“Didn't Want to leave” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
Sydney, Australia
“Didn't Want to leave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2014

What a great place. The hotel was so much fun. They really do think of everything. From the moment you walk in, the kids are entertained with a pit of Lego, I couldn't get them to leave! The room was fun and i appreciated the advice from others, to book a room on the 2nd or 3 rd floor, the kids never tired of the disco in the elevator. Since we there in Winter the amusement park closed at 5, but the hotel offered entertainment until 9pm, so parents could sit in the lounge, have a drink and still keep an eye on their kids, while they had fun. Even the buffet was great; they offer the kids their own buffet ( lower down, so they can reach) and they can still eat from the "adults" section also. My three children, aged 12, 8 and 4 all loved it and we didn't want to leave. I have recommended this to anyone going to California.
Thanks Legoland hotel, well done

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Pia B

Kimberley, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014 via mobile

My son and I had a great time at Legoland hotel. Great service from all of the staff. I didn't have any huge expectations except to have a good time continue from the park to the hotel and that is exactly what I got. My only gripe I guess, was the food. Very pedestrian and just not very exciting. Although, what do you expect when you cater to kids? Kids don't like anything too spicy or too far out there. So, I get that. Every time we went down the hallway to the elevator or to our room, I was saying hello back to a staff member. Very nice accommodations I slept so well and felt well rested in the morning. Thank you to the Legoland hotel for a wonderful visit!

1 Thank CanAm L
Provo, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2014

This hotel is designed and planned for kids!! If you are looking to make it an out-of-this-world experience for your children, look no further. From the decor, to the floor plan, to the food, the buffet, the tables and chairs, the sinks, beds, televisions, toilet seats, showers, elevators, hallways, and play areas, everything is an experience for kids and they love it. We appreciated that the food was kid friendly (with great adult options), but also had plenty of heathy options presented in a way that the kids loved. Check out the elevators (but be ready to have fun)! Check your adulthood and relaxing adult expectations at the door. This is all kids, all the time. It was clearly meant to be that way. If you are looking for something quiet and relaxing, you'll need to go somewhere else. My boy hit his pillow and said with a whisper and a smile, "this is awesome!"

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Brent M
Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

For several years our family has been saving and planning for a trip to the States. When we confirmed our dates, the first place we booked (six months ago) was Legoland hotel. My son is a lego fan - he loves the dinosaurs and Chima. We booked the type of room we wanted together - so excited about the adventure land room we booked....paid by credit card & had a confirmation #....all sorted - until we arrived today at Legoland to find that they had sold our room to someone else & had no adventure rooms left????? The receptionist said first that they had oversold & then that they had a conference on - so all the adventure rooms had gone & only pirate rooms are left. My son is scared of pirates! I asked to speak to the manager who seemed to think that he could solve my problem by offering me a discount room - as I explained to him - I didn't want a discount room, I wanted the room I had booked & paid for. I also explained that we had come all the way from Australia on a special trip that we had booked 6 months ago. He did the standard 'we'll I'm sorry - but I don't have a room & I've given you a discount' - so basically bad luck! Don't these people have kids?????????? In the interim I have noticed lots of adults wandering the hotel attending (perhaps) a lego movie premiere - shame on you Legoland if you have given these people (who probably don't really care) our room.

• 1 of 5 stars
16 Thank GaleAustralia
Frank I, General Manager at LEGOLAND California Hotel, responded to this review, January 27, 2014
Dear “GaleAustralia”,

I cannot apologize enough for the disappointment we caused you and your family during your stay this past weekend.

I understand this was a trip you and your family had plan for years, and I am very sorry that we put a huge damper during your visit to the States. This was an internal error, and unfortunately, affected your original reservations. I am truly sorry that we were unable to honor them.

I truly hope you and your family are/were able to enjoy the remainder of your visit to the States.

