“Nothing bad to say” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Arizona
“Nothing bad to say”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2009

I found this hotel on this website, and even though there were a few complaints [the train, the location, etc] I decided to give it a try. I'm very picky about where I stay, and this place was absolutely wonderful. The e-mails I received from the manager were normal as usual, but any questions I had were responded from her e-mail, stating that she was definitely going to meet my needs. And she did! As far as the complaints go, I didn't need it to be beach side but it was not very far at all. You do need to drive to get there, though. The train came through at random times and it was usually very brief - it never woke me. I arrived at 1AM, driving from the phoenix area at 7PM, and the woman at the front desk was nothing but nice. The room was clean and everything the website promises. There are a couple of things I would have changed but they were very minor, such as hand soap. A little pricier than the other hotels for a room this size but they definitely take care of you - I stayed in a king suite and it was very roomy for just me and a guest that stayed with me for one night, I just hope the normal rooms aren't tiny. The free parking is also a great incentive. I will stay here again for any other trips I make out here.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled solo

705 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
Flower Mound, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2009

We stayed here based on Tridadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. The location was great for going to Legoland, a 15 minute walk to the beach, and located close enough to San Diego to enjoy other attractions. The hotel provides an excellent shuttle service to and from Legoland upon request, and the only problem we had was that the staff sold us two day tickets and didn't tell us the park was closed on Tue/Wed during our stay.

The hotel is definitely geared towards families, with a great breakfast, a library stocked with books / movies / games, and warm chocolate chip cookies with milk each night. The rooms were very clean, spacious and had everything we needed. The King suite also helped keep the kids in their own bed ;)

The West Inn Steakhouse adjacent to the hotel was fantastic; the service was great and accommodating kids was not a problem for them. I'd equate the food to a Ruth Chris type steakhouse. The other restaurant onsite was not that great and I'd recommend going out to eat as you get better or comparable food for much less.

Our family plans to return again to visit Legoland and we'll definitely stay at the West Inn.

SoCal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

We spent a weekend night after shopping at the outlets.
This was a wedding anniversary getaway.
The location of the property only makes it convenient,since it is right at the end
of an offramp from the Hiway 5. It is not near the ocean but it is in close proxmity
to the flower fields,outlet shopping and Legoland.
It is a nice hotel and the comp breakfast offerings were more than adequate.
It's promo of being a boutique hotel doesn't quite measure up. I guess the economy
has driven their rates up but, I wouldn't stay here again for a buck and a half per night.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2009

I stayed in Carlsbad for the 20th Junior Carlsbad 5000. I stay in this area last year an found it very difficult to move about in the mornings of race weekend. I chose this hotel based on location and the availability of shuttle services. I can not say anything negative about the hotel and the staff. Maybe the parking can be an issue with the restaurants but even though it was packed I always found a spot. The staff was very welcoming upon arrival and continued throughout my stay. The breakfast was a great way to start our mornings. Not only could you have to every hotel continental breakfast but also you have scrambled eggs, sausage, bacon and either french toast or waffles. They have restaurants on site but I did not take the time to enjoy them. Overall it was great. The two things I an say were the towels were fabulous and flexibility and friendliness of the staff was impeccable. The staff emailed me multiple times to ensure my stay was arranged and all my need were met. Definitely would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2009

My family and I came out to califorina from Las Vegas to go to Lego land. We knew the hotel would be nice from the reviews it recieved, but when we got there they totally exceeded our expecttions. Our room was spacious and clean comfortable and beautiful! They are literally 5 min away from lego land. The front desk staff was helpful and super friendly. The housekeeping was acomodating and did a great job. Breakfast was very good and it saves you $ and time! The pool is beautiful and is usually heated but durining our stay the heater was busted, but is wasn't unbearably cold and the hot tube worked just fine:) Cookies and milk time was a great touch! We had a wonderful stay and will definately be back ASAP!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2009

The hotel is conveniently located right off the freeway and about five minutes to Legoland. The best part of the hotel are the beds! The pillows are amazing. We had just arrived from the Embassy Suites in Anaheim and the difference in the beds is huge. We stayed in room 100 which was perfect for our family to go out into their living room area. There they have games, couches, and a tv to hang out in. There is access to coffee/tea and ice water anytime of the day. The milk and cookies in the evening were a welcome treat for our kids. Another great detail that my husband and I loved were the complimentary wine and beer in the evening. If you are traveling to Legoland you have to stay here!

Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

Everything I read on Trip Advisor before we left was accurate -- this is a very nice hotel with excellent service, and this in spite of the fact that the hotel was completely booked every night we were there. We were in Carlsbad to take our son to Legoland, so for that purpose it was a perfect location, and the shuttle was prompt and really convenient for wherever we wanted to go. The business centre was also really handy to get our boarding passes for our return flights.

I only have two small quibbles. The first is that the pool was not heated. Please! It is not summer yet! We were there for 5 days and no one was working on it at all. We stuck with the hot tub, but it would have been nice to swim too.

The second quibble is the breakfast, which could have been much better with very little extra effort or expense on the part of the hotel. A wider variety of local, in-season fresh fruit, and whole grain bread products would have helped us find something healthy to eat among the fat, sugar and white flour options we had to choose from instead.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!