“Probably one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Black Friday Special
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Carlsbad
irisrose
“Probably one of the nicest hotels I've stayed in!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2009

We stayed 4 nights at the West Inn and Suites and I cannot have been happier with the place! We had double king suite and had plenty of room for the 5 of us. Which was great since we were going to be there for several days. The rooms are contemporary, attractive and clean. The little kitchenette area was fantastic to have since we were staying for several days. There was a microwave, refrigerator, coffee maker and a sink all in a little alcove in the living room area. It was nice to pop popcorn or make mac & cheese for the kids instead of running out for food all of the time. We did order a pizza from the bistro right next door and it was very, very good! And not horribly expensive either. I do believe there is a small food mart next to the gas station on the site but we didn't go there.

The beds were very comfortable! Comfy down comforters and lots of pillows to choose from. The bathroom is lovely with nice, thick towels and Aveda soaps and shampoos. The bathroom isn't huge like in most hotels, but this one was larger than some and I could get all 3 of the boys in and out of the shower without bumping into walls or tripping on the toilet.

The breakfast is very good for families. Choices were bacon, eggs, sausage, french toast/waffles. Then the standard fare of cereals, yogurt, bagels, muffins etc. There was also this endless bowl of local strawberries which were delicious and my boys looked forward to them each day. You can eat in the spacious dining area or go outside by the pool. It got a little crazy in there as the morning wore on. But no terribly long waits for anything.

The pool is fantastic! My boys loved it and begged to go back to the hotel just to swim. It was heated and was very comfortable to swim in for a long time, even if the outdoor air temp was in the low 70s. And it seemed large enough to accommodate quite a few people. We never felt crowded in it. Also it's a short walk to the beach. I took the boys one day and it's literally 2 blocks away. And if you're visiting Lego Land, it's only a couple of miles away from the hotel.

The only negative, like one other reviewer said, is that there are no other West Inn and Suites anywhere else in the country. I would love to have this type of hotel available in other states as my first choice when traveling. Hopefully they will expand!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
NorCal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

We looked at many hotels in the Carlsbad area and finally chose this one for what we perceived as a good deal (good looking hotel) for the price. We were certainly not disappointed! We booked a little late and didn't get the exact room we wanted, however, we got on a waiting list and Kristine Bane, the Asst. General Manager, followed up when a room became available and booked it for us. We stayed in a Double King Suite and I highly recommend this for families traveling with kids. We were able to relax in the main room with the 2 king beds and the kids enjoyed the waiting area, with the couch folded out into a bed. The set up was perfect and very spacious.

This hotel is right off of Cannon road, which is less than 5 minutes from Legoland - perfect for our visit! Lots of restaurants and other amenities within a 5 minute drive as well, if you need that Starbucks fix, place to eat off site or a grocery store.

Customer service is always a big deal for me and my family and this place delivered in spades!!! Each and every person we dealt with in the the hotel was super friendly and went out of their way to help. From Kristin (gen'l mgr) to Marcia and Ryan at the front desk, they were all super friendly and incredibly helpful.

The only complaint I have, if you can call it one, is the free breakfast in the mornings gets a little crowded. I guess that's to be expected when you're getting a free meal. Just make sure to avoid the 9-9:30AM breakfast rush and you should be good to go.

Clovis, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2009

My Wife and three teenagers accompanied me for two nights of Seaworld. we chose to stay here due to the reviews. The two King beds and Queen sofa bed worked great for the 5 of us. My son used the sofa, and the girls occupied one of the King beds. There was a great deal of room to move around. we didn't feel cramped at all. I called the hotel to book directly based upon their guarantee to match or beat the lowest advertised cost on the internet. They did beat it. We also had a bottle of sparkling cider awaiting our arrival. Their breakfasts were great for hotel fare. It is buffet style with scrambled eggs, bacon one day and sausage the next, likewise waffles one day and french toast the next. These items along with fresh fruit, pastries, juices, yogurts and many other items worked great for us. The pool was also a great find for the kids. It was heated nicely. The spa was great at the end of the day for me. They accommodated my wife's request for extra shampoo and conditioner quickly and gave us way more than we needed. The 25 minutes to Seaworld were fine for me as I commute 45 minutes each way to work. Its located near good restaurants and a 2 minute drive to the beach. I could have stayed a week. They offer milk and cookies in the evenings but we stayed out too late to get them. My wife and I have stayed at 4 and 5 star properties and this ranks very high with us. Not pretentious like La Costa and very family friendly. I almost forgot to say that the gym was adequately equipped for me. Treadmills, elipticals, a weight machine, flat screen tvs. Little touches like towels on the lounge chairs near the pool, lemon water in case you get thirsty made it seem upscale. A great property overall.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Costa Mesa, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2009

