“Best hotel in Carlsbad” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Placentia
“Best hotel in Carlsbad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

We recently stayed at the West. We stayed 3 nights. My husband & I both agree it's worth the price. The staff is super friendly and the room was spacious & clean. They shuttled us Legoland, the beach and the local dining area. The hotel had all the beach stuff you would ever need & they also stock the pool with toys, swimmers and towels. They have milk & cookies for the evening and a great hot breakfast in the morning. I could not rave enough about this hotel. We will definitely stay again.

Stayed July 2014

715 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
S.F.
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 days ago NEW

We stayed here in June 2014. The hotel property, rooms and amenities were excellent. There is a free 5 minute shuttle service from the hotel to Legoland. You can get on a list to reserve your spot to the park and either pick your return time or call 30-45 minutes before your desired pick up time from the park.
The hotel grounds are clean, modern and is close to I-5. There are two excellent restaurants within a few feet of the hotel. The steakhouse is more upscale and has a dress code. The Wine Bistro was more casual yet a fine restaurant with excellent food.
One caveat is the hotel is pet friendly (extra cost) so unless you're expecting pets in the hotel it can come as a surprise. I must say despite this, there was no obvious signs that there were any adverse affects...except for a yapping dog in a room directly across from our room that would not stop. I'm not sure if they divided up the hotel by pet friendly side and a no pets area but it might be a good suggestion.
The rooms were clean, full of amenities and did not appear worn out. I believe the hotel has been open for only 7 years. There is a complimentary buffet breakfast which was nice. My only suggestion is if you want bacon with your breakfast, show up before 8am. It is the first item to go and is not replenished. Other than that it was nice to get a free breakfast. In the evening, they serve complimentary warm chocolate chip cookies, milk and coffee...another nice touch. There's a small snack and sundry area adjacent to the front desk which is supplied with most necessities and popular snacks.
As a side note, there's a 'West' gas station conveniently located right next to the hotel. The staff was accommodating and friendly. We did have a mix up in the beginning where I believe a new employee gave us the wrong key and the wrong room number which we didn't find out until running out of patience trying to open the door on a different floor.
The swimming pool was average but fine for the hotel.

Overall, I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask if there's a pet free zone area of the hotel unless you're bringing your dog with you.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This hotel was awesome! We read a lot of good reviews on it and it was very tough to decide on where to stay for our Legoland family trip. It came down to a few choices and we decided to book here and we were very happy that we did. The hotel is even prettier in person, its very clean and the staff was friendly. Wood floors, nice flowers and decor, nicely sized rooms. The breakfast was awesome with lots of choices and its free! Parking was good and easy to access. You can even rent movies, beach toys, there is a laundry facility on the 2nd floor and they had fresh lemon water by the pool. They just thought of everything at this hotel. The kids loved the cookies and milk and looked forward to it every night. Very close to legoland and down a few streets from restaurants and the ocean. I liked the area. They were doing some construction on the street but it didnt effect us at all. I heard a lady complaining about a train but I never heard it and I was on the first floor. I have nothing bad to say about this hotel. If you are looking for a great family hotel at a good price and all the goodies that come with it then I definitely recommend it.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Littleton, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

We have stayed in a lot of hotels, but we can seriously say we have never stayed in a more accomodating one than the West Inn. They were willing to assist and provide us with anything. The hotel was clean, the breakfasts were good, and the service was amazing. I would suggest this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW

