“What a wonderful stay” 5 of 5 stars

4970 Avenida Encinas, Carlsbad, CA 92008   |
Ranked #3 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
“What a wonderful stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

I was delighted that the staff at West Inn & Suites checked with us before our arrival to welcome us and meet any needs we might have. They assured us that if we were to arrive early we would be welcome. When we arrived at 2:30am check in was a breeze and we were all ( my husband, myself and our three Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) quickly asleep in our TWO king size beds. The room was very clean and the beds so very comfortable. Plenty of pillows and the bed made so that you could have covers to meet your particular comfort level.
Since we came to spend time on the beach with three dogs sand became an issue. Housekeeping cheerfully accommodated our needs and worked around our schedule . Their cheerful and willing attitude was indeed delightful.
Information was provided in our room about special care for our pets.
Breakfast was hot and good every morning. On Christmas day a special list of restaurants that were open in the area was provided.
The hotel and grounds were well maintained and our comfort and relaxation was well thought out. I truly felt removed from my very busy life.
The only thing I felt wanting was the television system. I had never experienced LodgeNet and found it frustrating with few choices. I prefer the new Dre by DirecTv.

I will most assuredly stay at West Inn & Suites whenever I can in the future.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

674 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed at West Inn for a brief trip to Legoland. The rooms were clean and up-to-date, the hotel was well-maintained, and I found the place to be quiet (we were on the side away from the freeway).

But what really stood out was the service. We had to change plans suddenly and leave a few days early, which meant asking the staff to hold our bags and provide shuttle service even after we had checked out. No problem, they said -- no quibbling about whether we qualified for amenities or not. When our Legoland trip went longer than expected, they sent a shuttle out anyway just to get us (again, after we had already checked out).

My compliments to Corey in particular for excellent service at the front desk.

Breakfast was good, as was the business center for printing out boarding passes and so on. There were many other amenities we had planned on checking out but were unable to because of our change in plans. Next time!

If we ever need to stay in a hotel in San Diego, we will almost certainly come up north and stay here instead. It's that much better than everywhere else in the area.

Room Tip: Second floor just past the business center was where we were (I think it was an even number in the l...
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Our family of 6 recently stayed for 3 nights for a trip to Legoland. Originally I had planned to stay at La Costa in a 2-bedroom suite, but when I looked on Trip Advisor and saw the amazing reviews, we decided to get two adjoining rooms at West Inn. It is the perfect hotel for a family like ours. The breakfast buffet was a great start to the day. It made it very convenient to be able to take the kids down in their PJs to eat when they woke up. There was a great selection of foods for them. The kids loved being able to rent DVDs from the front desk. The lobby pantry was stocked with all of the basic items you might need and even ice cream for a treat. I packed bathing suits based on the reviews and I was shocked to find that even in December the pool was warm enough for us to get in! The kids were so exhausted from the days at Legoland, we ordered room service from Bistro West and the food was really good. We really appreciated being able to use the shuttle service to Legoland. There were even two car seats for our 2 year olds and two booster seats for our 4 and 6 year olds. I didn't feel that we were compromising on quality- the towels are nice and thick, furnishings and bedding are nice. We look forward to staying again!

Room Tip: We had middle rooms just to the west of the lobby/elevators and weren't bothered by train or hig...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Half Moon Bay, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

LOVED this hotel! We were there just before Thanksgiving visiting Legoland and took advantage of the shuttle that drops you off right in front and picks you up there as well. Shuttle drivers were super friendly - and they'll take you anywhere within five miles of the hotel, so shopping, the beach (they'll even provide umbrellas, chairs and sand toys), and restaurants. Also, the shuttle has car seats and boosters so you don't have to mess with that either! Customer service and friendliness of staff is unparalleled.

