“Halloween family fun” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
San Jose, California
“Halloween family fun”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Ok so I rarely if ever write reviews on the places I stay at but I must say how much I loved this place. My kids are big lego fans so I wanted their first Legoland experience and mine to be exceptional. We went during October so we can do the brick or treat. Pretty much from the moment we got to the hotel my kids had a blast. The only comments I could make so that's people are aware of is during the morning time the buffet area is crazy and the line is long but goes fairly quickly. The pool during October was only slightly heated but we had fun as well. The lifeguards are a little whistle happy and they have a strick policy on using there floaties. The night time events are great! My kids had fun participating in the lego challenge. I feel they should allow the kids to be separated by age ranges because both nights that we were there the big kids won the prize. But all in all we had so much fun we are going back again in October 14,2015. Maybe I can get a discounted hotel rate since I'm a returnee. No harm in trying. Oh and the treasure hunt was great for the kids!!!

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Orange County, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We decided to book a room here to surprise our daughter for her 5th Birthday. The hotel in concept is great, there are a lot of activities for the kids to participate in and the rooms were great. We liked the idea of a standard room having a kids area separate from the adults area. We have never seen that in our travels before aside from a suite.

The rooms were relatively clean with the exception of the Legos. I would have assumed they would clean or disinfect them, but that wasn’t the case as they were still put together from the last guest that was there so our children weren’t allowed to play with them and that caused an issue for them.

After a long day at the park we had the buffet and it was a good value for the money with the 20% pass holders discount. After dinner (8 pm) we got our kids ready to go swimming. My daughter is 5 and is a great swimmer and our son just learned to walk and cannot swim so we brought a flotation device that he can sit in and it keeps him upright and he can walk around the pool in. I was told immediately that we could not use my son’s floatation device and he would need a life jacket. I explained to the lifeguard that I didn’t want my child in a life jacket as he could potentially tip over and end up face down with it. Their response? “Company policy”. So needless to say my son didn’t get to swim as I couldn’t play with both children without his floatation device. Now let’s get to my daughter’s experience… She was swimming from one side of the pool and at one point she stopped for a moment to catch her breath and held on to the rope and the lifeguard yelled at her to stay off the ropes (Mind you she was the only person in the pool). Having had enough we went to leave and went to get towels and there weren’t any. We had to wait 10 min to get towels to leave. Once we got back up in the room my daughter asked me what “Bad Assed” meant. I said, what? Where did you hear that. She said she heard it from the lifeguards when they were talking.

Clearly they have some issues they need to work out. Also, I am not sure why lifeguards would be using that kind of language with children present or why I can’t use a floatation device in the pool to ensure my 1 year old doesn’t end up face down in the pool. Mind you I have used that in every imaginable hotel / resort for him and my daughter when she was little (Sheraton, Westin, Marriott, St. Regis, W, all DisneyWorld resorts, Aulani, Disney’s Grand California, etc…). Needless to say next time I make it down you will find me at the Sheraton where my kids can enjoy themselves in a safe environment.

• Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Matthew C, Guest Relations Manager at LEGOLAND California Hotel, responded to this review, 3 days ago
Dear greggfi,

Thank you so much for your recent stay here at the LEGOLAND California Resort Hotel and thank you for allowing us the opportunity to help celebrate your daughter's 5th birthday! Your feedback is valued and we truly appreciate you taking the time to provide us with comments regarding your stay. Please allow me to apologize for the negative experience you had at our pool during your stay. The level of customer service you received at the pool was not to the standard we uphold at this resort and I sincerely apologize. The rules and regulations should have been expressed in a less aggressive way and I apologize for the way it was explained to you. Our lifeguards are trained to promote a fun and safe environment for all of our guests and with that come regulations on the type of floatation devices allowed in the pool. We currently allow floatation devices that are approved by the U.S. Coast Guard (USCG) as the safety of such devices have been guaranteed. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused, however we do stand firm on our safety restrictions. We will be conducting re-training for the lifeguards you encountered during your stay as customer service and safety are our top priorities. Please know we truly appreciate all feedback we receive from our guests as we are always making changes to improve our guest experience.

I am saddened to hear that this experience has affected your view of the LEGOLAND Resort and we truly hope that you will reconsider a future visit with us!

Respectfully,

Matthew C
Aspen, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

This hotel is crazy fun for kids. The lobby is complete chaos, the elevator is a dance party, the halls are full of running children. Wow. Fun aside, it is pretty much a Motel 6 with a theme. The beds are okay, the bunks are kid size, the bedding is cheap, the pool is lame but quiet. The food is great, the proximity to the park is perfect and the staff is friendly.

Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Shawna F, Guest Relations Manager at LEGOLAND California Hotel, responded to this review, 1 week ago
Dear Kerry G,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience!
Our hotel was definitely made with the children in mind and I am glad that you and your family seemed to enjoy this! Although you mentioned the fun you had, there was a sense of unsatisfactory in your review regarding the amenities we offer. For this I apologize, and know that we are always striving to improve our resort. At this time we are addressing our bedding to ensure the quality is nothing but exceptional.

Its reviews and feedback like yours that help us realize what our guests are enjoying and what they’re not. Thank you again, and we hope that you will visit us soon!

Best,
Shawna F
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

What a fabulous hotel for families!!! This hotel is all about the kids (including the big kids)...there is Lego for the kids to occupy them during checkin...evening entertainment (we had a kids pj party while we were there)...Bricks restaurant offers great food choices at good value for money (breakfast was included in our accommodation rate)....the rooms are fantastic with the kids having their own room & tv...the attention to detail in the decorating is amazing....we couldn't get enough of riding in the elevator, you need to experience it to believe it....our room overlooked the pool which is heated in the winter....access to Legoland is just outside the door....the hotel is located in Carlsbad which is only about 1 hour south of Anaheim and 40mins North of San Diego, with the drive being easy on the I5....

Room Tip: The hotel is only 3 storeys high with the Adventure rooms being on level 3...
  • Stayed January 2015, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Our son's world is Lego so visiting here was never not an option. Given he had just spent 4 days at Disneyland and then we finished at Legoland, I can understand his tiredness but we still had a great time. It's much smaller and low key which was lovely. Lots of rides for smaller children which was great. Not very long queues on the day we went made it more enjoyable as well. The Technic roller coaster, the miniature lego exhibition and the Chima Movie were the standouts. We had expected the gift shop to have more of a lego range but we're disappointed with the selection and there were only size 10 tshirts for kids - no other sizes available in any store at the park. Which prior to Christmas was very odd and meant we didn't get either child a tshirt as a memento. There are lots of trees, and it's a gentle walk around so that is nice. We hired a car and drove from Anaheim, it was super easy to do. Meant we could arrive and leave when we felt like it. A fun place to visit!!

• Stayed December 2014
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

Stayed in January for a two night stay. Our kids loved the rooms, great layout for families with the separate bunk bed area for kids. Staff were friendly and very helpful. Only area that needs improving might be the buffet restaurant that could offer some more adult choices for dinner. Overall a good experience.

Stayed January 2015
Mansfield, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I was very impressed upon our arrival at the Legoland Hotel. The staff was helpful and friendly and even checked us into our room early (around 11:00am).The pool had lifeguards on duty when our kids swam which was relaxing for my husband and me. The food at the Bricks diner was great both at dinner and breakfast. My husband had prime rib and I had some chicken and roasted veggies. The kids selection was also really good. Tons of variety! There were activities in the evening for our kids and the sleeping areas were awesome. The hotel was an absolute blast for the night! Worth every penny!

Stayed January 2015

Been to LEGOLAND California Hotel? Share your experiences!