“Amazing service!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 35 Hotels in Carlsbad
California
“Amazing service!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is beautiful and very clean. The service is impeccable. Matt was wonderful in replying to my emails prior to my stay. Stephanie gave us some great ideas for food choices for our picky eater. We went to Carlsbad to celebrate our sons 3rd birthday by taking him to Legoland.
The staff had arranged to have balloons and candy delivered to our room. It was such a special touch. They assisted in making reservations for us at the bistro next door and even surprised our son with a birthday surprise there as well.
We were able to borrow DVD of his favorite movies to watch in our room.
Breakfast was delicious and they let us take some snacks back to our room.
We used the shuttle service to Legoland and it was a great decision, perfect drop off.
We will definitely be staying here again! Thank you West for making this such an amazing experience.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

Was looking for a place to stay in Carlsbad while visiting my daughter and came across this gem online. I was able to get 2 king size beds, a wonderful, full complimentary breakfast, walking distance to the beach, beautifully decorated Inn and with a very friendly staff, all under $200 a night! It really doesn't get any better than that!

• Stayed September 2013
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed 09/27-09/28. We found this place on trip advisor and booked it based on the excellent reviews. I'm so glad we did. The location is a bit odd. It's right off the 5 freeway but you are less than 5 min away from the beach. This hotel is a hidden gem and I would definitely go back. I had originally wanted to stay on the beach but could not find a place that looked modern and had good reviews. Glad we stayed at the West Inn!

The West Inn is cozy hotel. I felt like i was at home. The staff was so friendly. They go above and beyond to ensure your stay is the best. My boyfriend booked the room and mentioned that we were visiting California for my birthday. We checked into our room and i had ballons and a bottle of wine! Our room was beautiful and comfortable. All amenities were modern and new. Our bed was the best. Down comforter that had a duvet on it. Granite bathroom counters with Aveda hair products. I was in heaven! Ladies, they even provided me with my very own towel that is used for makeup.

Breakfast was excellent. They provide DVD movies as well. Wine tasting, cookies and milk at night, beach equipment that you can borrow. There is a gas station located on site as well if you have a rental. Pool is really nice with towels at the pool for you to use. If you are looking to go out in the downtown Carlsbad area the cab ride was about 13.00 so you are really close by.

We were there with no kiddos but we could tell this is a kid friendly establishment with it being so close to leggo land. I didn't mind it. It was quiet and relaxing!!

Room Tip: It's near the freeway but you can't hear a thing! We stayed in a higher floor and couldn'...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Santa Ynez, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

West Inn is a great experience with excellent service, great rooms, perfect pool and good shuttle to Legoland. We enjoyed the pool and spa (until 10 at night) - but I could hear the freeway while enjoying my time.

The staff could not be kinder or more service oriented. I got a sweet note from the manager a few days ahead of our arrival (something that has never happen to me in allllllll my years of travel). I shared that it was my son's birthday and we were surprised with balloons and a bottle of sparkling apple juice. It was a lovely touch.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Simi Valley, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2013

The West Inn & Suites was an excellent experience. It is new, impecably clean and offers all the amenities you could ask for in a hotel by the ocean. They even provide beach chairs. Their complex consists of the hotel, an outstanding steak, seafood and pasta restaurant (dressy casual, open for dinner only), a gourmet bistro restaurant/sports bar (casual, open for lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch), and a 24/7 mini market/gas station.

All the rooms are very large and well equipped. Refigerator, microwave, free Wi-Fi, individual thermostat.

The food and wine selections at both restaurants are fabulous. Even the complimentary hot buffet breakfast in the hotel is better than most. This place is definitely on my re-stay list.

Room Tip: Next to the freeway but you can't hear any noise.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Long Island, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

My family and I just returned from our vacation to SoCal today, and I didn't want to forget to write a review for this lovely hotel. We chose West Inn & Suites Carlsbad because it was rated #1 in Carlsbad on TripAdvisor and there were so many positive reviews that we decided to give it a try. We were not disappointed. From the moment we arrived, the ladies at the front desk, Danika, Nicolette, Elizabeth, Cherry, and in particular, Amanda :-), made every effort to make our stay an enjoyable one. Check-in was easy. We had a rough start to our trip which began with a 2 hour delay at the car rental company. From the moment I walked up to the front desk, they saw that I was frazzled and started cracking jokes to make me smile and offering compliments. This may seem cheesy to some, but the fact that they even cared enough to try to cheer me up lifted my spirits.There was no guesswork with our bill, they were able to comply with all special requests, even last minute ones, and they were very knowledgeable whenever we asked about the surrounding area (things to do,places to eat, etc...) Everyone from Carl, who helped us with our bags and in the restaurant, to the housekeeping and restaurant staff was always friendly and greeted you with a smile and a "Hello, good morning. How may I help you? Is there anything you need?"

