“good value, great staff” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Endless Summer
Ranked #2 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Rancho Santa Margarita, California
“good value, great staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

This was our third visit to the West Inn and Suites and it didn't disappoint. The accomodations are excellent, the location convenient, and the breakfast quite nice. The best part, though, is that the staff seems to genuinely enjoy serving you. Even the kitchen staff greets you with a smile and a warm "good morning." Everyone is helpful and work hard to make your stay pleasant. If it had a better view it would have everything you could ask for. They do allow pets but I think the charge for those is rather steep.

742 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
az
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

What a GREAT hotel!!

Extremely friendly & helpful staff. Extremely well appointed large King suite with comfortable bed & linens, sofa, 2 led TV's, microwave, refrigerator/freezer. Not a chain hotel--all conveniences and features have been selected with the traveler's comfort in mind and it shows in the exceptional comfort level provided. All-in-all, one of the most exceptionally well appointed and comfortable hotels I have ever stayed in. {Many other 4-5 star chain hotels I have stayed in need and should use this hotel as an example on how to please a guest}

Had dinner at the Bistro West [in-house restaurant-gourmet style menu]--food service, quality & portion excellent with fair and reasonable pricing.

When returning to this area again, this would be my only hotel of choice.

Room Tip: Hotel provides pet friendly rooms on the first floor only.
Bend, Oregon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2011

OK - Just back from a weeks vacation in the San Diego area taking the kiddos to the beach, Legoland and SeaWorld. Let me start by saying this hotel was awesome. We had a king suite and it was plenty big for our family of 4 (2 boys 6&8). This place was ultra clean and comfortable, kids loved the board games in the Family Room (as they called it) and the nightly cookies and milk in the lobby. They couldn't wait for 8pm to run down to the lobby in their jammies to get some cookies! We loved the complimentary beer/wine "Happy Hour" from 5-6pm weekdays. The complementary shuttle and full breakfast was a nice touch as well. We paid $179/night, which I thought was a little steep, but when you add in breakfast for 4 and shuttle, you're saving around $50/day in food and parking = $129/night very fair.
Let me chime in about some of the comments on the location. Yes, its wedged in between train tracks and the freeway and across from a power plant - not ideal. However, the pool area and hot tub were nice and even had a waterfall you could turn on (like hot tub jets) to drown out the freeway noise. Once inside the hotel you couldn't hear a thing. Walking to the beach is an option (.4 miles) on the odometer, but why would you lug your stuff down the street, past a power plant when you can just take the shuttle? Which we did.
Not only did they take us to the beach, they provided us with beach towels, beach chairs, boogie boards for the kids and even stopped by Albertsons so we could grab some bevies. Over. the. top. awesome service! BTW - the beach is nice but we had crappy weather.
In short - the location isn't great but you are 1.5 miles from Legoland and the staff goes all out to do whatever it takes to make your stay as worry free as possible. BTW, if you are looking at Carlsbad by the Sea because you saw a sweet deal online, its probably because that place looks like a hole. We went to TGIFridays there and the place looked pretty scary and smelled like a nursing home - sorry I'm giving it to you straight here.
Want more straight talk? I read reviews that said LegoLand is perfect for kids 9 and under. I absolutely disagree. Don't get me wrong - the place is worth seeing, its pretty cool, but I'd give it a 6 and under rating. 85% of rides are like being stuck in "a bugs life" at Disneyland. This park is definitely for little kids!! your 8-12 year old kids will be bored silly. Another note: We got the 3 day pass from Costco that included waterpark tix $99. Good deal, but too much. Going mid week/off season, we went through the whole park in 4 hours and rode almost every ride. On Saturday the park filled up quick and people were waiting 30-45 min for a one minute kiddie ride - not worth your time. The Waterpark was cool, but it was 60 degrees and misty/windy when we were there so it was tough to enjoy - the kids didn't care and had a blast! On Friday we went down to SeaWorld. I've been there several times and every time I leave thinking that place is awesome. Do yourself and family a favor and GO TO SEAWORLD!! Bring some ponchos or spend $8 on a SeaWorld one and sit in the front row middle for Shamu and the Dolphins. It will be something your kids will never forget!! On the way back to the West Inn and Suites we stopped in Old Town San Diego and had dinner at the Mexican Cafe. ONE OF THE BEST MEALS EVER!! Old mexican ladies making tortillas fresh in the front window.....AWESOME! Plus Old Town is just a cool town to walk around.
All in all The West Inn was a great "home" to come back to every night. I wouldn't mind staying in Carlsbad Village next time on the beach, but I think we'd be hard pressed to beat the comforts and service at the West.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I have been staying at this hotel for 6 years since it opened and you can't tell that its been open that long. Everything is still in pristine condition, may be some of the newer staff aren't quite as customer connected as the old ones but otherwise no complaints. Great accommodation in a very relaxing environment.

