“Great boutique hotel with excellent staff. A winner!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Spring Fling Discount
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Santa Barbara, California
“Great boutique hotel with excellent staff. A winner!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2012

West Inn is a boutique hotel catering to families with a very convenient location and a first-class staff with a "Yes We Can" approach. Our room was quite nice with a very comfortable bed and sitting room/sleeper sofa. What I liked best were the inclusive amenities - breakfast, wi-fi, shuttle service and movies/games. If you are seeking a large hotel with all the amenities, this is not for you. We even left our pillow there when we checked out and, after calling to see if they found it, the front desk offered to FedEx it to us that day. I would definitely recommend the hotel and we will plan to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Yuma, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a restful night at the West Inn and Suites. We came in from Yuma and decided to drive up the 101, which after you get started on it, it's actually very nostalgic and pretty in parts...anyway....I had gotten an e-mail earlier in the week asking if there was anything that they could do for me. I didn't think about it at first, but then I asked if they could give us a room with a bit of a view because my husband and I were tying my birthday with our anniversary this weekend.

They not only upgraded us to a King Suite but also there was a bottle of wine in the room with BALLOONS! It was sweet. They asked if I wanted champagne or wine but I knew nothing about the balloons. Also, I had gotten a gift card when I booked the room and it was not only waiting for us but they made sure we had a reservation for the Bistro (which was a wonderful place to eat. They had oysters Saturday night, and they chef prepared them wonderfully!!!!)

We were extremely well taken care of at the West Inn & Suites. You are right next to the Interstate, but you cannot hear a thing. You can hardly hear the water run from another room. Beautiful bed....so comfy and I LOVED THE PILLOWS!! I will tell you that they have their own gas station which is helpful if you wanna gas up and go....the price is competitive not blown away.

You are not far from the beach, hop skip and a jump really. We didn't go to the pool, but from our room we saw people (with kids mostly) out there. Our Yuman blood kept us from even attempting the pool but it looks very nice.

It seems that they have every detail covered. If you forgot something for the beach, they have it. If you want those cookies and milk at 8pm, they are there. There is valet for the two eating establishments. The Bistro has a brunch on Sunday morning starting at 10am. The shower is terrific beyond words, and this is coming from a woman who has a water conserving shower (and NOT by choice). All of you normal hotel needs are in the room....even down to the black towel specifically marked in the most adorable way "makeup". Love that....you know how much fun it is getting make up out of white anything!!

I will suggest you go over your bill when you leave, I do our of habit anyway. We had an extra charge for our Bistro gift card, but it was just a "glitch" the system encounters when you pre-order a gift card. It was taken care of immediately and they would e-mail me the corrected and adjusted reciept.

Now I have to say, my husband is a self described "Motel 6, Holiday Inn Express" kinda guy but he was just overwhelmed by the comfort. He is a meat and taters man, but found it rather comfy in the Bistro. Our waitress Stefanie was terrific and very lively, which always wins points in my hubby's book.

Will we stay here again??? heck yea......Would I reccomend it??? heck yea....fair warning the last weekend in March is the Carlsbad 5000, so unless you are booked already, I don't think there's space. I understand this event is very large!!

Room Tip: We were in room 317 at the end of the hall, closest to the interstate and heard NOTHING. Beautiful...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Santa Fe
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Our family had a great 3 night stay. We did not have a car and the West Inn staff was kind enough to pick us up at the Carlsbad Airport and drop us off at the end of our stay at the Oceanside Train Station. We utilized the shuttle to Legoland on all 3 days and they were always on time (and properly equiped with booster seats). The breakfast was great and we had two outstanding meals at the adjacent Bistro West restaurant. If you want an even more upscale restaurant there is a steakhouse right on the same property. The rooms are very clean and the beds are comfortable. Yes, we all enjoyed the cookies and milk in the evening, the heated pool, and the happy hour for adults at 6 p.m. The West Inn staff is outstanding. Unless you insist on being on the beach, this is the place to stay (even with a little noise from adjacent train track).

Room Tip: We enjoyed the room with two king sized beds but if you need more space you may want a suite.
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We just returned from a week long vacation to Palm Desert and the San Diego area. The West Inn was both our least expensive hotel and our favourite. We arrived straight from the Westin Rancho Mirage (impersonal, dingy, expensive and full of "surprise" hidden fees). The West Inn, on the other hand, was awesome. Far superior to the pricey Westin. I loved all the little included extras. The shuttles, the 'social pour' where my husband had his daily Guinness, the puzzles and movies you can borrow for your kids, the cookies at bedtime, the black "make up" towel in the rooms (I always feel guilty using a white one!), the easy Wi-Fi, the swim floats at the pool, the water stations, coffee stations, beautiful bedding. Most of all, I loved the women who work and clean there…so lovely, so genteel, so friendly to my Lego-crazed, sugar-adled children. I would stay there again in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it to all my friends.

Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

Rooms are nice & clean. Fridge in room is very convient. My kids loved the heated pool & free cookies at night. The breakfast was a great selection for whole family. Big sitting area where families meet & kids find other kids to hang out with.

Note, other than breakfast & snack there is no other food service in hotel, But restaurants next door. We got take out from close by & eat in our room.

Staff is wonderful & always smiling. Even the asst mgr dog was very friendly with the kids. Great place & would recommend it to anyone with kids.

Room Tip: You may want to spring tor the suite if you want extra space for the kids. Not a lot of extra space...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Longmont, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2012

This hotel is wonderfull for families with children. We just came back from a vacation with our two children (9yrs and 12 yrs) to california and stayed two nights in this hotel. We wish we had stayed more. The hotel itself if beautifully decorated in oth the main hotel and the rooms with spacious beds (king) and wonderfull little extras everywhere. When you arrive a freee bottle of lemonade and water bottles are placed in your in room fridge, the room is immaculate and modern with a walk in shower ( this was so nice with the kids after a day at the beach) so easy to rinse off the sand and felt so spacious! My husbadn loved the extra long pillows on the beds. But the reall charm ofthis hotel is the service and staff who make you feel welcome with your family from the first moment. The hotel has a shutle to scoot families to legoland, beaches or downtown for excellent food. The main parto fhte hotel has a livrary area with tables more suited to bigger families (the kind with teh bench seats) and prenty of seating for breakfast etc. The pool was nice with a spacious pool deck and was very family friendly . What I love most was the family atmosphere in the hotel. During our stay our kids played with many other falimies staying there . The only area of improvement could be the qaulity of hte food at the breakfast buffett (which is included with your stay). If was okay but not exceptional . This hotel was so much more than we expected with so many free extras, cookies and mlk to!!!

Room Tip: Rooms on the west side are wonderfull
Temecula, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

If you like hotels that pay attention to detail, and offer complimentary everything with exceptional service, I'd recommend this place! Complimentary parking, DVD rentals, cookies and milk in the evening, and buffet breakfast (not incredibly tasty, but the selection was excellent and it was very satisfactory). The staff were very friendly and helpful, the room was very clean, quiet, and well-appointed (included a fridge and microwave). The bed was amazingly comfortable, and the TV was large enough to enjoy watching a (complimentary) movie on. We didn't try walking to the beach (they have all kinds of beach equipment you can rent from the hotel, too. Not sure if it was free or not, but a good selection of anything you could need!), but it was about 2 blocks away, so probably very doable. No ocean view from our king suite, and when we requested one they didn't have any rooms available with the ocean view (be prepared for a possible view of the freeway. But you won't hear it at all!). Was very impressed overall with everything the hotel offered, and how helpful and friendly ALL of the staff were. We would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!