“Nice hotel. Some staff could be better.” 4 of 5 stars

4970 Avenida Encinas, Carlsbad, CA 92008   |
Special Rate
Black Friday Special
Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Carlsbad
“Nice hotel. Some staff could be better.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2009

This is a nice hotel. We stayed in a king suite. It was very nice and had two TV's and two DVD's. Wireless internet was free. The breakfast was average and could have been better. The pool is heated and the grounds are well maintained. The front desk personnel were a little standoffish and not that friendly. The housekeepers and others were fine though. There are two restaurants associated with this hotel. We ate at the Bistro twice. It was quite good and I would highly recommend it. The other restaurant is supposed to be even nicer. When I arrived, the hotel had a higher rate than my reservation. They promptly fixed it when I showed them my printout. That has never happened to me before though.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2009

Pros: Rooms are nice, windows open, everything is clean and well maintained, internet works well and is free. Breakfast is OK for a free breakfast. Staff is friendly. Parking is free, which offsets the rather high price. The bed was comfortable.

Cons: Right next to train tracks, something of an industrial setting, actually. While the breakfast is OK, the french toast was hard enough that I had to cut it with a knife. Lots of kids and teenagers, which for me is a negative, for families might be a positive.

I have stayed at other hotels in the San Diego area, and I have gotten a better value for a lower price. If I had to go to Carlsbad and this was the hotel I ended up at, I wouldn't mind, but this hotel was definitely not a "must-return" hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
AgouraHills, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2009

We stayed here with our to young girls. We loved it. It boosts a super friendly staff, great pool and scrumptious breakfast.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Tracy, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2009

We have 2 families in our party who stayed at this hotel. Both have pre-school kids. We felt welcome and comfortable.
Pros:
1. Beautiful and well-maintained property, nice landscaping - close to Legoland, Carlsbad Outlet shopping, Carlsbad State beach, freeway access to go to SD and other attractions (fruit-picking if in-season, lake activities). Gas station conveniently on-site (though $$). 2 restaurants on-site (one casual, one fine dining). I saw an ATM machine inside hotel (but didn't use). Lots of parking spaces at the back (front is crowded while restaurants are open).
2. Good customer-service, staff always friendly and helpful - not stand-offish. House-keeping is also commendable.
3. We stayed in a King Suite - nice room, spacious and well-appointed with armoire and dressers, ref, coffee maker with pods, safe inside armoire. Clean and well-stocked with Aveda toiletries. Nice, thick towels and had 2 bath-robes. Room is also quiet enough - considering hotel is close to freeway and train tracks. Wasn't bothered by noise at all. Airconditioning is quiet and worked well. No complaints in room - bed, pillows, sheets were all good/comfy. I liked the 2 flat screens and 2 DVD players in our room, plus the alarm clock which plays MP3 (if u brought ur own selections).
4. Shuttle service within Carlsbad - very convenient for us. They even provide car seats and booster seats. Most of the drivers were pleasant and very helpful (at least one we met also worked at the front desk) .
5. Breakfast is average, we weren't impressed at all (more on the instant-kind). It was sufficient and convenient, though. They have cold cereal, instant oatmeal you prepare yourself, assorted breads/muffins, fresh fruit (we had good strawberries one day), yoghurt, scrambled egg, bacon/sausage, toast/waffle, assorted teas/coffee/milk. Contrary to another review, there were good plates and cutlery at breakfast (there were also styro plates and plastic forks for children presumably or to carry-out food) - which were spotless and clean. No complaint there - as it was comparable to other hotels I've stayed in (Hilton, Marriott, etc). Breakfast is in a nice dining area near a library/lounge - very comfortable.
6. Cookies and milk in the lobby were a hit with the kids - we ate some in the library/lounge area after a dip in the pool and hot tub (after changing to dry clothes since it's not allowed to walk at the lobby with wet suits on!).
7. Good restaurants on-site - we tried the Bistro on a Friday night and had a good dinner with the kids (they had mac&cheese, cheese pizza). It was full/crowded at 8PM and we were seated after 20 minutes walk-in. The adults ordered flat hanging steak, salmon, halibut, seared ahi - all were worth the price (a bit on the expensive side). They seemed to have a full bar as the table setting had wine glasses on them when we were seated - the men ordered scotch on the rocks, and the people at the other tables were drinking wine. We didn't try the fine-dining restaurant(West Steak) only the Bistro, but since we stayed in the hotel, we can see a steady stream of well-dressed diners in up-scale cars going. It looked like a popular place to eat on a Friday night.
8. Good restaurants close-by (short drive) - if you don't want to eat on-site. We ate at Chin's Szechuan Rest. and were impressed (ambiance, food, service - all top-notch but reasonably priced).
9. Good-sized pool, good-sized jacuzzi. Has ice-cold drinking water close-by (a big jug with fresh lemon slices) - I thought was a nice touch. Lots of pool-towels, a basket of magazines, free swim-diapers for infants. My kids were toilet-trained - but I thought the swim diapers would have been appreciated by other parents with smaller kids.
10. Has sun-dries shop where you can buy small items (sun-block, tylenol, etc).
11. Has a library where you can borrow books to read for the duration of your stay. Mom-in-law made use of it.
12. Has a small fitness center with good equipment.