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed in...and I've stayed in some of the very best 5-star hotels there is including the St. Regis Monarch Bay. I will always come back here to stay. The free breakfast was amazing. Rooms spacious and very clean. Milk and cookies in the evening. There is no room service offered at this hotel - but there are many places close by to either take out or eat in. There is no view - just the 5 freeway and a power plant, but who cares the place is beautiful! The train goes thru and is loud - but as long as you expect it - it doesnt' bother you. We didn't know about it the first time and it scared us a bit, but after a while we didn't even notice it - even at night! We really enjoyed the pool facilities too. Really good value also! Free wireless internet and parking too!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

After a ton of internet research for our trip to San Diego/Legoland, I decided to book the West Inn. I must say...it was definitely one of the best hotel stays we've ever had! The staff was friendly and attentive from the moment we checked in until the moment we left. We spent the first afternoon just hanging out by the pool/hot tub and then after a ride to watch the sunset at the beach nearby, retired to our very comfortable room. The 2 king size beds were awesome...just sinking into a sea of white pillows and duvet was to die for! Their bathroom was large, modern and attractive. Their buffet breakfast was plentiful and our son enjoyed playing with the other kids while we lingered over coffee. The front desk arranged to drop us off and pick us up from Legoland which was a nice touch, as were the cookies and milk at bedtime. They have 2 restaurants and we decided to go more casual and eat at the Bistro. Boy, this was pretty nice for casual! The Bistro is huge, beautifly decorated and the food was delicious. The staff was extremely attentive and the meal was reasonably priced.
Needless to say, I turned out to be the hero on this vacation for finding the West Inn! Hopefully I can continue my streak by finding somewhere half as nice on our next trip.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Phoenix, AZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2009

This was one of the best hotel stays I've ever had. It's the combination of the unique atmosphere - B&B . . . meets value hotel . . . meets boutique hotel - and the impressive staff (one friendlier and more professional than the next). The rooms are clean, contemporary. It's like they really, really try hard to make it easy and pleasurable for guests - all kinds of little touches that impress you. It was so uncorporate - such a refreshing break from the standard chains I stay in for work travel. We love dogs, so to have staff's dogs sometimes there for a visit behind the front desk was a real treat for the kids. Very good value with b'fast, parking, shuttle, internet all included. The casual restaurant on property is really good too - better than expected. Only thing that could have improved our stay was room configuration. As a family of 4, we wish their suites (we had King suite) had a door between rooms (any light in the "parent" room shone into the kids' room, not as much privacy as we'd have liked). Definitely take the shuttle to the beach rather than walk - the nearby proximity beach is not as nice as the one a bit further. If you have a car, drive 10 minutes to Encinitas beach - it's even nicer.

Chicago
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2009

We stayed here for 4 nights starting with our three kids. It was our first time at this hotel and we loved it. We had the double King suite and the two huge beds with a pullout couch were perfect for our needs. The hotel is ultra clean and all details are immaculate. We even had two TV's with DVD players and a game option.

The breakfast was excellent and very fresh! Plenty of food choices including scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, waffles and/or french toast. You could sit in the food area, in the big lobby loibrary or out near the pool. Whatever your preference.

The entire hotel staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Although we didn't eat there, locals talk about the West Steakhouse and West Bistro and the fantastic food served there.

Our kids loved the heated pool and spa.

The hotel was quiet and really as good as you can get. Don't waste time with LaCosta aor Aviara. For the money, location, service, amenities and food... this place can't be beat.

We can't wait to get back.

Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!