“Great for true Lego fans” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5885 The Crossings Drive, Carlsbad, CA 92008   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
Kanata, Canada
“Great for true Lego fans”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014

We took our two boys, aged 9 & 10, for a two night stay at the Legoland Hotel. It was everything our Lego fans could have hoped for in a Lego themed hotel. We chose the pirate themed room. The boys loved having their own space and bunk beds. The room is large and ours had a balcony overlooking the park entrance.

The hotel offers plenty to do and it was so handy having our room right near the park gate. This allowed us to come back to the hotel for dinners (we really liked the variety at Bricks) or for a rest on the second afternoon. The pool is great and was not too busy, even in high season. The kids enjoyed the dive-in movie.

We recommend getting the $50 family of four voucher for the dinner buffet at Bricks. This is good value for money. The park was also offering evening specials at a few food outlets while we were there, but we found we got much more for our money (all you can eat dinner, with fruits/veggies, dessert, drinks, coffees) by eating at Bricks.

We bought the two day park pass. Well worth it, as we could take our time enjoying the park and the aquarium - and going on our favourite rides twice. You can easily do the park in a day, however, it would leave little time for the aquarium. The Chima water park was impressive, but far too busy for us to stay very long.

This is a great hotel for kids. There's Lego everywhere and the kids love the disco elevators. The treasure hunt was a nice touch - the kids loved discovering the safe combination and finding their Lego gift inside. Everything about this hotel keeps the kids in mind. Family friendly and fun!

Couples
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
Flagstaff, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

On the kids side, this hotel is stellar. Lots of nice little touches. Loved the triple bunk beds for my three kids in their own section of the room. Loved the decor. Very fun. Though the adult bed needs to be a king. The queen is too small and there's plenty of room for a larger bed. The bed itself was hard and uncomfy, as were the pillows. Our view was of ac units but at least there was a cute lego worker display to make it somewhat better.
The elevator was so cool. But one elevator location with only 2 elevators to serve the 250 rooms going to the park around the same time, many with strollers was poor planning. They need at least one other set.
Breakfast was included in the room price, which made it a great thing. Most wasn't that tasty, but filled us up for the park decently. Plan to go earlier then you think to blast because lines form at popular times for the park opening. They say character breakfast so I expected something like disney, but no. No lego guys, which was sad. They have one generic princess in pretty generic costume to serve the whole restaurant. And one balloon animal gal, if u r lucky she will get to your table. She was really nice and made cool balloon swords but only saw her once the whole time we were there, which was sad. The food is no where as good as disney character bfasts either. Go out for dinner. It'll cost you $100 for a $40 meal at bricks. It was ok. The kids liked it. My husband hated it. But the "server" was really nice. It is a buffet so she was more of an attendant then a server but u still have to pay her a tip even though they don't do anything for you.
The pool was small and generic but did have some floating lego bricks to play with, which was really cool for the kids. The lifeguards are crazy, yelling at kids and pretty rude in general. I'm sure they're tired of saying the same things to people, but they could be a little bit nice.
I thought the nightly entertainment would be lego related, but again it had generic characters that my 5 year old cared zero about. My 6 year old was mildly entertained. For the big deal they make about it, it should have at least one lego character.
The lego displays and play pit were really cool. Kids are running around like crazy and there was lots of hidden coves, which makes it somewhat hard to keep an eye on your kids, and there is an exit right by the play area, so kids run in and out.
Hotel was super close to the park entrance, which was fantastic!
But for $100 more per night than disney's cheapest room, I'm left disappointed. $350/night for the cheapest room should give some feeling of luxury/quality. I'm left feeling the people who did the hotel were good designers but don't have kids themselves. Some of the little touches were awesome - like the treasure hunt! The kids all got a mini pack of Legos. That is something disney could learn from this hotel.
I probably won't be back because legoland too was overall disappointing, but if I found a bargain rate that included bfast and dinner and free tickets to legoland and I was going to be in the area, I'd return just for my kids who really enjoyed the hotel!

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
St. Louis, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights in a Pirate themed room. The hotel will allow you to choose your theme upon booking. First floor is Kingdom; second floor is Pirate and third is Adventure. We chose this hotel because our son convinced us that it would be good as it is close to the park. Mind you, it was still expensive, but it was nice to be able to go back and rest while the others went to the park. A buffet breakfast was included in our reservation, so that was nice. The pool was very clean and towels are provided and the pool is supervised by a few lifeguards and there are servers who will take drink and food orders. One gripe I had is the check in time. We arrived around noon and figured that we couldn't check in, however, I was sick, so my husband asked what could they do to speed up our check in so I could have a place for me to rest. They told him that they would put a top priority note on the reservation. We didn't get our room until 3:50 when check in is at 4:00 (and that was asking 2 or 3 times). That was a little irritating, but we shook it off and had fun anyway. Our son had tons of fun that was main thing, so to see him happy, made us happy and we "forgot" how much it was. :)

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

What an amazing hotel for kids. From the moment you walk in, you can see that it is ALL about the kids. There are legos to play with everywhere and a play area just off the lobby where they have nightly entertainment.

The themed rooms are fun and the kids area with bunk bed and pull out bed is far enough was from the main room to make it special. There is also a fun scavenger hunt.

The buffett for breakfast and dinner was perfect for kids and good enough for adults.

As others have stated, it is all about the kids. This is not like the Grand Californian at Disney that is more fancy and catered to adults.

