“Excellent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Carlsbad
San Diego, California
“Excellent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2012

Service was amazing, they absolutely have a great staff! Good size rooms, and the beds are very comfortable. We made sure to get some cookies and milk at night, just for fun!
At the reception desk there was a sign welcoming a guest dog, I loved that! Perfect for a stay if you are visiting Legoland, the Flower Fields or the outlet mall. We chose it for a good night of sleep after a party in Carlsbad, and loved it. We only wish it had an ocean view! The restaurant next door, The West, is amazing... great choice for a nice dinner, and the hotel can arrange your reservations.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Elkhorn, NE
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

Great place, great staff, great location. Very clean and up to date, nice amenities, but still affordable!

Room Tip: King suite with kids on sofa sleeper gives you a little separation after kids are in bed.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

Great hotel....we stayed in a double king room and it was fabulous.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone as the rooms are gorgeous and the saff are lovely.
The 'milk and cookies' at night and a buffet breakfast are included in the room price which made for great value......other hotels could learn a lot from the West Inn and Suites!
Thank you for a great stay!

Room Tip: Pay a little extra and get a suite, it's worth it
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

As a self-retired Flight Attendant, I have stayed at more than my share of hotels in my lifetime. I was very impressed and pleasantly surprised with this hotel. It felt like a luxury hotel but not at a luxury hotel price. Everything was clean, remodeled, chic, and comfortable. I didn't see any indications that this place hadn't been cared for or needed updating.
Pros: LOVED the breakfast buffet with the REAL crispy thin bacon, cooked to perfection and the flour tortillas. Evening Reception with alcoholic drinks was super nice as well as the milk and cookies though cookies tasted store-bought. Still, a nice touch. I peeked around and checked out the business center... with computers, printer, and fax machine. What a thoughtful touch and just LOVED that they were smart enough to provide baby swim diapers at the pool. It's smart and better to be safe than sorry and put guests in jeopardy. Hot tub was the perfect temperature and really loved the ice water infused with orange slices by the pool. Bed was super comfortable, bathroom and tub were generous.
Cons: when I first checked in, the girl was abrupt and had a snotty attitude. I had asked for a quiet room, if possible, away from the train tracks and/or the highway (as I had read the reviews). She replied curtly that all of their rooms are quiet and that the windows are triple paned. She ended up putting us in a room directly over the front door of the property. While I admit that I didn't hear the highway, I did hear the train every time it came by and blew its horn. It didn't bother me terribly but it was quite noticeable so I was irritated by the check-in girl's attitude and comments when I first arrived. If she had been nice about it, I probably wouldn't have been bothered by it.
I did not get a welcome phone call.
Overall though, this hotel has fabulous amenities and thoughtful touches that I can appreciate. I think they've done a great job making up for its location (sandwiched between train tracks and a highway and nothing that you want to walk to) with the amenities and the luxurious feel of the rooms and all the small thoughtful touches. I commend them for a good, overall experience.

San Rafael, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2012

We stayed here as a family of four; we had a double King room. The room was super clean including the bathroom. The room was very modern, very comfortable bed and bedding. Small but efficient kitchenette with coffee maker, refrigerator and sink. I received an email in advance of our arrival which was such a great introduction to the great service we would soon encounter. The shuttle is a mini van and they provide appropriate child seats so we didn't have to take ours out of our car. The pool is saline and they provide pool toys and even have swim diapers for the little ones. The afternoon "adult pour" was a very generous glass of red or white wine in appropriate, beautiful stemware. The milk and cookies was a big hit too and they have lots of toys for young children to play with. The breakfast was fantastic - fresh strawberries, eggs, bacon, pancakes, yogurt, cereal, bagels, oatmeal, juices, coffee/tea. The service really was so great -- we were sad to leave! They even accept AAA and gave us a good discount on our room rate.

Room Tip: The service at Bistro West was not good at all.. disappointing considering how great the hotel servi...
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed at the West Inn while we went to LegoLand with two adults and a toddler. It was just an amazing stay. We had the king suite which was a perfect size. They provided a crib which was a real crib and not just a pack-n-play, which was lovely. The rooms are just spotless with great amenities like Aveda bath products and your own robe.

The pool and spa are great. Parents take note -- the hotel provides swim diapers! A nice little touch. The pool is heated and the hot tub isn't too hot. I also used the gym one morning and they have a very nice treadmill. A restaurant was next to the hotel and was so kid and family friend (though at first blush didn't quite appear that way). I wish I could remember our servers name as she was so sweet and accommodating with our little boy who couldn't quite sit still after a long drive.

And I should also mention the bed. It may have been the most comfortable bed I've ever stayed in.

Overall just a lovely hotel. One of those places where you want to just stay and hang out it is so nice.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Tacoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We enjoyed our three night stay during spring break. Staff is very friendly and provides shuttle service to Legoland, village/beach area, and Carlsbad airport along with area tips/info. Lots of nice little details like iced lemon water by the pool, free DVDs to borrow, and cookies and milk at bedtime. The kids loved it. We look forward to coming back some time!

Room Tip: Might want to ask for a room on the other side of the hotel from the train tracks -- it's noisy.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!