“Best Hotel in Carlsbad” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Carlsbad
Covina, California
“Best Hotel in Carlsbad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2009

After travelling to the Grand Canyon, Phoenix, and to San Diego from Los Angeles, we were ready for a break. As soon as we walked in we were greeted with smiles from everyone in the hotel. Are every need was taken care of, the room and our baggage were ready within seconds( 5 people worth). This place was rehab from a week of travel.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2009

... they have to do better than milk and cookies. Although, we did partake and find them relaxing and a nice touch. If my cookie palette serves me well, they were Otis Spunkenmeyer. But I digress. Here's why they don't get 4 or 5 stars:

West Inn's check-in is at 3pm. We had a Saturday wedding to attend at 4pm 30 minutes away. After 4 hours in the car, we needed more than 30 minutes to get ready. So, I called the Tuesday before to request a 2pm check-in. "We can't make any promises, but it shouldn't be a problem. Call back Saturday a.m. to see." OK, that's a little late to know, so I resigned to calling later in the week on Friday. In the meantime, I received a nice email looking forward to my visit and telling me to call if there is anything they can do to make the stay more enjoyable. OK, so I called Friday evening to make the same request. Same response with the addition of "I'll make sure to note that you requested this, but again, we can't guarantee." So apparently the email is just rhetoric.

I worked in a 4 star hotel while in college. Someone please tell me why it is so difficult to ask housekeeping to prepare our room a little earlier. (Their check-out time is 11am, so 3 hours would seem like a good cushion, right?) Especially considering that 90% of the guests are off on their all-day excursions to SeaWorld and Legoland.

Anyway, we got on the road, wrestled traffic, and arrived tired and fragrant at 2:40pm. "Your room is not ready, sir." Unbelievable.
"OK" I ask "when will it be ready?"
"Not for another hour."
"Unacceptable" I say.
"Well we have the same size room upstairs, but it is a walk-in shower." (Instead of the tub we had expected for our toddler).
Without much of a choice, we took it and rushed upstairs just as housekeeping was exiting. At $74.99 a night, I'd expect that. At $200 a night, I expect more than a "sorry about that." So without any follow up from a manager, we had this overwhelming sensation that we need to just swallow their pill, be grateful that they even let us check in 15 minutes early, and be sure to get the heck out by 11am upon check out.

Other notes:
Room layout (King Suite) was very unique and gave our toddler quiet so we could lounge in the living room area.
Rooms were clean and spacious.
We could hear our neighbors upstairs and little feet prancing down the hall at all hours.
Nice warm pool.
HORRIBLE pillows (down and/or cotton), uncomfortable beds.
Breakfast buffet was a nice touch, but the selection was weak.
However, great restaurant next door - 30 steps away. One of the best burgers and salads I've had in a long time. The Mrs. was very pleased, as well. They come across a bit upscale, but don't let that fool you. They're very family-friendly. Didn't try the one across the parking lot.
Housekeeping staff was always pleasant when I saw them.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

Great hotel!! Location is perfect, close to Legoland, Carlsbad Premium Outlets, Carlsbad Village and Beach etc., and a short drive from Seaworld, La Jolla, San Diego and Tijuana. Occasionally hear a train, but I5 is inaudible except in swimming pool area. Lots of nice touches - the milk and cookies at night were a great hit with my wife and son, good coffee in room, Aveda products. Loads of free parking, gas station and small shop right next door. However, the West Bistro was the crowning touch - you can either eatin the bar or take a table in the restaurant or, as we did, have a cocktail in the bar, run over to the hotel for a shower, and bach to the Bistro for Dinner. Best Burgers Ever!!!

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed at West Inn while taking our 6 year old to Legoland. I booked the hotel based on the recommendations here, and can only echo all the "wows" from other travelers. Our King Suite was spacious, lovely, and clean. Be aware, though, that the "separate family room" does not close off from the adult's sleeping area. The breakfast offered lots of choices - even in seating: at small tables, large picnic tables, or outside on the patio. What impressed me most about the hotel were the little touches I haven't seen anywhere else, like a basket of magazines at the pool, or another one with swim diapers. We had dinner at the Bistro our first night, a lovely restaurant and very good food. We didn't try the steak house, as it was a bit pricey with a young child. The location next to the freeway didn't bother us in the room, but does make the pool area noisy. But that's a minor point, given all the positives. The staff told me that the Wests would like to build more hotels, and I look forward to staying in all of them!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
las vegas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2009

What a wonderful hotel! Great location close to the beach, very friendly staff and a very decent complimentary breakfast + free internet and parking. Will stay here again for sure! Some people critisized that I-5 runs next to the otel, but the double windows prevent the noise from disturbing your rest.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Henderson, NV
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2009

On July 26th and 27th, we stayed at this hotel. We did a short stay to take our kids (age 7, 5) to the beach and Seaworld. The location is very good. It is a few blocks from the ocean, but about a 1-2 miles to the beaches. It was a 30 minute drive to Seaworld and 1-2 miles from Legoland (we did not go to Legoland, but would be great location for Legoland). The hotel is located near the freeway and some train tracks, but do not let either stop you from going to this hotel. We did not find either to be a problem.

The room we stayed in was a king suite which was very spacious. Two tv's and two dvd players which was great. One for the adults and one for the kids. The room was very clean and well maintained. The staff was very helpful with anything that we needed. Questions answered, offered beach towels, provided free dvd's for checkout, Free parking, Free Breakfast, pool, spa, etc. They do offer two restaurants on the grounds. We ate at the Bistro and the food and service there was outstanding as well. Also, Great kids menu.
This hotel is outstanding and we will return to this hotel when visiting the San Diego area.

irisrose
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

We stayed 4 nights at the West Inn and Suites and I cannot have been happier with the place! We had double king suite and had plenty of room for the 5 of us. Which was great since we were going to be there for several days. The rooms are contemporary, attractive and clean. The little kitchenette area was fantastic to have since we were staying for several days. There was a microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and a sink all in a little alcove in the living room area. It was nice to pop popcorn or make mac & cheese for the kids instead of running out for food all of the time. We did order a pizza from the bistro right next door and it was very, very good! And not horribly expensive either. I do believe there is a small food mart next to the gas station on the site but we didn't go there.

The beds were very comfortable! Comfy down comforters and lots of pillows to choose from. The bathroom is lovely with nice, thick towels and Aveda soaps and shampoos. The bathroom isn't huge like in most hotels, but this one was larger than some and I could get all 3 of the boys in and out of the shower without bumping into walls or tripping on the toilet.

The breakfast is very good for families. Choices were bacon, eggs, sausage, french toast/waffles. Then the standard fare of cereals, yogurt, bagels, muffins etc. There was also this endless bowl of local strawberries which were delicious and my boys looked forward to them each day. You can eat in the spacious dining area or go outside by the pool. It got a little crazy in there as the morning wore on. But no terribly long waits for anything.

The pool is fantastic! My boys loved it and begged to go back to the hotel just to swim. It was heated and was very comfortable to swim in for a long time, even if the outdoor air temp was in the low 70s. And it seemed large enough to accommodate quite a few people. We never felt crowded in it. Also it's a short walk to the beach. I took the boys one day and it's literally 2 blocks away. And if you're visiting Lego Land, it's only a couple of miles away from the hotel.

The only negative, like one other reviewer said, is that there are no other West Inn and Suites anywhere else in the country. I would love to have this type of hotel available in other states as my first choice when traveling. Hopefully they will expand!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!