This hotel was suggested by a friend who grew up in California and stayed there on his last visit home to see family. I cannot imagine I would have found it otherwise.
To begin, this hotel is well located. The I-5 is right around the corner to access to San Diego is close by. If you avoid rush hour, you can be there in no time. Legoland is also just 10 minutes so down the road as are the outlet malls. There are two restaurants on the property. The first is more casual. Food is excellent though. Not cheap but worth it. The other restaurant is also right there. We did not go there. Reservations were required as was casual business attire. I did not pack dress pants so I did not bother trying to go. It is too bad because my friend who recommend the hotel was very complimentary of this restaurant. There is also a gas station close by-on the way to I-5. It is literally 1 minute from the hotel.
The staff is excellent. That includes the front desk, cleaning staff, food services-everyone. We were always politely greeted. Honestly, they just were amazing. Breakfast came with the room. It was excellent. Lots of delicious hot food. I was clearing my table when one of the food people came up and told me she would take care of it. I was on vacation and to just go and enjoy. I was so impressed. Coffee is always available. They have milk and cookies for the kids from 8 pm to 9 pm.
There is a shuttle that runs so you can get just about anywhere you want. Beach chairs etc were available as well. Not sure if they were complimentary. We ended up going to La Jolla for the beach.
They have a nice room to sit and read with a nice selection of books. The pool area is also very nice. There is a hot tub and shower. Kids have water toys provided as are towels. They even have the little swimmer diapers for the little ones complimentary.
We got a king suite. Bed was very comfortable. Room was great. There were two tv's. Each had a DVD player. DVD's were available free of charge. The kids got one and so did my wife and I. On the last day we were supposed to be there, we were offered a discounted rate if we wanted to stay longer.
It is almost as if this hotel planned on taking care of their guests. They planned on just about every eventuality. Hands down the best hotel I have stayed in. If you are in hotel management, go there and see how things should be run. There is no doubt that on my next trip to Carlsbad, I will stay at the West Inn.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We chose West Inn because it is one of the few places that can accommodate a family of six. We stayed four nights, Sunday thru Thursday. Our room looked new, or nearly so, and had two King size beds and one full-size pull-out couch. There was plenty of room for us all, with a full bathroom (we chose the bathtub and shower, but a large shower is also an option with the Double King), several dresser drawers and hanging armiores. There is a full breakfast each morning and warm chocolate chip cookies at 8pm each night. They have free DVD's to check-out and games and books to use while staying.

The West Bistro, while not attached to the Inn, is just next door on the same property. They have great food and drink, with a bar area if desired. We dined there our first night and ordered take out two other nights (they offer room delivery for an 18% charge). The Chinese Chicken Salad is delicious!

The pool and spa were spacious and the Inn provides additional towels, swim toys, goggles, floaties, etc. There's an outdoor shower to rinse off, and a bathroom just inside the side door so we didn't have to go back to our room when bathroom breaks were needed.

We utilized the free shuttle to Legoland and to the beach. The drivers were timely, courteous, and helpful in finding places to dine each night. Speaking of the beach, the Inn also provided towels, beach umbrellas, and sand toys for our trip there.

Lastly...and this should really go first...was the most excellent service AFTER we checked out. We were about two hours outside of Carlsbad and deep into LA traffic when my daughter realized she had left her Kindle in one of the desk drawers in our room. We didn't know she put it in there and didn't think to check it along with all of the other drawers as we checked out. I called the Inn and the front desk representative called the head of Hospitality and asked that he check the room immediately. He found the Kindle and the Inn mailed it back to our home a few days later (as requested because we weren't heading straight home from Carlsbad).

While we enjoyed this for our family - and it is VERY family friendly - we saw lots of business travelers in the dining area, which is warm with lots of space - not crowded or loud.

We all thoroughly enjoyed the West Inn and look forward to staying there again upon our next trip to Carlsbad.

Room Tip: Choose the room that is the right size for your party - there will be plenty of space!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Arvada, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

This hotel has it all. From incredible customer service, immaculate appearance, to great value. If you are at LegoLand, golfing, or just visiting, make sure to stay here. We utilized a Stay and Play golf package. Shortly after making a reservation, a wonderful young lady from the hotel actually sent me an email asking me if she could make us a tee time. Just great value added I thought. There is an excellent restaurant next door called the West Steakhouse, in walking distance, which was very convenient.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!