Hotel was perfect for our needs. There is a slightly separated living space from the bedroom so parents don't have to go to bed at 7:30. Pool and hot tub were great after a day on your feet. Breakfast was more than adequate and the 'library' where you eat is super comfy. As my son and I sat in the hot tub one afternoon he said, "This place is better than Hawaii or something." We've never been to Hawaii but maybe now we don't need to go?

Albuquerque
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

First let me say that I consider myself a detailed reviewer--it takes a lot to impress me and I don't award "Excellent" ratings lightly. The West Inn & Suites earned my admiration in a recent 5-night stay with my family, but you should know a few details (see the bottom of this review) before you go.

We stayed in a very large suite with two king beds and a separate living area with a sofa sleeper. The beds were very comfortable with plenty of pillows of varying thicknesses and no shortage of sheets and blankets. A medium-sized refrigerator (no freezer compartment), microwave, coffee maker, and two flat-screen tv's, work desk, chairs, and two wardrobe closets completed the room. The bathroom had a very large walk-in shower, single sink, and always plenty of towels supplied.

The room was clean and always maintained well by housekeeping during our stay. Upon checkout I did point out to the staff that there was a corner of the shower ceiling showing signs of mildew and they made a note to take care of it. The business room upstairs was well equipped and internet service worked well in our room and in the common areas. The business room, however, was uncomfortably cold at all times.

The breakfast area is large and there is a good variety of both hot and cold items every morning. Coffee is available all day, and the cookies and milk in the evening are a nice amenity. The French toast and pancakes tended to be chewy and tough-perhaps from sitting in the warmer for a while-but I think they could use a better batter and improve this item.

The pool was clean and comfortably warm, as was the hot tub. There is both an upscale steak house and reasonable bistro on the property (presumably run by the same corporation since they also use the name "West") and our dinner at the bistro was excellent. There is an underground parking facility under the hotel with one entrance/exit on the north side, although we discovered this ourselves as it was not mentioned upon check in.

So, the details you should know?
1. The hotel is adjacent to Interstate 5. Our room was in the middle of the hotel on the 2nd floor south side and while the traffic noise was not evident in our room it was quite loud outside in the pool area. Rooms on the east end might suffer more from the traffic noise.

2. The Amtrak/Coaster train track runs on the west side of the hotel (with the nearest station either about a mile north or south at Poinsettia or Carlsbad Village). Again, the train noise was very muted in the room and they are high-speed short trains which pass by in a matter of seconds.

3. While you can walk to the beach in about 3 minutes you may want to drive about the same time north to the Carlsbad beach. There is a power plant located directly west of the hotel (no noise from the plant or smoke from its stack) but the closest walking beach is less attractive than the Carlsbad beach closer to the village.

4. The hotel is ideally located only 2-3 minutes away from Legoland. You can save the $12 parking fee by using the hotel shuttle, however it is only available until 6 pm so plan accordingly.

Saint Louis, Missouri
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

I stayed here with my son in June 2008, we had the best time and 4 years later he STILL talks about how comfortable the beds were and the cookies/milk before bed! He was only 7 years old during our stay, we visited for legoland, the beach and then onto Dana Point for captain dave's dolphin and whale safari. The trip was perfect, the memories are incredible and the hotel was impeccable. Traveled many many times over the past 4 years and have yet to find a hotel that compares to the West Inn & Suites!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Perfect location for visiting Legoland. The hotel provides free shuttles to the resort, has a decent selection of children's movies and board games to loan, and a convenience store that is always open.
Staff is very helpful and rooms are decent. I recommend spending a little extra to get the Double King suite.
Buffet breakfast is included but get there early if you like your eggs and French toast warm.
Pool is heated and Jacuzzi very nice after a day walking around Legoland.
We ordered excellent Pizza from the Bistro next door which was delivered very quickly to our room.
The only complaint: Maintenance may be falling behind a little.Our first room had a hopelessly clogged sink so we were moved to a comparable suite. In the new room a warn shower valve caused the faucet to leak.
Overall a great value and my daughter loved it.

• Stayed November 2012

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!