“Much improved after our 2nd stay six weeks after their grand opening!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of LEGOLAND California Hotel

Save Saved
You added LEGOLAND California Hotel to your Saves list
LEGOLAND California Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   5885 The Crossings Drive, Carlsbad, CA 92008   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #21 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
“Much improved after our 2nd stay six weeks after their grand opening!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

My second review after our 2nd stay at this hotel...Much Improved...I'm impressed with how this hotel improved so much 6 weeks after it's grand opening day! We were here for the first time when it first opened on April 5-7 during Spring Break (see my first review) and returned here for the second time for our son's 4th birthday on May 18-20! I only gave it 4 stars but it has a potential to be a 5 star hotel.

Check-in was a breeze this time...we got to the hotel at 1:30 pm...our family suite room was ready and we were able to check in early so that was great...we stayed in Adventure themed family suite on the 3rd floor room #3056 and we had a nice view of the hotel swimming pool...kinda cloudy day but we had a view of the ocean as well! We were inside the Legoland park 30 minutes later!

The family suite still didn't have much theming...but we opted for bigger space vs. extra theming in the room for the comfort of our kids so they have a place to sit and play...we had a sofa bed and an arm chair, a small dining table with 2 chairs...the room also came with a fridge hidden inside an office desk and another chair...we requested a microwave at check-in and when we returned to our room after spending time at Legoland park...the microwave was already installed...so that was nice! I forgot that the room didn't have an iron and ironing board and needed extra towels...I requested those and got them after 10 minutes...the manager wearing a suit and tie even brought them up to us himself...nice service!

We love that the hotel is very kid friendly...it was kinda empty being there on the weekend...play area was empty (which our kids loved because they had the whole place to themselves) when we checked in at 1:30 maybe because everyone was at the park already...still love that the hotel is literally steps away from the Legoland gate...you just walk to the hotel and you're in the room in no time to rest your tired feet from all the walking at the park...very convenient for the kids and kids at heart...need the back hotel entrance open for hotel guests though so we don't have to go around the front entrance to go back to the hotel from the park! We love the disco elevator...now that we were on the 3rd floor! We were on the 1st floor last time but we still rode the elevator and danced every time the 70's music came on! Our kids had fun stumping on a Whoopi cushion floor near the elevator...fun hotel for the kids!

Last time I complained about the check-out process but not a problem this time...we just left the key cards in our room but kept one for souvenir and called the front desk and they were able to check us out via phone we even had the hotel receipt waiting outside our room when we stepped out...the only problem with that is privacy...anyone can pick up that receipt and it had our info on it...I would rather have my receipt emailed to us instead!

Thank you LegoLand hotel for improving so much in just a few short weeks...our kids love this hotel...for the parents we just want the microwave, iron and ironing board available amenities in the family suite...you have plenty of room for them in there! Our 4 year old had a great birthday celebration...kids still complained about the pool water being cold so please do something about this...over all it was a nice comfortable stay at your hotel...we will try to come back for our 3rd stay to check out your Pirate themed family suite when our 4 year old is a lot older...he's kinda scared of the pirate's skulls and bones theme at this time. This hotel is our kids favorite hotel...ages 4, 10 and our very kid at heart 14 year old...he still loves building Legos with his little brothers!

• Stayed May 2013

409 people have reviewed this hotel

Couples
Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013

We stayed at the Legoland Hotel at the end of May and we were really happy with our stay. We actually booked the hotel back in December knowing that the hotel would be brand new and could go through "opening night" issues. We read the reviews posted in April, so we knew of the issues present and I will address them here. The hotel was open for about a month when we arrived. We received a good deal through CAA (AAA) and our stay included breakfast for 4 for 2 days and Legoland passes (one day hopper + next day free). Since children under 3 are free (we have a 2.5 and 5.5 year old), we were able to use the breakfast vouchers for the adults for our third day.
We checked in a few hours after the check-in time since we knew that it would be busy. At 7pm, there was no line. But note the concierge closes at 8pm, so if you want to pick up your Legoland tickets that night, arrive before 8pm. But it's open again the next morning before the Park opens.
We booked an Adventure room, located on the 3rd floor. The floors are big, and there are only 2 elevators, but the wait isn't long since there are only 3 floors. As well, there is a whoppie cushion on the first floor under the carpet which entertains any wait. Kids honestly don't care about waiting; it's the adults who complain. And our room was near the end of the building but we didn't mind the walk. The room has a 'treasure' for the kids which they loved. There is a bunk bed and trundle in one area and a queen bed on the other side. The rooms are good size and it was nice to have an area for the kids. There are no closets but a hanging area for your clothes. There are a lot of really cool Lego furnishings and a bucket of Lego for the kids to play with in the room. We are used to having Lego everywhere in our house, so it was nice not to care about putting it away since the staff expect Lego to be around. There was a lot of thought put into the rooms: There's a stool for the kids; the toilet has a smaller rim in within the larger rim; and there's even a peep hole in the room door for the little ones. The kids loved it all!
The staff are super friendly and very tolerant. And the kids loved being able to trade minifigures with them.
The Bricks restaurant was great for breakfast buffet. There's a buffet station that's kid height which is very convenient. The restaurant staff is a bit slow (i.e. getting coffee) but that should improve over time. There's an egg station, smoothie station, ready to serve food like french toast, sausage, bacon, salmon, bagels, fruit, pastries, potatoes, cereals, breads and the list goes on. I think it's $16 per adult and $8.50 for kids over 3 years old. When you book the room, ask if they have a special: $50 for 4 for breakfast and it would be cheaper versus paying onsite depending on your stay and kids' age.
We also ate at the Skyline Cafe for dinner, but the food was so-so. I recommend eating outside in Carlbad since there are lot of good restaurants less than a 10 min drive. Tin Leaf is a good healthy cantine.
In the evening, there are shows and activities for the kids in the main lobby. You can have a drink or light snack while your kids play with Lego or participate in the activies. While it can be chaotic, one would only stay here for the kids, so it's easier to just go with the flow. If you don't like it, you can always go back to the hotel room.
The hotel is literally steps away from Legoland so it's convenient for the Park visit. There is also a pool at the hotel which we never had time to use, but it's a great pool for the kids.
There are no computers for public use, but there is wifi in the rooms. If you need anything printed, the concierge can assist you with it. You can also buy stamps at the Lego store in the hotel (shop is small; larger stores are in the park).
If your kids love Lego or even if they didn't, this is a great hotel for kids and we would stay here again!

