“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
Saint Louis, Missouri
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2014

The West Inn and Suites is located between the coast and I-5 freeway in Carlsbad, which is a very convenient location for both business or vacation activities. I have stayed at many of the hotels in the Carlsbad area, but this one is the best overall in a few regards:

- The rooms were very comfortable, easily some of the best sleep I've ever had in a hotel
- Convenient parking
- Great restaurant options at the associated bistro or steak house
- Within walking distance of the beach
- Outstanding staff

My room was on the ground floor near the railroad tracks so I was quite skeptical upon check-in, but found the room had a great feel and was extremely quiet. The staff was very welcoming and they remembered my name throughout my stay.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (155)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2014

Once again, the West Inn and Suites showed why it has consistently racked rave reviews, and ranked as one of the Top 3 hotels in Carlsbad, and Top 8 for Family Hotels in the whole USA! I returned for a second time to be able to stay longer and fully enjoy this gem of a hotel. As you walk in, the fragrant smell immediately welcomes you but not in an overpowering way. The lobby with its wood panels, cozy decor, fresh orchids and high ceilings feels very homey and not that of an impersonal chain hotel. Check in was fast and easy, very thorough and friendly-informing us about the hotel amenities-pool and gym, breakfast, free parking, free wifi, free breakfast, free DVD rentals and fresh warm cookies and milk at night. We go up to our room, and we were ushered into a 2 bed suite of 2 King (not queen beds)! It has a separate living, with flat screen TV, fridge, microwave, Melitha coffeemaker. The bathroom has shower/tub, has plenty of counterspace and uses Aveda toiletries! The beds are spacious and comfortable with plenty of pillows, fresh white sheets, has plenty of lights yet has the floor to ceiling windows allow plenty of natural light to come through. There is plenty of closet and drawer space, robes to use, a safe, and a flat screen TV and ottoman to relax in. I was lucky to get an alcoved room that has the extra space and looks out to the pool. The swimming pool is decent sized and has ready towels, iced lemon water, shower and also a jacuzzi hot tub. Even though the hotel is next to the freeway, the sound of cars is masked by the waterfalls and from inside the rooms, you cannot hear the cars at all. The hotel serves a full hot breakfast of eggs, bacon, links, oatmeal, pastries, bread and tea/coffee or milk. It is certainly a great bargain for families. The hotel has a free shuttle to the Premium Outlets, the seasonal Flower Fields (a piece of Holland in CA) and Legoland. It is also a short drive to the historic seaside Carlsbad Village where there are lots of shops and restaurants. In the same complex as the hotel is the elegant steakhouse, the less pricey Bistro, a gas station and a minimart. It is indeed very centrally located and convenient to everything. With their Aveda toiletries, free breakfast, shuttle, wifi and DVDs, milk and cookies, and even turndown service with chocolates, it is truly amazing how this hotel offers such luxury service with family budget prices. I searched high and low for something in the hotel to criticize because it was too good to be true-I looked in the closet and saw that the flat iron electric cord does not retract automatically! Alas, the hotel does have an imperfection after all! :) Other than that, it is indeed one of the best hotels you could ever stay at in your wandering travel life!

Room Tip: Ask for pool view in an alcoved room!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Sacramento, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2014