Cons:
1. Breakfast is not good enough (comparing to the Homewood Suites) - seemed like frozen stuff warmed over (e.g. waffle, toast, scrambled egg). One day, there was no soymilk although we had some the previous day.
2. Some of the staff don't speak English well, although they quickly found someone who does and our issue was resolved satisfactorily
3. Complimentary bottled water was not replenished on our second day. We didn't ask but then, we expected it to be done automatically.
4. One lady driver for the shuttle was not in the mood - she was polite enough but it was obvious she's not having a good day (and it was early morning on our way to Legoland). She's the only hotel staff like that - so far, everyone we came across with were super...

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with family
UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

I feel like I missed something with this hotel.For us ( myself,my husband and 4 yo) this hotel really didnt hit the spot. We paid a very similar rate to the Omni in San Diego, and maybe for that I was expecting something more.When we arrived early, we were told that as the hotel was full the night before no rooms were ready, nor would be till 3pm and to go away and they would call us. This is all well and good but unless they clean each room in som sort of production line style, why did we have to wait till 3pm? Surely at least one would be ready before then. They then proceeded to hassle 2 rooms for being 15mins late with check out. Come on, if you are that busy, you arent even ready to clean the 2 tardy rooms at 11.15. So, its seemed slightly contradictory and jobsworth. We then got the shuttle bus to the mall to kill some time and were told the hotel wasnt actually busy. Jobsworth? Surely not.
We also discovered that the hotel doesnt have a liquor licence.Really? Does such a hotel actually exist? I might be with a family but after a hard day at legoland, anybody would like a glass of wine!
On the plus side, the guest laundry room was useful.
On the downside, the cookies and milk at 8pm was nice but just kind of there. No atmosphere, I felt like everyone was sort of going thru the motions.
The hotel doesnt change travellers cheques though it does change quarters for the washer.(!!!)
And the breakfast. I know it was "complimentary" but for $209 a night plus tax (similar to what what we paid for the Omni SD) I would have hoped for more than paper plates bowls and plastic cutlery.
In short, if I wanted to open a hotel and run it with minimum effort, it would be this - basic breakfast,guests to serve themselves, plastic plates go straight in a trash bin in the middle of the breakfast room, no other services during the day, no in room dining or dining area, no laundry service, no liquor licence, no communal areas no gym no bar , this would be my business model.
On the plus side and to try and be balanced, some of the staff were pleasant (Ryan,Annie,Kirstin(Cristin?) and the pool was nice enough, and the rooms were smart, very clean great quality beds,bed linen and tvs and well serviced.However, our opinion is that this was a motel priced as a 4* hotel - hotels in the area could offer more for the same price, or motels the same for less money.Sorry but we hoped for more for what we paid.

nyc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

We had a 6-night stay at the West Inn. It was truly as nice of a stay as others have written. Check-in / Check-out was efficient. The staff, everyone single one, was friendly. When the folks at the front desk heard that we were going to the beach, they offered our kids beach toys and chairs and towels right the way. any question we had for the front desk was answered promptly in a friendly manner. The room was done nicely, with good workmenship. the bed was very comfy. housekeeping was excellent. the complimentary breakfast offered a good variety of choices. For those looking forward to cookies and milk at night, i believe they are put out at 8pm. one the days we went to Legoland, we made arrangements with the front desk for the morning drop-off. in the afternoon, one of the front desk folks came and got us. the pick-up was always prompt. hopefully i haven't left out any nice experiences we've had. we would definitely stay at the hotel again.

as some other reviewers have pointed out, the hotel is right across from a railroad track. we weren't bothered by the passing trains at all, as a matter of fact, since our 4-year-old is still in his train stage, he rather enjoyed it. the hotel is also right next to the power plant. the hotel is very close to the beach. it looked walkable, but we didn't.

the hotel has two restaurants on site, West Bistro and West Steak, Seafood, etc. The Bistro offers a kid's menu, the other one doesn't. The Bistro is more casual than the steak place. We had dinner at each restaurant. Neither my husband nor I like what we ordered at the Bistro. We liked the appertizers at the steak place. my husband like his steak, but I thought my fish was bland.

If you decide to stay at this hotel, I hope you have as good of a time as we did.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Ontario, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2009

We chose West Inn and Suites solely based on the reviews on Trip Advisor. We were not disappointed. Yes, it is right off the 5 Freeway, but we absolutely could not hear any traffic. After booking 2 suites, I received a call a few days later from Kristine asking if there was anything she could do for us upon our arrival. Because of my grandkids allergies, I wanted to make sure that we didn't receive a room that had been previously occupied by someone with pets. She made sure right then that we were not in one of those rooms. Check in was easy. The rooms were clean, new, and roomy! It was nice to have a small refrigerator and microwave. The beds were wonderful. We went to the Flower Fields, which everyone enjoyed. The Outlet Stores were great. Beautiful day at the beach. The housekeeping staff were friendly and helpful. Breakfast was fine. Better than continental. The kids were very happy with the cereal, fruit, french toast, and cold milk! The kids were in the pool and spa the night we arrived (until 10:00 p.m.) and the next day. And of course, the cookies and milk in the evening was an added treat. We would definitely stay here again, even if we will be going to attractions in San Diego. I recommend this hotel for anyone with little kids, teenagers, or just a couple. I filled out the survey that was left in our room. A few weeks later, I received a letter from the General Manager thanking me for taking the time to do the survey and to single out those that were so nice and helpful. It's this personal touch that makes this hotel far superior to the bigger hotels.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!