“The one hotel you need to stay at in Carlsbad” 5 of 5 stars

West Inn & Suites Carlsbad
4970 Avenida Encinas, Carlsbad, CA 92008   |
Ranked #2 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
San Francisco, California
“The one hotel you need to stay at in Carlsbad”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2011

The West Inn & Suites Hotel is outstanding. It is a beautiful hotel with great service. The rooms had king size beds and luxurious bedding and towels. In our room there was a huge walk in shower. There was upscale coffee machine, microwave, refrigerator and little sink. They also had a laundry room and business center. Their pool was another great feature. They use salt water and likely don't have to add as much chlorine which was great for my sensitive eyes. The pool was warm which was another bonus. The hot tub was clean and the surroundings were relaxing . And best of all, they were the only hotel out of seven that I called that would take my dog without weight restrictions. They even had a nice welcoming signs for him with biscuits. There even is a nice dog run with bags provided. The free buffet breakfast was delicious with a wide variety of choices. There were lots of children at the hotel probably due to the presence of Legoland and there were games for them in the library. They also have a nice shuttle service to the outlets and Legoland which made it nice for members of my party who didn't have a car. I come to Carlsbad every year and stayed at other hotels but now that I have found West Inn & Suites I plan to stay there. Their prices are even comparable to the other hotels in the area which are less nice and offer less services.

705 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (121)
calgary
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

we only spent a couple of nights here, but it was all it was cracked up to be. the facility itself is beautiful. the room was spacious and well appointed. the grill next door was good value, but busy. wireless internet was good for hotel standards. the milk and cookies are as good as advertised. we found the staff super helpful. the girls liked the pool. the location is very good for doing both stuff in San Diego (zoo and seaworld etc.) as well as the california beach town stuff in Carlsbad. By the way - don't waste your money on SeaWorld.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Alhambra, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

West Inn is a great place for the family to enjoy on a little get away. We are locals from Los Angeles and stayed here for the convinience of the shuttle to Legoland. They drop you off and pick you up, they are just a phone call away. This hotel is very close to the beach and to the carlsbad outlets. This place is also very close to a good selection of restaurants. West Inn was very popular with the kids, about 8 o'clock they serve fresh baked cookies with milk and coffe is available for the grown ups. Breakfast time, they do have a decent choice to get you buy until Lunch time comes around. Thats if you aren't into anything fancy and want something on the go, before heading out to the beach or Legoland and don't want to waste anytime going to a restaurant. Loved that convienience.. and speaking of which, they have a "pantary" that carry snacks or that one item you just forgot to pack. Have a headache at the middle of the night or an indigestion just walk on down to their "pantry" and whala! That makes is so easy without having to drive around and look for a convinience store. They also took very good care of us when my son had and accident. We mentioned to the front desk the inconvinience of staying in our room and without hesitation they moved us to another room. it could of been they also had availabilities. Needless to say, the facilities of West Inn are amazing. I am sure I am forgetting many other wonderful things about them, but I couldn't be happier in staying here. But one last thing, your pets are very much welcomed! Love them!

Room Tip: all the rooms are great!
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
wavehunterz
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

Love, Love, Love this hotel and their staff. For the price, location and accommodations it can't be beat. We've been visiting the hotel for the last year and a half. Usually one or two night getaways. The rooms are spacious and modern, very clean. The only downside is the location, which is right off the highway, but you don't hear the noise. Even by the pool are, which is very nice, they have a waterfall feature to drown out some of the car noise. The best thing though is the staff. They are hands down the friendliest, most helpful bunch I've come across. It really has the feel of an upscale hotel, without any pretentiousness.

Room Tip: Suites are great for families, they have tubs
Oceanside, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

My husband and I planned this trip as a getaway but just before the date arrived we had to make some changes and our son came with us. This was a staycation for us. The Hotel agreed to upgrade us and provide us with a rollaway for an extra $20 since we had originally booked a King room and it didn't hold a rollaway and there were no two bedded rooms available. When we arrived I was pleasantly surprised with the decor and the staff at the front desk. I have a tendency to find something wrong with almost every place and so far I was impressed. We didn't go to our room we just got our keys and headed out to an approintment. We arrived back at the hotel around 9:30 pm and what a shock, the room was all set up and the furnishings were beautiful. They had a rock on the bed, which you could use to let the staff know that you needed new linens and a shell that you hang on your door to say you didn't want to be disturbed. Extra towels and linens were left in front of your door in a tasteful basket and while riding down the elevator with one of the staff she asked us if we were enjoying our stay. I was even more impressed! The front desk asked at check in if we wanted a large shower or a tub and we elected to have the large shower and we are so happy that we did. It was enormous and so beautiful! There were extra towels in the bath and they were plush! So far, I was in heaven! The next day my son and I were on our own and we spent the morning our breakfast that was included. What a spread! Pancakes, eggs, bacon, oatmeal, fruit, juices (including Passion/orange/guava, my favorite), coffee, and tea! It was so good! The next morning had a slightly different selection just to keep it interesting. Then we went to the pool which is a very nice size and has an adjacent enormous jacuzzi. This is surrounded by a rock wall that although next to the freeway, allows you to imagine that you are in a tropical paradise. Each lounge chair had a fresh towel just waiting for you to emerge from the pool.

The hotel is just a block or two from the beach so you can walk or drive to your favorite spot, which is what we did for lunch. In the evening you have your choice of eating at their steakhouse or the bistro is open for lunch and dinner. After dinner the hotel graciously satisfies your sweet tooth with freshly made chocolate chip cookies and ice cold milk.

I really couldn't have asked for more. I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a flawless vacation or staycation!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Henderson, Col
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2011

My family stayed at the West Inn May of 2011. What a treat! Upon arrival the grounds where beautiful and checking in was a snap. I did notice the scent in the lobby was a little heavy and did give me a bit of a headache but could not smell it in my room. Our room was immaculate and the double king accomadations are a god send. The shuttle service to Legoland was great they provide car seats and boosters make sure to make your reservations because it does fill up fast. Loved the milk and cookies my son is allergic to milk and they gave him soy milk enough to last our entire stay. I never let housekeeping in our room after a bad experience at another hotel. We put the DND sign on the door when we left upon returning there was a basket full of essential left outside the door. Breakfast was good made mornings easy. The pool is a little small but makes up for it by keeping it consistently warm. I did think the location was a little out of place next to a power plant and train tracks but didn't give it much thought it was never botthersome. Never noticed they didn't have a bar. West Bistro is about a 30 second walk and has a lounge and patio. Seems pretentious but was very family friendly. Awesome staff! Always helpful and the shuttle driver was very friendly and knowledgeable about the area which was nice.

The only downside to our stay was the girls softball team that was staying there. I think the staff could have been more aggresive about enforcing rules. They let the parents congegrate in the common areas and the children treated the hotel like their personal playground. A fight erupted when our neighbor asked the girls to stop running in the hall. Should have never came to another guest having to step in.

After we left we received a call informing us that my sons favorite stuffed animal had been left behind and if we would like it mailed to us. We were still in the area and went back to get it. What a life saver!!!

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2011

Having spent a month in this hotel so far this year I think I am well placed to comment on the quality of this establishment. It isn't five star luxury but it is a very well appointed hotel with a really comfortable homely feel, the staff are always happy and welcoming, nothing is too much trouble. The adjoining restaurants are both excellent but the steak house id first class. Location is great next to I5 close to the beach and other attractions in Carlsbad. Will I go back again, most certainly.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business

Been to West Inn & Suites Carlsbad? Share your experiences!