“Best of its class in area” 4 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Endless Summer
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
Los Angeles, California
“Best of its class in area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

West Inn and Suites is off the Cannon Road Exit on 405. t is in a good location for a visit to Legoland or the discount mall. There are several decent motels at this exit (including a Hilton Garden and a Hyatt house). I have stayed at all of them and they are all good, but I just like the West a little better. If the prices are close, I generally choose it. The rooms come with two big King Size beds so I can fit the whole family. The only negative on my last visit was the free breakfast. Not that great. There are several restaurants pretty close by, The West Bistro is a very good place. Very nice for adults but ok for Children too. A fancier West Steak and Seafood restaurant is there too if you want something more formal. There is cheaper food such as Claimjumper (and cheaper chain motels) not too far away as well. Overall, the West Inn is a fine motel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

I always like to complain about something, so I will give you the Pros and Cons of the West Inn and Suites in Carlsbad, Cal. The "Cons" first! There are no "Cons"! The "Pros" of this hotel..in a few words... "A COMPLETE FIVE STAR HOTEL". The staff are their to please you and very, very friendly from the Hotel Staff to the Housekeepers! Maybe, I had one issue, I don't like to drink coffee. I usually drink tea in the morning but nothing in the room to boil my water for my tea, so the Manager went out and bought a electric boiling water pot for my suite. Now that is quality service. You will not be disappointed with this Hotel. And by the way, I am going back. I usually stay at the Hilton Brand, but this hotel is a diamond in the ruff!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Burlington, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

My son and I dropped in with no reservation, late on a Friday night. The young lady at the front desk was very helpful and friendly and was able to get us a nice room. We got a room with two very comfortable king beds and all the amenities you might expect. I don't care for hotel breakfast in general, but they had a very nice breakfast buffet as far as typical hotel breakfasts are concerned. We stayed on the first floor, and the only negative was a screaming child in the hallway at 7:30 am, but it is a family friendly place so those things happen. I would stay here again for sure.

Room Tip: If you stay on the west end you'll hear the train, the east end is more peaceful.
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

I have stayed at the West Inn a number of times in 2012 and 2013 for both business and personal reasons.

The West is an independent hotel of medium size. The rooms are large and clean, and personal touched abound. By my second stay I was greeted by name. By my third stay the desk clerk brought me medication when she knew I was sick.

At this hotel, employees make sure there are always enough toiletries, towels, etc. even when the guest doesn't accommodate their cleaning-refreshing the room (like when I sleep all day), by leaving a basket outside the door.

It does not hurt that the price is right either.

I would recommend the West for business or family travels.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Prescott, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2014

We stayed at this hotel for a last minute new years trip. The reviews we had read were very positive and we were not disappointed. The hotel is beautiful and despite the fact that it is nestled off the highway, between railroad tracks and a power facility of some type, it manages to maintain a sense of style and elegance that is impressive.
The staff was wonderful from the very beginning through the end. They were accommodating, professional and helpful.
We upgraded our room to a two king room and were glad we did. The room was comfortable and most important it was spotless. The beds were amazing and each day we returned to our room glad to have such a nice place to rest.
The breakfast was OK, good enough to get you going, but not stellar. Our daughter loved the milk and cookies at night, although they could have left them out a bit longer than an hour:)
All in all, it was a great place to stay and we would definitely recommend this to anyone!

San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

If you're visiting Legoland, this is your place.

PROS:
- Up to date, modern hotel
- Nice pool area
- The beds are extremely comfortable
- Kids love the milk and cookies at night (so do the adults)
- Nice sized fridge, microwave and sink in room (but nicely separated)
- Literally minutes from Legloland
- Free pick up/drop off to Legloland
- Handy gas and market within short walk from hotel

CONS:
- Be sure to request a room away from the elevator. There is an extremely loud banging/sliding noise.
- The beach is not walkable from the hotel. You have to drive significantly. Look elsewhere if you're looking for a beachside hotel.
- The area surrounding the hotel is a factory or electricity plant of some kind. Very unappealing aesthetically.
- Food and service at the Bistro was subpar and very overpriced. But its easy to find dining alternatives in Oceanside (just minutes away). Put Oceanside, CA in Yelp to find restaurants.

Overall, we enjoyed our stay and would recommend the West to others, largely due to the excellent service from the management. (We had several hiccups during our stay, but the very attentive management did what they could to correct it).

Room Tip: Request a room away from the elevators.
Rancho Santa Fe, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

This is my first time writing a review. The Inn is good, its clean, excellent staff, and a warm feeling always. The only thing wrong with the Inn is poor internet connection and room service. My husband and I usually eat at their steakhouse ( great ), but this bistro needs help. The service was slow, no product knowledge, and no attention to detail at all ( they need professional training). The food was ok, nothing special but just ok. The inside of the bistro is beautiful and warm/ inviting. There is a night and day difference between the steakhouse and the bistro. The steakhouse is more$$$ but worth it, the servers there are professionals. If you stay at the Inn I would advice going to the Bar at the Bistro or the steskhouse

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends