficient and compliant. On arrival there was ONE of each bath product in our room (for four people??) so I asked for "lots" of shampoo and conditioner the next morning via note, having brought only carryon luggage sized products, and was given LOTS of both Aveda products daily (although I did have to leave a note daily for this).

Breakfast is included and after 3 days or so, the selection and quality does suffer. We stayed a week. There is the daily scrambled eggs alternating with toast yourself waffles or french toast and either sausage or bacon. The fresh fruit is always strawberries which is great (and added after my friend complained that there was no fresh fruit offering when we stayed in March - it appeared the next morning and continues to this day!) but perhaps could be alternated with other local fresh offerings. We were quite shocked in March that with all the fresh oranges being offered in the local farmers markets, that there was not a hint of orange in the buffet offerings. The bread/muffin offerings are pedestrian and underwhelming. Coffee was good but there were two mornings where it ran out and took 10 or so minutes to be replaced (as can happen with the strawberries - suggestive that someone is in the back actually coring and slicing them when the last bowl ran out). The nightly cookies and milk (and tea/coffee) are a nice touch and despite their processed taste, my teens never tired of them.

Guests appear to be a mixture of business types and families with little Legoland-bound kids which make the breakfast area a bit noisy, but lively.

The front desk service is always courteous, friendly and obliging. The pool is clean and such a great temperature that you can walk straight in. My kids could have spent all day there. There is lots of lounge chairs and plentiful towels along with a basket of free swim diapers. Ambient music and the waterfall in the pool area help with masking any traffic noise in the background.

This visit we noticed quite a number of guests with dogs - one of whom even brought their dog to the pool. Thankfully the pet did not enter the pool as I would have had an issue with that. There was no hint of dog in our room.

We ate two meals in the West Bistro next door and the first was excellent (burgers and pasta), but when I ordered the special the second visit, I actually had to send it back it was so awful. The matter was handled properly: I was offered to make another selection, but at this stage was very disappointed and a bit full after eating the basket of buns so declined. The manager then appeared, apologized and offered a free desert of creme brule which was accepted. Stick to the basics in this restaurant.

Suggestions: free daily newspaper, more breakfast fruit options and better baked goods.

In all I would highly recommend this hotel to families or anyone needing a hotel as it offers great amenities for the price. I have every intention of staying again on my next visit (and perhaps will enjoy some of my suggestions?).

Montrose, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I have traveled the world and stayed in many different types of hotels, from economy to luxury. I always appreciate the little things and the small details. The West Inn & Suites has obviously taken a lot of thought about what to include in their establishment. Things like extra hangers, two suitcase stands, two robes, the larger sized in-room safe, soft bath towels, room to put your wash items in the shower, the shower head placed higher (for us taller folks!), a hair dryer, magnified vanity mirror, decent sized mini-fridge, an iron and board, were much appreciated. The rooms are spotless and, like other reviewers, we did not hear the train or the freeway from our third floor suite. The beds and linens are fantastic. My husband usually complains about hotel beds because they tend to be on the softer side. These beds are firm and comfortable. The pool area was clean and the magazines were a nice touch. Nice idea to have the waterfall to block any freeway noise. Strong jets in the jacuzzi, which was a really good temperature. Breakfast was good -- a decent variety although I would have liked some more fresh fruit options. We ate at the Bistro West our second night and it was very good. The only downside was the noise level in the main dining area. This is a great hotel to use as a base for seeing the sights in the Carlsbad and San Diego area. Great staff -- thank you to everyone at the front desk who were so polite and cheery. We'll be back!

Covina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

After travelling to the Grand Canyon, Phoenix, and to San Diego from Los Angeles, we were ready for a break. As soon as we walked in we were greeted with smiles from everyone in the hotel. Are every need was taken care of, the room and our baggage were ready within seconds( 5 people worth). This place was rehab from a week of travel.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

... they have to do better than milk and cookies. Although, we did partake and find them relaxing and a nice touch. If my cookie palette serves me well, they were Otis Spunkenmeyer. But I digress. Here's why they don't get 4 or 5 stars:

West Inn's check-in is at 3pm. We had a Saturday wedding to attend at 4pm 30 minutes away. After 4 hours in the car, we needed more than 30 minutes to get ready. So, I called the Tuesday before to request a 2pm check-in. "We can't make any promises, but it shouldn't be a problem. Call back Saturday a.m. to see." OK, that's a little late to know, so I resigned to calling later in the week on Friday. In the meantime, I received a nice email looking forward to my visit and telling me to call if there is anything they can do to make the stay more enjoyable. OK, so I called Friday evening to make the same request. Same response with the addition of "I'll make sure to note that you requested this, but again, we can't guarantee." So apparently the email is just rhetoric.

I worked in a 4 star hotel while in college. Someone please tell me why it is so difficult to ask housekeeping to prepare our room a little earlier. (Their check-out time is 11am, so 3 hours would seem like a good cushion, right?) Especially considering that 90% of the guests are off on their all-day excursions to SeaWorld and Legoland.

Anyway, we got on the road, wrestled traffic, and arrived tired and fragrant at 2:40pm. "Your room is not ready, sir." Unbelievable.
"OK" I ask "when will it be ready?"
"Not for another hour."
"Unacceptable" I say.
"Well we have the same size room upstairs, but it is a walk-in shower." (Instead of the tub we had expected for our toddler).
Without much of a choice, we took it and rushed upstairs just as housekeeping was exiting. At $74.99 a night, I'd expect that. At $200 a night, I expect more than a "sorry about that." So without any follow up from a manager, we had this overwhelming sensation that we need to just swallow their pill, be grateful that they even let us check in 15 minutes early, and be sure to get the heck out by 11am upon check out.

Other notes:
Room layout (King Suite) was very unique and gave our toddler quiet so we could lounge in the living room area.
Rooms were clean and spacious.
We could hear our neighbors upstairs and little feet prancing down the hall at all hours.
Nice warm pool.
HORRIBLE pillows (down and/or cotton), uncomfortable beds.
Breakfast buffet was a nice touch, but the selection was weak.
However, great restaurant next door - 30 steps away. One of the best burgers and salads I've had in a long time. The Mrs. was very pleased, as well. They come across a bit upscale, but don't let that fool you. They're very family-friendly. Didn't try the one across the parking lot.
Housekeeping staff was always pleasant when I saw them.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

Great hotel!! Location is perfect, close to Legoland, Carlsbad Premium Outlets, Carlsbad Village and Beach etc., and a short drive from Seaworld, La Jolla, San Diego and Tijuana. Occasionally hear a train, but I5 is inaudible except in swimming pool area. Lots of nice touches - the milk and cookies at night were a great hit with my wife and son, good coffee in room, Aveda products. Loads of free parking, gas station and small shop right next door. However, the West Bistro was the crowning touch - you can either eatin the bar or take a table in the restaurant or, as we did, have a cocktail in the bar, run over to the hotel for a shower, and bach to the Bistro for Dinner. Best Burgers Ever!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!