“Little Details Count” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Montrose, CA
“Little Details Count”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2009

I have traveled the world and stayed in many different types of hotels, from economy to luxury. I always appreciate the little things and the small details. The West Inn & Suites has obviously taken a lot of thought about what to include in their establishment. Things like extra hangers, two suitcase stands, two robes, the larger sized in-room safe, soft bath towels, room to put your wash items in the shower, the shower head placed higher (for us taller folks!), a hair dryer, magnified vanity mirror, decent sized mini-fridge, an iron and board, were much appreciated. The rooms are spotless and, like other reviewers, we did not hear the train or the freeway from our third floor suite. The beds and linens are fantastic. My husband usually complains about hotel beds because they tend to be on the softer side. These beds are firm and comfortable. The pool area was clean and the magazines were a nice touch. Nice idea to have the waterfall to block any freeway noise. Strong jets in the jacuzzi, which was a really good temperature. Breakfast was good -- a decent variety although I would have liked some more fresh fruit options. We ate at the Bistro West our second night and it was very good. The only downside was the noise level in the main dining area. This is a great hotel to use as a base for seeing the sights in the Carlsbad and San Diego area. Great staff -- thank you to everyone at the front desk who were so polite and cheery. We'll be back!

715 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
Covina, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

After travelling to the Grand Canyon, Phoenix, and to San Diego from Los Angeles, we were ready for a break. As soon as we walked in we were greeted with smiles from everyone in the hotel. Are every need was taken care of, the room and our baggage were ready within seconds( 5 people worth). This place was rehab from a week of travel.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

... they have to do better than milk and cookies. Although, we did partake and find them relaxing and a nice touch. If my cookie palette serves me well, they were Otis Spunkenmeyer. But I digress. Here's why they don't get 4 or 5 stars:

West Inn's check-in is at 3pm. We had a Saturday wedding to attend at 4pm 30 minutes away. After 4 hours in the car, we needed more than 30 minutes to get ready. So, I called the Tuesday before to request a 2pm check-in. "We can't make any promises, but it shouldn't be a problem. Call back Saturday a.m. to see." OK, that's a little late to know, so I resigned to calling later in the week on Friday. In the meantime, I received a nice email looking forward to my visit and telling me to call if there is anything they can do to make the stay more enjoyable. OK, so I called Friday evening to make the same request. Same response with the addition of "I'll make sure to note that you requested this, but again, we can't guarantee." So apparently the email is just rhetoric.

I worked in a 4 star hotel while in college. Someone please tell me why it is so difficult to ask housekeeping to prepare our room a little earlier. (Their check-out time is 11am, so 3 hours would seem like a good cushion, right?) Especially considering that 90% of the guests are off on their all-day excursions to SeaWorld and Legoland.

Anyway, we got on the road, wrestled traffic, and arrived tired and fragrant at 2:40pm. "Your room is not ready, sir." Unbelievable.
"OK" I ask "when will it be ready?"
"Not for another hour."
"Unacceptable" I say.
"Well we have the same size room upstairs, but it is a walk-in shower." (Instead of the tub we had expected for our toddler).
Without much of a choice, we took it and rushed upstairs just as housekeeping was exiting. At $74.99 a night, I'd expect that. At $200 a night, I expect more than a "sorry about that." So without any follow up from a manager, we had this overwhelming sensation that we need to just swallow their pill, be grateful that they even let us check in 15 minutes early, and be sure to get the heck out by 11am upon check out.

Other notes:
Room layout (King Suite) was very unique and gave our toddler quiet so we could lounge in the living room area.
Rooms were clean and spacious.
We could hear our neighbors upstairs and little feet prancing down the hall at all hours.
Nice warm pool.
HORRIBLE pillows (down and/or cotton), uncomfortable beds.
Breakfast buffet was a nice touch, but the selection was weak.
However, great restaurant next door - 30 steps away. One of the best burgers and salads I've had in a long time. The Mrs. was very pleased, as well. They come across a bit upscale, but don't let that fool you. They're very family-friendly. Didn't try the one across the parking lot.
Housekeeping staff was always pleasant when I saw them.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

Great hotel!! Location is perfect, close to Legoland, Carlsbad Premium Outlets, Carlsbad Village and Beach etc., and a short drive from Seaworld, La Jolla, San Diego and Tijuana. Occasionally hear a train, but I5 is inaudible except in swimming pool area. Lots of nice touches - the milk and cookies at night were a great hit with my wife and son, good coffee in room, Aveda products. Loads of free parking, gas station and small shop right next door. However, the West Bistro was the crowning touch - you can either eatin the bar or take a table in the restaurant or, as we did, have a cocktail in the bar, run over to the hotel for a shower, and bach to the Bistro for Dinner. Best Burgers Ever!!!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed at West Inn while taking our 6 year old to Legoland. I booked the hotel based on the recommendations here, and can only echo all the "wows" from other travelers. Our King Suite was spacious, lovely, and clean. Be aware, though, that the "separate family room" does not close off from the adult's sleeping area. The breakfast offered lots of choices - even in seating: at small tables, large picnic tables, or outside on the patio. What impressed me most about the hotel were the little touches I haven't seen anywhere else, like a basket of magazines at the pool, or another one with swim diapers. We had dinner at the Bistro our first night, a lovely restaurant and very good food. We didn't try the steak house, as it was a bit pricey with a young child. The location next to the freeway didn't bother us in the room, but does make the pool area noisy. But that's a minor point, given all the positives. The staff told me that the Wests would like to build more hotels, and I look forward to staying in all of them!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
las vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

What a wonderful hotel! Great location close to the beach, very friendly staff and a very decent complimentary breakfast + free internet and parking. Will stay here again for sure! Some people critisized that I-5 runs next to the otel, but the double windows prevent the noise from disturbing your rest.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Henderson, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

On July 26th and 27th, we stayed at this hotel. We did a short stay to take our kids (age 7, 5) to the beach and Seaworld. The location is very good. It is a few blocks from the ocean, but about a 1-2 miles to the beaches. It was a 30 minute drive to Seaworld and 1-2 miles from Legoland (we did not go to Legoland, but would be great location for Legoland). The hotel is located near the freeway and some train tracks, but do not let either stop you from going to this hotel. We did not find either to be a problem.

The room we stayed in was a king suite which was very spacious. Two tv's and two dvd players which was great. One for the adults and one for the kids. The room was very clean and well maintained. The staff was very helpful with anything that we needed. Questions answered, offered beach towels, provided free dvd's for checkout, Free parking, Free Breakfast, pool, spa, etc. They do offer two restaurants on the grounds. We ate at the Bistro and the food and service there was outstanding as well. Also, Great kids menu.
This hotel is outstanding and we will return to this hotel when visiting the San Diego area.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!