Irvine, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

Things we liked

1 The separated kids area in the room. I read another post complaining it wasn't very private. I thought it was great for being "one" room and my son loved having his own tv and bunk beds and the whole area. He just turned 4 and has never slept in a bunk bed before, but I thought it was safe enough that we let him sleep in the top one.

2 The step stool in bathroom for kids… it was a little slippery on the floor though (no rubber on bottom of wooden legs on tile floor) and heavy and my husband stubbed his toe on it---ouch! And the toilet seat cover that has the built in child seat so little ones don't fall in. We have one at home so we LOVED this.

3 The decor was cute (we got a regular pirate, not premium). There's a note in the room about how the lego statues are worth between $95 and $950 and you will pay for them if you break them.

4 Proximity to park… closer than your car could be parked works for me.

5 Getting early entry… we got in at 9:30 for the 10:00 opening both days we were there for a one-night stay. Only the right side of the park was open to us. Be sure to go to the hotel line to the left of the aquarium--there are no signs or anything so ask if you can't find it. I don't think you can even see it from the front of the park because it's hidden by the aquarium building.

6 The employees were so nice everywhere we went in the park and hotel. We even got into our room before the park was open on check-in day! it probably helped we were checking in the Thursday before a holiday weekend, so I'm sure they were not at capacity the day before. They could not give us late checkout, but I'm sure the Friday of Memorial Day they were at capacity so I hadn't expected it. They bell hop/ valet was super nice about our 3000 bags and a cooler. Valet parking is free but self parking is super close anyway.

7 The disco elevator, whoopee cushion in the floor next to elevator and lego statues that talk were all hilarious and made my son laugh a lot. I think he tried the whoopee cushion about a thousand times. Boys.

8 The omelette bar at Bricks Restaurant was fast and delicious, the guacamole they put on it was big and tasty and the little square cups they put fruit in were super cute. I was pleasantly surprised that even though we ate there just before park opening on the Friday of Memorial Day, we were seated quickly and they had 2 omelette chefs so we didn't wait long for anything. The bacon was decent too.

9 Free on-demand tv, including cartoons, is great for the little ones. I was happy to find they had Disney Jr etc there.

Things we did not like

1 The design of the lobby/elevators/restaurant situation. You walk in to the lobby which is kinda small but fine and hang a right toward the elevators, following the one and only sign in the hotel telling you where anything is. The elevators are a bit down and about halfway you start to wonder if you're going the right way. You turn right just after the elevators to go to the pool, but there's no sign there telling you that, so hopefully you just guessed the pool should be coming up and turned. Also, to get to the elevators/guest rooms you have to pass both Bricks and Skyline which are across from each other. Imagine breakfast time with everyone trying to eat and get to the park and check in or out and there's ONE narrow hallway for all of this. BAD planning there. A lot of congestion and having to pause while you herd through.

2 The play area is super cute, part pirate ship, part castle. However there's no place you can sit where you can see your small children if they go in the different "rooms" of it, and the doors to the outside are right off the back end (or inside of the castle), so if you do sit in one of the lounge chairs to watch them (which are "outside" the castle/ship), they could totally escape out the back. The fact that the area is not nearly big enough for the number of kids compounds this. We avoided it after the first play time until it was mid-day and there were hardly any kids not in the park.