On arrival we were pleased to discover that what you see on their website is what you get. The beautiful, clean, stylish room was truly beautiful, clean, and stylish, not just photographed to look that way. The beds were quite comfortable and the linens and pillows were abundant. We had a suite with a separate living area that we actually used! I mention this because in the past we have stayed in other hotels where the dated appearance and uncomfortable furniture made us ignore other parts of the room that weren't used for sleeping or showering. My children, 3 and 6, made use of the DVD player and the movies that we were allowed to borrow from the front desk free of charge. They often watched a movie while munching on the milk and yummy cookies provided in the lobby each night. We unfortunately missed out on the adult cocktail hour where they offer free beer and wine 2 nights a week.

The hotel had a decent amount of guests including many children, but still managed to remain fairly quiet. The pool area was clean and the pool was a decent size. My daughter particularly enjoyed the hot tub. Not only did they provide the standard clean towels, but there was also citrus flavored water, popular magazines for some light reading while lounging poolside, pool accessories like noodles and even a tube, and swim diapers for the little ones, just in case their parents forgot.

Breakfast was pretty good and complimentary. The only things we missed were a more kid friendly cereal, like Fruit Loops or Cheerios, and a waffle maker. The fresh fruit could also be of a better quality and wider assortment. Otherwise, all the essentials were there, eggs, bacon, french toast or pancakes, cereal, bagels, muffins and pastries. The coffee was pretty good too. There is also a restaurant right next door that will deliver to your room for a charge, but it's a two minute walk downstairs and the food is good. They serve brunch on the weekends if you really need a waffle fix.

Parking was free and there were plenty of spaces for everyone. WiFi was free, but a bit slow in some areas, particularly in the bedroom area, but management is aware and working on it as we were told. For the most part we used the small but well stocked business center for our needs. No complaints there. When we checked out, we had some issues with the next hotel we'd be staying at and Nicolette at the front desk was nice enough to allow us to use the business center for up to another 2 hours after check-out. It was nice not to feel rushed. Everything was done with a smile. What great customer service! We would enthusiastically recommend this hotel to anyone looking to stay in the Carlsbad area.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view of the pool.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

I booked my hotel stay here because of all the glowing reviews. I realize I have to take these reviews with a grain of salt because people tend to overinflate their experience. Don't get me wrong, this is a very nice hotel, but it wouldn't kill me to stay somewhere else if I found a better deal.

PROs:
- Nice sized rooms with big bathrooms
- Comfy beds with lots of pillows
- Nice flat screen with game console and DVD - 3 words for hotel management - DIGITAL CABLE PLEASE
- Close proximity to the beach - some people said they walked. There is some type of road construction going on right in front of the hotel which causes some congestion. You would be smarter to take the shuttle or drive down to the beach where there is a lot where you can park and get easy access to the beach and restrooms for a fee ($10 for day)
- Shuttle service - if you don't want to drive or pay for parking, the hotel provides a shuttle service to the outlets or Lego Land
- Nice pool (when not overrun by kids - see below)
- Towels, toys and chairs for use by hotel patrons
- Nice breakfast buffet (more on this below) featuring eggs, sausage and potatoes one day and eggs, bacon and French toast or a combination of either the next.
- Hotel is very clean
- Walking distance to West Steaks and Seafood which is OUTSTANDING - there is where the 5 stars really needs to go
- Mini mart/gas station on site
- Underground parking with access to the hotel
- Snacks and soft drinks for purchase at front desk
- Hotel staff very friendly and accommodating
- Wine pour on M-F at 5pm - I didn't partake but a nice offer

CONS:
- So realizing you are in close proximity to LEGOLAND - understand this hotel will be a kidsfest on weekends. If you are looking for a relaxing and quiet stay - choose another hotel - the kids running up and down the halls (what is it about kids running in hotel lobbies?) and going to town at the breakfast buffet on the weekend mornings. The room next to me featured screaming kids and slamming doors. When I was there on Monday - all the kids were cleared out and it was an enjoyable experience. So if your goal is to hit LEGOLAND - this is great on the weekends - quiet, relaxing beach weekend - not so much. Your best bet - Mon-Thurs - clear out before the weekend
-Location - I didn't see a lot mentioned about the hotel being located right in front of a huge substation! Several large trucks were trying to get in and out of the substation making it difficult to get into the parking area. There is no view - nothing to see of the beach - big disappointment
- Parking - there are 2 restaurants on site. Patrons are supposed to park in the front and parking in back for guests - but that is not enforced so you have to hope there will be parking underground since the only people who have access to the hotel are the guests
- Hotel gym - small, pretty much an after thought and it had a dirty socks type of smell to it
- Breakfast buffet room - too small to accommodate the crowds on the weekend - people tripping over one another to get to the food - what a hassle.

So the final word - it's a nice hotel and it's close to the beach - would I stay here again? Yes, but definitely not on the weekends.

Room Tip: Would be great if they had a kid-free wing in the hotel - there is an idea for you West!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!