I will definitley be back.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

It's all about expectations and the purpose of the vacation. My purpose for the vacation was for my three boys and their two female cousins (all ages under 8yrs old) to have an awesome experience... They did.. The hotel, upon entering, right away.....AWESOME!!! A Lego pit for the kids to get started with building anything their imagination can come up with. And then sharing that with the next kid in the pit. Awesome experience. Then you go from the pit straight to a pirate ship filled with legos... Awesome. .. That's just to wet their appetites because a few feet from the Lego filled pirate ship.... is Legoland.... Awesome. But before u out get there you go your room. You got the themed rooms with bunk beds and the pull out mattress on the bottom, perfect for the third kid. And there was scavenger hunt for the kids to keep their excitement up and their prize was locked in a treasure chest that they could open after they got all of the clues from the hunt.... again Awesome... for the kids...
Now for me, living and working in Vegas, I know what luxury rooms and fine dining is all about. I didn't come to Legoland Hotel for that service. Legoland is for the kid experience and I think it served them well. But my expectations will alway be the same in any resort hotel. And that's Guest Service. First, I'm a guest of the hotel and not a customer. A customer purchases something and leaves. The customer only is concerned with the price of the product and it's availability then leaves. Now a guest is invited into an establishment. The hotel staff is the extension of the hotels hospitality. A guest is supposed to feel welcomed and appreciated.
I understand that everything can't be perfect all the time but it's how you handle the situation makes all the difference. For example. ..
The first day after all of that awesomeness with checking in and going in Legoland we went to the Skyline Cafe. It was a party of 4 adults and 5 kids. We made our order with Moses our waiter. And yes I feel that's it's important to get names because it may not be the hotel in general but a particular person who needs more training. After we got our food we didn't see Moses until we finished our meals. So we were not offered any refills on drinks or asked if our food was to our liking. So my wife needed more coffee and since there was no Moses even though I stood up and gave him eye contact, I went to the bar and asked if I could get a coffee refill. The guy said yes if there's any left, and no I didn't get his name cause I couldn't see his name badge. But there wasn't any left so he told me to go to the buffet and get some coffee. I HAD TO GO TO THE BUFFET AND SERVE MYSELF MY OWN REFILL OF COFFEE BECAUSE SKYLINE CAFE RAN OUT OF COFFEE AND MOSES MY WAITER NEVER CAME BACK TO SERVE US. That's not it. It gets better. So Moses returns to give the check but he doesn't remember what we ordered so he starts asking us what we ordered!! So he returns and hands us 2 checks because it's 2 parties that's fine but he says... The gratuity is already included. ....
So I asked if there was a manager that I could speak to and he said yes. And the manager who was in charge at that time I had eye contact with just prior to him coming. So if he was trained properly he would of notice some issues with my demeanor and came over. He didn't. But when he did no introduction. So I didn't get his name. He didn't want to hear my complaint and cut me off after my initial complaint about the service. And he just said sorry and I'll take the 18% gratuity off. And that's not it... it gets better. He not only didn't return with the check, he sent Moses after 10 minutes but he also called hotel SECURITY on us!!!!! Now we were not loud or rude and our composure was very nice. We just wanted to explain why we had a bad experience and he didn't want to solve it. Security really!! And security didn't say or do anything just observed. Now was security just making his rounds well I was at the hotel for another day and didn't even notice any security presence anywhere... interesting.
So in closing. Awesome trip for the kids. And missed opportunity for Legoland Hotel management to get a return from a guest and a raving review.

Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Shawna F, Guest Relations Manager at LEGOLAND California Hotel, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Dear Greg H,

Thank you for taking the time to share with us your experience at our hotel!

I am very delighted to read that the kids were pleased with their stay. The LEGO pits and theming throughout the hotel are inspired by children’s imaginations, and we are always happy to hear that it is being enjoyed. Although we like to have the children entertained at every turn, we also want the adults to be able to enjoy themselves as well. I want to personally apologize for the experience you had at our Skyline Café restaurant. As you stated, you are a guest here, and we want to welcome our guests into our hotel and provide them with the best service possible. We uphold very high customer service standards here, and I sincerely apologize the service you received was less than exceptional. Please know that this issue has been addressed, as we take great pride in our training at our Resort.

Again, thank you for your feedback, and we hope you will visit us again in the future.

Warm regards,
Shawna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2014

Very convenient location. We can literally play at lego land, hop back into our room, change into our swimwear then head to water park.

Our kids loved the pirate theme room we stayed at!

Los Angeles, California, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2014

This review is actually being done for informational purposes. We have stayed at Legoland Hotel before and although it wasn't a perfect stay, my son loved it so I'm all support for that. We would go back despite the flaws only because it gives my kids so much fun and excitement. The recent visit was to have breakfast at the hotel before going to the park. Since my 5 yr old celebrated his bday in Sealife the day before, my friends gave us Legoland Gift cards. We were gonna use it for the breakfast but we were told that the hotel system is not programmed to accept the gift cards. The manager came in and said they cannot accept simply because its not in their system and it would only be accepted inside the theme park. I asked if the gift cards can be exchanged coz then we won't be able to use it. I was told by the manager, "yes, maybe. You can try the front desk or the guest services to see which one can help." I also said that since it is their system that wasn't set up to accept the gift cards, then it would be passed on to the consumers to "deal with it"? The staff has a lot to learn in terms of customer service. I don't want to compare but can't help it - these guys should take customer service lessons from Disneyland. Yes, the manager came but really did not make effort to show us that they are sorry for the inconvenience. She wasn't even sure where to send us to find out if something could be done with those gift cards. It wasn't an awesome experience at all... To top it all, it was breakfast time - talking about starting the day right...

• Stayed July 2014

Been to LEGOLAND California Hotel? Share your experiences!