Room Tip: All are good!
St Charles, MO
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2011

This is without a doubt the best hotel I've ever stayed at. We stayed 4 nights and it was perfect. The rooms are huge! 2 flat screen tv's and plenty of space. The shuttle (mini-van) took us to the Legoland entrance (and the aquarium at Legoland on a separate day). They were so friendly and accomodating. We asked for beach towels, they gave us sand toys and beach chairs too! The hotel is very close to the ocean. The pool was great, warm and big and we used the hot tub too. The rooms were beautiful. Spacious and so very clean. The bedding was like sleeping in a cloud. We slept like babies. We took advantage of the free hot breakfast every morning - it was delicious. The staff was right there to clear away the dishes and restock the food. The cookies and milk were such a special treat for my kids each night before bed. We went down every night. This hotel is very well made. We couldn't hear the other guests at all. I couldn't even hear the toilet flush in our own room with the bathroom door shut! The kitchenette provided us with a microwave, coffee maker, fridge and plenty of counter space. The front desk staff was so friendly and the shuttle driver made us feel warm and appreciated. There were complimentary bottles of water and plush bathrobes to use. The area is great too, we ate at a local pizza joint and enjoyed shopping at the outlets and some yummy ice cream close by. We drove down to Sea World - it wasn't a bad trip from the West Inn. I can't say enough great things about this hotel. It was better than home and we will definitely return.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

We were heading to Legoland and had a wedding and some other family events in the area. West Inn came up on a search of the area, so we booked it. We also had my mother, who is disabled, in tow.
First: the rooms and the whole hotel were spotless. Super clean and very well appointed. Very current. Our room (my husband, son & I) had a pull out couch that was in a separate area so that we could put my son to sleep and still have the TV on--it had 2 tvs. The shower was huge. There were laundry facilities right in the building that were very clean and new.
For my mother, they brought in a shower chair and mats and made her feel very comfortable. After she had required some assistance, they left chocolate covered strawberries for her later. So sweet! They have cookies & milk in the lobby in the evening and coffee and muffins there in the morning.
They have a breakfast bar. It has all the greatest hits--oatmeal, yogurt, cereal, eggs and a variety of toasts and pastries. Coffee, tea & juice. Perfect for a family who is heading out for the day. Again, very clean, well done. My mother thought it was amazing. I wouldn't go that far, but didn't feel like we needed to go elsewhere.
There are 2 restaurants on the property, which we didn't use, but they looked nice and I heard good things from people about them.
The one tiny little thing is that it is right off the freeway. Right off. We didn't hear it from our room, but this is definitely not a luxury resort. It's a hotel you stay in when you have other things you are doing. I liked that it was easy for us to get on and off and where we need to go.
The other side of that is that it's about 3 blocks from the beach. So, you could walk over there.
Last on my list of details: They sell discount Legoland tickets at the front desk (I didn't ask about SeaWorld or the Zoo, but probably) and they have a shuttle over to Legoland. A van that heads over--looked like they had car seats installed in it. Saves you the $12 for parking.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011 via mobile

I read the reviews...first time writing one. Just had to! The West Inn is our new favorite. Perfect for our gang...kids 12, 8, 3. Family friendly with all the little luxuries to make mom & dad happy too! Loved the room size, the linens, the cleanliness!!! Conveniently located by freeway (don't worry can't hear the traffic - windows are ultra thick) don't let the nearby power plant bother you...the staff, from the front desk to housekeeping will make you so glad you came. They even delivered balloons for my son's birthday!! Amazing. Shuttle to/from Legoland with hotel carseats at the ready, cookies & milk every night plus the complimentary adult happy hour seals the deal! We will surely be back! Thank you West Inn!!

• Stayed October 2011

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!