“Nice Addition to the Carlsbad Area” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Late Night, Reservations
San Diego, California
“Nice Addition to the Carlsbad Area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

In my opinion, there can never be too many Mexican restaurants. After all, just as there are many dialects throughout Mexico, the varieties send styles of Mexican food can be quite different from place to place. At some of restaurants I have discovered interesting combinations that are so unique and special that are rarely order anything else at that specific restaurant. When my friend invited me to Miguel’s Cucina, in Carlsbad, I could hardly wait to see what this place has to offer.

Miguel’s is located in a remodeled building from the old Marie Callenders era. The facility is large and the improvements look great. We arrived early for lunch and by the time we finished our meals the restaurant was filled with many customers. I liked the fact that there was more than enough room at each table and plenty of separation between each dining area. This permitted plenty of business conversation without disturbing nearby guests.

I ordered the carnitas from the menu, which gave me an excellent opportunity to compare Miguel’s with other restaurants serving the same entrée. Included were all the fixings and the waitress accommodated me by substituting two types of beans instead of beans and rice. I much preferred the black beans to the traditional refried style as the latter appeared somewhat flavorless to me. The carnitas entrée was juicy and delicious. The plate was generously proportioned. Our waitress, Katie, was very friendly and attentive and gave us a proper amount of attention. The traditional basket of chips and salsa was enhanced with a couple of additional sauces containing a jalapeño cheese, which succeeded in preventing me from ever trying the other sauce. What a nice bonus!

While this restaurant is not at the very top of my “favorite Mexican restaurant list”, as such placement is reserved for only the select best, it certainly is a great place to consider no matter what size your crowd.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Massachusetts
“Excellent Mexican restaurant with service and food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

Everything is right at Miguel's: great food, large portions, and flavorful, tastefully arranged presentations. Service is attentive without hovering. Even the bathrooms are great: clean and odor-free. It's a find!

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
San Diego, California
“Superb food and service. Best in the area.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

Wow. First time here and a I can say is, "Wow." Swordfish tacos were crazy good my dining partner said the enchiladas suiza was the best they ever had.

Beware!! The jalapeño Cream served with the chips is very afflicting.

Service was superb and the atmosphere was a delight. Take a moment and enjoy this delightful restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Liverpool
“Best Mexican ... Like ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 2, 2013

This is the place to go if you want Mexican! Atmosphere is great, the place is packed.. The coconut and mango mojitos are the best in the world, if I hadnt have eaten so many fajitas I would have drank them all night. Could easy put 7lb on in a night in here ;)
Waitress was lovely and was really cheap to eat out and really close to the hotel.
We had creme brûlée and bread and butter pudding ... Sooooo full!

You have to go!

• Visited February 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Louisville, Kentucky
“Good food and good service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

The food and service here were very good. The value for the experience was good and I would eat there again when in the area.

Visited February 2013

Been to Miguel's Cocina? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Miguel's Cocina, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.