“Great Atmosphere - Food Average” 3 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Los Angeles, California
“Great Atmosphere - Food Average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012 via mobile

Nice family owned restaurant in Carlsbad Village. Loved the inside, very inviting, lots of photos and art adorn the walls. One big room with about 12-15 tables. Can be a little tight, but I wouldn't let that bother me. The chips and salsa were excellent. I had the chili relleno plate. I have had better, a little too doughy for me. My wife had the chili verde, she liked it, however if you don't like fresh cilantro, make sure you order without the cilantro, they smothered the chili verde with it. They have small bar and serve liquor. The waiter and the owner were very good, however the servers were a bit slow and lacked any kind of enthusiasm. This was our first time here, but if I we were to be back in the rea, we would definitely give it a second chance.

“Pretty good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Family owned little restaurant in the downtown Carlsbad village area. I always enjoy eating here when I go to Carlsbad.

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Jose, California
“Less Than Memorable Mexican Cocina”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2012

To put the meal in perspective, the highlight was the salsa that comes with the chips. From that point on, the food was less than memorable …

I had the Combinacion de California (Grilled Tilapia Taco and a Chicken Fajita Burrito). Since the ‘fish taco’ is indigenous to this part of North America, I had great expectations. What arrived was a chunk of tilapia (where do you get tilapia this thick unless it is processed), moderately warmed in a tortilla with lettuce. Without a doubt, it was the WORST FISH TACO I have ever had. By comparison, the chicken fajita was better with an ample quantity of nicely seasoned chicken.

My guest has the ‘Pepe’ Combination Dinner (Beef Taco and Chile Relleno). How does a Mexican restaurant screw up a beef taco? By putting in a minimal amount of beef (and other fillings) that it left her to remember the Wendy’s Hamburger commercial … “Where’s the Beef?” Maybe that wasn’t so bad, since the ground beef that was there had been on a steam table way too long. We had a laugh and she heaped on the salsa to give it some flavor. Unlike the beef taco, the chile relleno had good flavor but too much cheese masking the true flavor of the chile relleno.

Garcia’s is might be a family run restaurant, but I will not be visiting their family again.

• Visited June 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Yummy!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

The food was quite good....very good, fresh salsa w/ lots of cilantro. The Chicken tortilla soup was very good and tasted homemade...although $11 for soup??? Seemed a tad overpriced for me.

The downsides are that the restaurant is very cramped, and not in a cute, cozy way. I bumped into a gentleman on the way to my seat while he was eating because there was no room (and I am thin!). Plus, the waiter kept forgetting one of the member's beverage at our table, and then she was the last to be served after everyone else got their meal.

While it was good, I'd rather go to Norte any day!

• Visited April 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Carlsbad, California
“Good Food on State Street”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2012

One block east of the railroad tracks in Carlsbad, CA is a long-standing hotel called Garcia's. Located on State Street, the main shopping drag, I have seen it plenty of times, but this was my first visit. Husband had a wet shredded beef burrito and a cheese enchilada with beans and rice, I had a chile relleno plate with beans, refried beans and a cheese enchilada. The salsa served with the chips was good, the extra-spicy salsa they brought out at our request was really, really great. We had plenty of leftovers for the next day.

• Visited March 2012