This was our second stay at the West Inn - the first occurring in March '09 and our return visit offered no surprises and confirmed the reason for our return. The hotel is located about 25 minutes from the airport via car, parking is free and plentiful. The hotel gas station has a mini grocery store for last minute items that can be stored in the oversized room "mini" fridge. The hotel location is between train tracks (with Amtrak passing regularly) and a freeway, but other than the occasional faint bell call of the train as it passes, the rooms are super quiet. This is likely helped by the two double paned windows.
The rooms are large enough for a family of four including two teenagers. Unlike most hotels, the fold out bed was comfortable and located in an area that could be separated and privatized off from the two main king beds by fully opening the large bathroom door. The free wireless WiFi and the two large TV's kept the kids happy during the adult down time.
I consider myself a pillow and bed "diva" and can say that the bedding, pillows and mattresses at the West Inn rival any 5 star hotel I've stayed in - and more importantly - my own bed at home. There are four pillows on each King bed and two are foam chip and two are a feather mix - not a true down pillow, but comfortable enough. I prefer either true down or the newer fibre gel pillows, but those supplied were better than what most hotels offer.
We stayed on the 3rd floor this visit as we had a 2nd floor room in March and did hear the patter of little feet above us which was certainly tolerable, but avoidable with the top floor choice.
Maid service was efficient and compliant. On arrival there was ONE of each bath product in our room (for four people??) so I asked for "lots" of shampoo and conditioner the next morning via note, having brought only carryon luggage sized products, and was given LOTS of both Aveda products daily (although I did have to leave a note daily for this).
Breakfast is included and after 3 days or so, the selection and quality does suffer. We stayed a week. There is the daily scrambled eggs alternating with toast yourself waffles or french toast and either sausage or bacon. The fresh fruit is always strawberries which is great (and added after my friend complained that there was no fresh fruit offering when we stayed in March - it appeared the next morning and continues to this day!) but perhaps could be alternated with other local fresh offerings. We were quite shocked in March that with all the fresh oranges being offered in the local farmers markets, that there was not a hint of orange in the buffet offerings. The bread/muffin offerings are pedestrian and underwhelming. Coffee was good but there were two mornings where it ran out and took 10 or so minutes to be replaced (as can happen with the strawberries - suggestive that someone is in the back actually coring and slicing them when the last bowl ran out). The nightly cookies and milk (and tea/coffee) are a nice touch and despite their processed taste, my teens never tired of them.
Guests appear to be a mixture of business types and families with little Legoland-bound kids which make the breakfast area a bit noisy, but lively.
The front desk service is always courteous, friendly and obliging. The pool is clean and such a great temperature that you can walk straight in. My kids could have spent all day there. There is lots of lounge chairs and plentiful towels along with a basket of free swim diapers. Ambient music and the waterfall in the pool area help with masking any traffic noise in the background.
This visit we noticed quite a number of guests with dogs - one of whom even brought their dog to the pool. Thankfully the pet did not enter the pool as I would have had an issue with that. There was no hint of dog in our room.
We ate two meals in the West Bistro next door and the first was excellent (burgers and pasta), but when I ordered the special the second visit, I actually had to send it back it was so awful. The matter was handled properly: I was offered to make another selection, but at this stage was very disappointed and a bit full after eating the basket of buns so declined. The manager then appeared, apologized and offered a free desert of creme brule which was accepted. Stick to the basics in this restaurant.
Suggestions: free daily newspaper, more breakfast fruit options and better baked goods.
In all I would highly recommend this hotel to families or anyone needing a hotel as it offers great amenities for the price. I have every intention of staying again on my next visit (and perhaps will enjoy some of my suggestions?).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Next to the pristine beaches of Carlsbad, minutes from attractions such as LEGOLAND, the Museum of Making Music, Lagoons and Outlet Shopping, our boutique style hotel offers 86 rooms including 36 suites. All rooms include one or two king sized beds, free wireless HSIA, 37" flatscreen tv's, refrigerator stocked with two complimentary welcome waters upon arrival, microwave, hairdryer, iron / ironing board, and complimentary full breakfast. For relaxation enjoy our water wall around a sparkling pool/whirlpool. Adults take part in our Seasonal Pour while our smaller guests enjoy cookies and milk at bedtime. Let our shuttle service (within 5 miles of the hotel)take your mind off gathering directions while our Concierge team plan your next move. The property features two dining on-site dining options Bistro West (Contemporary Farm to Table faire) and West Steak and Seafood (Fine Dining). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, Priceline, TripOnline SA and TravelClick so you can book your West Inn & Suites Carlsbad reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- West Inn & Suites Carlsbad Hotel Carlsbad
- West Inn And Suites Carlsbad
- West Hotel Carlsbad
- Carlsbad West Hotel