3 The smell coming from Bricks Restaurant is yuck. Ever since having babies I can smell things miles away. Whatever spices they cook with in the kitchen just weren't doing it for me and you have to walk by the restaurant every time you come in the doors. The service at Bricks sucked. The front desk guy was good, but I had to ask for water 4 times from our waitress. She was kinda cranky too. I love breakfast potatoes but I HATED theirs. They definitely contributed to the odd smell. I was so excited they had smoothies because my son loves them. Gross. Don't be excited at all. I think they used some mix… I never understand that. Is just plain frozen fruit and apple juice really that much more expensive?

4 The tub of legos in the room to play with was DISGUSTING. I'd let him lick the toilet about the same point I'd let him play with those.

Things that are both bad and good or indifferent

1 The desk told me they have discontinued the treasure hunt because it was giving kids such a hard time (or if you read previous posts, maybe because the safe was malfunctioning?) You still get the welcome gift of some chocolate coins and lego figures.

2 When we checked in, the girl told me she was taking a minute to get me "a really great room." I had no expectations but that sounded good. We walked in to a view of the a/c etc. We couldn't see anything but that. However, it was painted in lego colors and had some lego statues of maintenance workers so it was super cute. I don't need a view and actually preferred just being able to leave the drapes open since we couldn't see ANYTHING except the ducting etc. It was just odd she thought that was a really great room. She was really nice though.

3 They have express checkout where you just leave your key etc. We came back from the park around 10:40 and called for bell services (you can't arrange ahead of time). They had a 40 minute backlog. I talked to the front desk and it was no problem we'd be checking out after 11 since it was their fault because of bell services. So we waited a bit, but I didn't mind the few minutes of quiet before heading back to the park.

4 We brought a cooler so we didn't use the mini fridge. It was one of those cubes that's about half the size of a regular dorm mini-fridge.

5 Be sure to follow the hotel's directions directly to the hotel. Easier and lots of restaurants off the exit that way (McDonald's just to the right for a quick pre-park breakfast).

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

We stayed two nights before going to Disneyland. The hotel was adorable. My son is 7 and just about out of the rides at Legoland but the hotel atmosphere and kid friendly play area was great! The location can't be beat! We were the first into the park after a great breakfast at Bricks Restaurant located in the hotel. The food was great!
I would recommend this hotel 100%!
We are sad that Legoland is geared toward smaller kids since that would be our last trip to the park. We wish they would consider having an area for 8-14 year olds. If they ever do... We'll be back!

• Stayed May 2013
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2013

From the moment we stepped into the hotel, my kids (8 and 5 years old) were extremely impressed. They loved the Lego play area, the pirate ship playground, even the minifigures at the check in. As we went during a peak period, it took some time to check in. But the kids were entertained, so no complains from them.

They loved the Kingdom theme room and had fun playing on the double bed. The room is reasonably sized with a separate area for the kids. However their gym is very small, with only 1 treadmill.

Food at Bricks were average, just what is expected at a normal diner. Again the kids loved drawing on the paper table clothe. They ate and had fun,

I would say it is 5stars accommodation or the kids, as for adults, being parents, when the kids have fun, I am sure you will too.

Minneapolis, Minnesota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a great new property right on the Legoland park premises. It's still in it's "breaking in period", but most of the kinks appear to be worked out already. One thing to be aware of is Google doesn't quite have the right directions in their maps application yet. It takes you through the park, when you actually want to go in the back way. The hotel emails you to tell you to come the back way, but the directions are a little vague and there are no signs to get to the hotel until you are there.

Our check-in was relatively easy. They have complimentary valet parking, which is great. We showed up early so our room wasn't ready, so we gave them a mobile number and headed straight into the park. They gave us a call while we were in the park to let us know our room was ready. Check-in from there was seamless, other than I reserved the wrong themed room.

The hotel layout is a bit challenging considering the clientele is clearly the younger set. It is a long hallway running away from the lobby area with only one elevator bank. Look for a higher number room as the lower they go you will have to walk a ways. The themes are grouped by floor with the kingdom rooms on the 1st floor, the pirate rooms on the 2nd floor, and the adventure rooms on the 3rd floor.

They have done a great job with the decor and the entire experience being targeted at the 12 and under set. There is lots to keep the kids busy in the common areas and in the rooms. My boys loved the bunk beds with their own TV. I wish the adults could have had a king bed instead of a queen, but it was fine.

We did not eat in the Brick Builders restaurant, but went to the Skyline Cafe to have some adult beverages and meal. It was a good meal, but still a very casual, seat yourself atmosphere. The drink selection was good as well.

We spent some time in the pool at the end of the night. It's a nice area, but the life guard was taking their job a little too seriously that night so kind of took the fun out of being at the pool with the kids.

The location relative to the park is great. Walk right out of the hotel and into the park. We're frequent guests at Disney World and really like the fact that the resorts and parks are completely integrated with room key park tickets and charging to the room. They're not there yet with Legoland, but that's a minor issue.

Overall it's a great new hotel and we would go back as long as our kids are young.

Room Tip: Look for higher number rooms to avoid a long walk.