We just got back from our vacation and I had to write a review for this hotel. We loved it. We decided to stay here after reading reviews on trip advisor. I'm so glad we did. We stayed here for 3 nights so we can visit Legoland and family in Oceanside. This is not a huge hotel. It is the perfect size, nice and cozy. Our room was on the first floor near the lobby, which is my preferred floor because it's just easier with kids, and I don't like waiting for elevators. We got the 2 king bedroom. The rooms weren't huge but it was just the right size. The beds seemed like it was bigger than a regular king. Maybe because it was just so comfortable. I loved the huge showers in the bathroom. The rooms also came with a mini refrigerator, microwave and sink which came very handy. The heated pool wasn't huge but a good size. My kids had a great time swimming, and I loved that they provided swim floaties and swim diapers. They were also stocked with plenty of towels and ice cold water and magazines. Plenty of chairs to lay out in and plenty of shade. The free breakfast was very convenient and good and there was always plenty of seats and tables. They changed it up each day that we were there. For instance, I was able to make myself a yummy breakfast burrito with bacon, eggs and salsa, and the next day it was pancakes, eggs and sausage. I'm also glad they had single serve soy milk, which I was also able to bring to my room to drink at night. And speaking of night, loved the milk and cookies they provide each night. Plus they have free dvd rentals which we took advantage of. The first night my husband had dinner at the steakhouse next door and he enjoyed it. I on the other hand stayed in with the kids and ordered room service from the cafe also next door. I ordered the meatloaf which was good and big serving and the kids had pepperoni pizza. Both meals cost a bit on the high side but it was worth buying when your too lazy to drive out for food. My only regret was that we didn't stay there the whole week we were on vacation. I had book our last two nights to stay at the Carlsbad Inn which was not as nice as the West Inn (another review for that hotel to follow). My husband who travels a lot for work and stayed in hotels all over actually said he was sad to leave this hotel and it was one of the top hotels he's stayed at. Everyone was friendly and they provide a quick and easy shuttle to Legoland. We had missed our shuttle back twice from Legoland because we ended staying there longer than expected, and they were really nice about it. Some reviews also mentioned the train nearby. We heard it, but it did not bother us one bit. We highly recommend this hotel.

Alaska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We have traveled all over the world and this is one of the nicest hotels we have experienced. There may be bigger hotels, more expensive hotels, and more glamorous hotels, but West Inn gets it right in all the fine details and important places. We had a very posh double King room overlooking the pool. Double windows protected our quiet, salon soaps and accessories were in the bathroom, articles were artfully arranged, and the beds were very comfortable. We get so tired of being dinged on all the small stuff at the big chains, so it was nice they include a wide selection of complimentary bonuses. They had some great recent DVDs so we set the kids up and went out to eat at the very tasty bistro. They have a nice shuttle service to Legoland and to the beach, including all the important beach stuff: even boogy boards. The inn itself is impeccably furnished and decorated. The breakfast includes quality food, there are cookies and milk at night! Best of all, the staff is super friendly and polite. If you are going to Disney, chat with Amanda - they call her the Disney girl as she has all the inside info. I highly recommend West Inn - it's worth a special trip and we would like to come back - from Alaska!

Stayed April 2014
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

We travel a TON and this time we were here for 5 days with our two children. The staff was amazing, so friendly, room and hotel was beautiful pictures do not do it justice. The breakfast was great and the milk and cookies were such an awesome added touch. What did it for us was the convenience hands down. It was so close to everything including Legoland and beaches. Beach equipment, movies, games, were available to use complimentary. Free shuttle, gas station on site, bistro and nice steak restaurant on site. The pool was outside, well kept and warm! I LOVED this place, none of us wanted to leave. Definitely would stay again, I wish they had more hotels throughout the country, I would never stay anywhere else!

Room Tip: All rooms here are AMAZING!!
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2014

Going off tripadvisor recommendations, we chose West Inn & Suites for our stay while we visited Legoland. We were greeted by a friendly staff and a very well kept hotel! Not old do they have excellent and comfortable rooms, they have milk and cookies in the evening as well as many other niceties. The complimentary hot buffet breakfast was great and they even had beach toys we were able to borrow for the kids. There was a list of movies to borrow and watch as well as the free shuttle within 5 miles. I will definitely be staying here again when we come back to Carlsbad!

Room Tip: The pool view was great on the Southeast side since there is a power plant on the Northwest side of...
Foxboro, WI
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed at the West Inn April 2-6. We had a great time. The hotel was fabulous. All employees were friendly and accommodating. The breakfast buffet was the best I have had at a hotel. We used the pool every afternoon and it was nicely heated even though the evenings were a bit cool. Very nice pool and hot tub. Truly a great location. There is a train track close to the hotel, but never heard that or the freeway noise. Close to the beaches, shopping, restaurants, and attractions. We ordered in from Bistro West and the food was excellent. I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!