Best regards,
Frank Idris
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2014

I have to say that this hotel is the best I've seen for little kids. They have so many neat details that make it fun for them; a lot of creativity and thought went into it.
Some examples:
- a safe in the room that can only be unlocked after they solve questions by looking around the hotel (like "how many Lego waiters are in the restaurant", or "how many picture frames are on the wall by the elevator"), and once they open the safe, there are chocolate gold coins and a Lego mini-figure for each child;
- a door peephole at eye-level for a child so they can look out;
- disco ball and music in the elevator, but only while the door is closed, so it's like your own little secret party;
- Lego worker statues on the roof where the A/C unit is, as if they're fixing it (that was particularly neat and 'going the extra mile' in my opinion; few places bother to spruce such things up like the roof equipment)
- a separate area in the room with bunkbeds for the kids;
- Lego figures that greet you when you arrive on your floor (they're just statues, they don't move)
- theme rooms on each floor (1st floor=dragons/knights, 2nd floor=pirates, 3rd floor=Indiana Jones adventurer)
- kid activities in the lobby in the evening;
- a moat full of Legos in the lobby to build with.
It's *so* much better than, say, Disneyland hotel. That one is fun because you can take the monorail into the park, but the hotel itself is pretty blah for kids compared to Legoland Hotel. It's the only hotel I've ever seen that was so optimized for kids, and done well.
The hotel's cafeteria-style restaurant is good because it has lots of healthy options, like roasted broccoli, but it is kind of expensive.
The pool is nice and slopes gradually from the edge so little kids can walk in, but it is a bit cold.
Other drawbacks;
- no jacuzzi--not sure why not?
- hotel is expensive, especially in the summer

Room Tip: Rooms on the backside face the amusement park, whereas front side faces the parking lot (although yo...
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank FamilyBeachGuy
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2014

We celebrated my son's 5th birthday here last week and had a wonderful time. The rooms and public facilities were impressively clean, and we really appreciated all the little thoughtful details (e.g. a second, lower peephole on the door for the kids; the little wooden stool in the bathroom for the little ones to more easily reach the sink). Some tips/advice:
- Do take the time to do the scavenger hunt to get the code to open the safe in the room that contain "treasure" (Lego figures and magazines; ours was actually empty but that was quickly remedied).
- Remember that hotel guests can enter the park earlier (a much smoother, less hectic process than Disneyland, by the way) but only certain rides are running so make sure you check the flier they hand you at check-in.
- Park/hotel employees often have Lego figures on their name tags that you can ask to trade. A friend who had been to the park before gave us a heads-up so we came prepared with extra figures from home. My son was shy at first but soon couldn't get enough of these transactions once he realized that he could upgrade his farmer to a pirate captain, for example.
- There are three types of themed rooms: Kingdom, Adventure, and Pirate. Each floor hosts a different theme (e.g. we were in the Kingdom room on the first floor) so if you have a preference on which floor you want to stay in, make sure you choose appropriately.
- Even if you're on the first floor, make sure to ride the elevator at least once. As soon as the door closes, the disco ball is illuminated and the music changes to a more lively tune. The kids automatically broke into a dance and had a great time.

1 Thank Pt_Fwd
Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2014

We stayed at the Legoland Hotel last weekend. The hotel is very impressive for the kids. Lego creations are everywhere. My children were given a scavenger hunt to complete upon arrival. they were to answer questions on the hunt to get the code to the treasure chest in our room. They thought this was really fun! Inside were lego minifigures and a lego magazine. There was a full schedule of children's activities for all ages throughout the evening. We only participated in one of the events but the kids thought it was fun and they included all children in the games. The play area in the lobby is amazing and it was nice to sit in the lounge and have a glass of wine while the kids played just feet away in the castle/boat playarea. We stayed in a deluxe pirate room. The beds were comfortable. The kids part of the room had bunk beds and their own TV which excited the kids. We did go to the pool which was heated and outdoors. It had a nice wading area for the younger children too. We were blown away by the experience. They also have us early entry to the park which was nice. We ate at the Bricks restaurant. The kids liked it. The food was ok, buffet style, but not amazing. It was very convenient for the kids.

Room Tip: We loved the deluxe pirate room.
    • 5 of 5 stars
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carlsbad
West Inn & Suites Carlsbad
Sheraton Carlsbad Resort and Spa
Hilton Garden Inn Carlsbad Beach
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
La Quinta Inn & Suites San Diego Carlsbad

Been to LEGOLAND California Hotel? Share your experiences!