“home away from home” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 34 Hotels in Carlsbad
Livonia, Michigan, United States
“home away from home”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

if you have not been there, you must stay at the west inn & suites in carlsbad. it is conveniently located to the beach as well as much shopping.
carlsbad is also known for legoland - so you will be sure to see families as well as military at west inn & suites.
they have two of the best restaurants on premise, the west steak house and bistro west for the more casual diner.
this place is business, couples, family, friends and solo family. everyone is treated like family here. i feel like a sister or niece or cousin to the staff. i'm officially adopted myself into the west family. will call them uncle & auntie west. when i am there, i get to see all my cousins and siblings.
the management at west inn is top notch. the elegant and energetic kimberly akers and kristine bane, two of the loveliest smiles and sincerest hosts and management you will ever meet!
my partner and i would travel there two to three times a year (sometimes more - if we could manage it) and we ALWAYS stayed at the west inn & suites.
i am not residing in detroit land and not traveling as much, but recently connected with the west inn staff and wanted to send a review of love and appreciation for this establishment. missing them and the weather in carlsbad dearly!
craving the kobe meatloaf or the steak salad or just about anything on their menu.
cheers and salut to WEST INN!
looking forward to seeing you in the new year 2012.
xiang cclc (sunny)

Room Tip: make sure to define if you want to be secluded from multiple children or parties. they will accomod...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Chester, VA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel over Christmas while visiting our daughter stationed in San Diego! This was the most wonderful experience. I have nothing bad to say, the customer service, breakfast, accommodations was all top notch! We came from the east coast and the staff made us feel like family. I even had a birthday while I was there Matt and Stephanie helped make it extra special! Thanks again for a wonderful experience West inn and suites, my only regret is that your hotel was completely booked and we could not stay there for our entire stay!

• Stayed December 2011
Vero Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

We were extremely pleased with this hotel. The rooms were excellent...and even had a small sink, fridge and microwave. Their location in Carlsbad is right off of hwy 5 and minutes from a lovely outlet mall and restaurants. The only thing negative was their breakfast buffet. None of the hot items such as eggs, bacon/sausage, pancakes, etc. were not...everything luke warm. However, there was enough choice of cold items. Staff was extremely courteous. We wouldn't hesitate to stop there again.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2011

I have been staying at this hotel for many years now, and I still would not stay anywhere else when I'm traveling in the area. Once again, my stay was fantastic with a few changes from past years.

Front Desk - The people at the front desk were very nice as usual, but for the first time there was a problem with my reservation. They sent me to a regular room when I always am slated in for the King Bed Suite. After seeing the wrong room, went back to the front desk and they moved me to the suite. Luckily there was a vacancy, if there was not, I would have left (or just stayed one night) and found another suite hotel in the area. When I am traveling alone, 3,000 miles away from home, I will go stir crazy in a small regular room.

Bed - Very comfortable (love those pillows) and got a better sleep there then at home. Sleep is so important when traveling and the pillows and mattress are the best in any hotel I ever been at.

Bathroom - Although an odd location in the middle of the room, it is big, clean, and contains everything you need. Hot water may take a little while to get going, but when it does it is fine.

Housekeeping - Since I am there for a week at a time, due to my hours I will eat meals at all sorts of strange times. Housekeeping cleans everything up immediately and even cleans and organizes my contact lens station and bathroom station (comb, brush, toothpaste, etc.). I always tip them well when I leave.

Room - Very spacious and there is a separate sitting area but some may confuse that as "separate room". It is not a separate room with doors to close. Depending on the room, you can still sit in the living area and desk and not see the bedroom at all, but it is open meaning there is no door. If you have kids sleeping in the bed area, you still have to be quiet in the sitting room. Two flat screen TV's and many channels are more than enough. Fridge is great, it is actually a real fridge and not a "cool box" that some other places advertise incorrectly as a fridge. Microwave and sink also included there. A sitting bench outside the bathroom to lay our your clothes or tie your shoes, along with a full length mirror. A/C still the best ever. I set it to 65 (sometimes 60) and sleep peacefully in a deep freeze. My family has called me a penguin for needing such cold temps. If you want to keep the same temp, just put a little note next to it telling housekeeping not to touch. Otherwise they will turn it down and you will return to a hot room.

Location - Right near the freeway, close to Legoland, blocks from the beach, which is great to walk at night and not much traffic in the area. There are restaurants connected but I have only been in them once and it was for happy hour. Since I work 10 minutes away and do not return until late, I usually eat dinner where I have to be for work. Plenty of parking. Not sure why people care about the train tracks. In all the years I have been staying there, I have never seen a train nor heard one at night.

Other Items - Now I read the negative comments and I think some people are just crazy and have unrealistic expectations about everything. Kim has done a wonderful job at this hotel and I always get a nice letter in the mail from her when I get home. A few things: First, for some reason I did not get turndown service my last time there. I miss the turndown service and miss not getting my chocolates on the pillow each night. Second, I miss my newspaper. Last time I was there I never got the newspaper in front of my door on any day. Figured they may have stopped the service. Third, in each review and every written evaluation I put the same thing...PLEASE add automatic checkout from the TV. I would like to get my receipt slipped under my door the early morning I have to check out and I would like to use the TV to check out so I can get in the car and get to the airport. The TV has 1,000 channels, movies, and games, do not understand why video checkout cannot be added. It is a hassle to go down to the front desk and get a printout and wait. If you get a couple of people in front of you, it causes for tense moments when on a plane schedule.

Room Tip: Get a suite.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Ventura, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

I visited this hotel with 2 friends to celebrate one of them turning 40. I let the hotel know that we were celebrating a birthday, and they put a complimentary bottle of champagne in the room with a nice card. We had many questions for the front desk, and Corey helped us with directions and suggestions of where we should go. The hotel smelled good and was decorated really nice for Christmas. This was my second time staying here, and as before, I loved it. It has a great breakfast and a friendly, homey atmosphere. I will definitely go back!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

One of the nicest family hotels we've ever stayed at. Staff was more than helpful. Breakfast was excellent and short drive to legoland. Also playground a few blocks away toward beach was great

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

We were really looking forward to this hotel. It had great reviews, and the front desk staff was helpful and friendly even before check-in. Because we have 3 young children, we were specifically looking for a suite. Not an "executive suite" or a "studio suite." We were looking for two rooms. And on the website, the King Suite is described as having "Separate family room with full size sofa bed...." Well, I'm not sure what they mean by "separate", but it's not what I consider a separate room. The suites are essentially oversized hotel rooms. When my husband went back to talk to the woman at the front desk, he was told that our options were to instead pay more (almost twice as much) for two adjoining rooms or we could check-out. We had just driven through 3 hours of Thanksgiving traffic and the kids were set on going to Legoland, so we didn't check out, but we shortened our stay, after spending the first night looking for other hotels in the area that we could move to

Other than that issue (which was a big issue, imo), the staff are friendly, the rooms are clean and have nice touches like Aveda toiletries. They have toys, games, and dvd's for kids available. The pool area is nice and was heated so that we could go swimming even in November. The location is not so great. It's nice that they are close to Legoland (and the courtesy shuttle even has carseats), but it's right next to the 405, train tracks, and some kind of power plant.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!