“A really nice hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
Vancouver
“A really nice hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

Everything I read on Trip Advisor before we left was accurate -- this is a very nice hotel with excellent service, and this in spite of the fact that the hotel was completely booked every night we were there. We were in Carlsbad to take our son to Legoland, so for that purpose it was a perfect location, and the shuttle was prompt and really convenient for wherever we wanted to go. The business centre was also really handy to get our boarding passes for our return flights.

I only have two small quibbles. The first is that the pool was not heated. Please! It is not summer yet! We were there for 5 days and no one was working on it at all. We stuck with the hot tub, but it would have been nice to swim too.

The second quibble is the breakfast, which could have been much better with very little extra effort or expense on the part of the hotel. A wider variety of local, in-season fresh fruit, and whole grain bread products would have helped us find something healthy to eat among the fat, sugar and white flour options we had to choose from instead.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Dallas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2009

I brought my family with me on a business trip to San Diego - after the meeting we headed up to Carlsbad for 2 days to hit Legoland. I decided to stay at the West Inn because of the positive reviews and I was not disappointed.
Service was excellent - felt like we were the only ones there.
Family friendly - good breakfast, milk and cookies at night, free drop off and pick-up at Legoland
Adult friendly - while kids played in pool, my wife enjoyed the complimentary wine tasting (M-Thurs) and read a book.
Great rooms - we had enough room with 2 kings, crowave and fridge in room was a plus
There were games in the library - one night we went down for milk and cookies and stayed down several hours playing family games.
The West bistro next door had great food and service as well.

Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2009

I travel extensively for business, coast to coast and it has become NO PICNIC! We face overcrowded planes, dining alone on chicken dish number 237, impersonal hotel staffs, and time away from home and family. I needed to stay near my client and this was one of my closest choices. NOT thinking about this being spring break, I booked the room through my agency for 4 days. I could not have been MORE PLEASED. When I arrived, I felt like I was standing in a lobby in Key West. There were dark wood floors with an island feel and a relaxed friendly atmosphere. I was greeted warmly at the desk and told of all the amenities. When I got to the room, the beds looked inviting, there was a large safe (big enough for sensitive papers, and a laptop as well), a mini-frig, microwave, oversized bathroom with soft, thick towels, a DVD player and a very comfortable work area. The room was immaculate and kept that way during my entire stay. If I had ANY concerns about families being present (noise), they disappeared as soon as I was in my room. I had NO outside noise penetrate my sanctuary, night or day. The maid staff was very friendly, smiling and able to answer any of my questions. While on business, I felt relaxed and comfortable which is rare these days. The restaurants (both owned by the hotel) varied from upscale (great for business meetings)to bistro (a hot spot for locals) and served outstanding food with superior firendly service. I am a HUGE fan and look forward to staying here again, business OR pleasure.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

For the price you pay, this is a great little hotel....not the Four Seasons of course but clean and comfortable. You can tell they take good care of the property and everything seems very new. We traveled recently with our 2 children and the hotel is very family friendly - cookies at night, swim diapers by the pool, and of course close to Legoland. My only complaint is that you are RIGHT next to the freeway. We couldn't hear it from our room but could see it. Beside that it was a great base for a nice quick vacation. We also ate at the West Grill next door and were pleasantly surprised by the food and decor. A bit upscale but a very nice dinner.

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

This hotel was great in every way. It's new and clean. Rooms were huge and they even brought a new crib up for our baby at no additional charge.
Nice heated pool & hot tub outside with towel and little swimmers provided.
Includes free hot breakfast buffet every morning. Free Parking.
Excellent, friendly staff. Close to beach, legoland, and restaurants.
Cookies for kids in the evenings. Complimentary wine & snacks each evening between 5:30-6:30.
Couldn't ask for a better hotel. We will stay here again.

South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2009

We were in Carlsbad for a day at Legoland. We stayed at the hotel from a Friday evening until Sunday. This hotel has everything a famly needs for a home away from home. We stayed in a room with a great, comfortable king size bed and a living area with a suprisingly comfortable sofa bed. We have a 6yr. old and a 5yr old and there was enough room for the children to play with their toys and watch their movies while still allowing my husband and I to enjoy resting on the king size bed(watching our own tv). The hotel is clean and welcoming. I really enjoyed the evening cookies and milk(coffee for adults) and the fact that they have a common room with great family games that you can play in the common area or bring to your room. There were bed time stories(my daughter loved the illustrations on the books) and the staff was always friendly and helpful. The hotel is right off the highway yet we slept soundly and didn't hear any outside noise from our room. the room had a great microwave and refrigerator and I was impressed by the bathroom space and ammenities. We will definetly return to this hotel when we are in Carlsbad.

Encinitas, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2009

Due to damage in our home we are currently residing at the West Inn & Suites. It has been an absolute pleasure! The staff are friendly, patient and extremely helpful. The hotel is small and intimate. We feel we are staying with family! While the West Bistro (next to hotel) is very nice it is a bit on the pricey side but the food is excellent. One of the best things about this hotel is they are pet friendly and clearly pet lovers! Our pet isn't with us but the care and welcome they give to the other pet guests is heart warming to see. We have implemented "game night" in the dining hall with milk and cookies to cap off the day.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with family