“Never wanted to leave!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort

You added Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort to your Saves list
Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Ponto Road, Carlsbad, CA 92011 (Formerly Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort & Spa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Easy Breezy Beach Package
Ranked #7 of 37 Hotels in Carlsbad
Broomfield, Colorado
“Never wanted to leave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

We had the best 3 night stay!

The resort is right off the coast and has wonderful views. The inside of this place is so stunning I found myself looking around with my jaw hanging open most of the time! The staff is really friendly and will go out of their way for you. They are always checking in with you to make sure that your experience is the best. You can even get beach chairs and umbrellas from them to go to the beach with and they also have a convienient shuttle service that will take you anywhere you want to go in a 10 mile radius! We spent a lot of time in the pool area; the chairs are so comfortable and there was always a place to sit. They also light the fire pits at night- soo nice! The restaurant is lovely and the food is wonderful too! Everything here is the best of the best..highest quality of any resort I have ever been to.

We just got back home and are already thinking about our next trip out there!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Scott W, Manager at Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear amdegroot,

Thank you for your recent stay and great review! I'm glad to see that you had such a great time. We can't wait to welcome you back the next time you are in sunny Carlsbad.

Director of Guest Experience

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
Ardsley, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

We are Hilton Gold members and do quite a bit of traveling! From the moment we arrived, we were met by a staff who seemed happy to see us. We were given a description of the property and an upgraded room with a balcony, facing the ocean. We were told that if we preferred to leave our car parked all weekend, the Concierge would drive us anywhere that we would like to go within a ten mile radius-a lovely service. We were offered recommendations for dinner and activities. Since we were looking to relax and heard that the food was good in the hotel restaurant, we decided to dine there. I was disappointed with my dinner which consisted of some greens topped with a very very thin piece of salmon. Not much of a salmon salad. I ate my salad, as I was hungry but when I came down to ask the front desk a question about beach chairs and an umbrella the next morning,I was asked about my dinner. I told the truth. When the manager overheard what I had said, he asked us to try again and have dinner that evening with the hotel and he offered us two complimentary appetizers and two soft drinks. We were happy that we returned, as our dinner was delicious the second time around. A very smart manager and very satisfied customers:) Our room was average size but had all that we needed and the balcony was an added plus. The best beach for relaxing was about 10 minutes up the road but car or Concierge transportation works well. The beach chairs and umbrella are for rent at very reasonable rates-$5 per chair and $10 for the umbrella. The pool is great, although the music played is too loud. We had a wonderful weekend and would certainly return and recommend this property..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear ronales,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at the Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort and Spa. I apologize that your first experience in Chandlers did not hit the mark. Your comments are being reviewed by our culinary team to avoid any future inconsistencies. I am happy to hear that your second meal was much better, though! We hope to welcome you back as our guest the next time you visit sunny Carlsbad.

Orlando, Florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have a few issues with this Hilton, nothing that the staff did at the particular property but the way Hilton has choosen to market this property. Let me start by saying it is a beautiful new Hilton that opened in July of 2012. The interior and exterior of the hotel is nicely put together with attention to detail that has inviting colors and decor that evoke the beach and sea. Now let me give a breakdown of my stay and issues I have...

How is this considered a resort?
This is my first issue. It is a hotel that happens to also have a spa, it is not a resort and spa, far from it. It offers only one mediocre restaurant onsite and room service ends at 11:00 pm. It doesn't offer any normal resort style amenties.

How is this considered Oceanfront?
Let me start by saying I was well aware before I booked how this particular property was setup and knew it wasn't indeed Oceanfront because I had passed by a few months ago before it opened, but wanted to give it a try anyway. Now, being from Florida and not California maybe the definitions of oceanfront are different...to me, an oceanfront property is one that actually resides on the beach in which the ocean is directly in front of said propery. This property is "Oceanfront" if you ignore Carlsbad Blvd (Pacific Coast Highway) and the camp grounds that are directly in the view line of your balcony. The ocean is probably roughly 200-300 yards from the balconies of the hotel. This is an ocean view not front!

Now onto my actual stay...I arrived very late on a Saturday night, 11:30pm, room service wasn't offered anymore and there was no hotel bar to be found. I maybe through the maze of halls to my room to find a standard king Hilton room, same you would find at any other Hilton, just newer furniture with more of a seaside feel to it. Bed was comfortable, room was clean but nothing special.

When I awoke the next morning, I ordered room service, it was delivered promptly and was also quite tasty. I opened the door to my patio to enjoy the beautiful weather of the day to find I really couldn't! The noise from the bikes on their Sunday cruise down the PCH was so consistent and loud I couldn't sit outside and enjoy it much less keep my door open either. This was a major disappointment and why I think it's important for people to understand this is not a resort or oceanfront because your not going to get peace and quite here. One more thing about the balconies...it's a horrible design. They offer zero privacy from the rooms next you. I could even easily see into the room next to me because the way some of these balconies sit. I even looked down at one point to see a woman sunbathing topless on her balcony, no big deal to me, but again no privacy.

This property had so much potential but because of some design flaws and not taking the steps to be just a little better than your normal HIlton I won't be returning to this property for any casual stays.

Valet Parking is $16.00, Self Parking is $12.00 cheap by most Hilton standards, but given the area they shouldn't be charging for parking.

Chandler's, the onsite restaurant, was hit and miss. Breakfast was great, dinner was not good at all. Actually had to ask to have the charge removed, and dessert was forgettable at best. Overpriced as with any hotel restaurant.

Room Tip: Don't waste money on the Full Oceanfront Rooms, your not going to enjoy it as your door will hav...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Scott W, Manager at Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
Dear CCTVTrainer,

Thank you for your recent stay with us. I am glad to see that you enjoyed the service given by our team members and the beauty of the resort. The new Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort and Spa offers unobstructed views of the Pacific Ocean, direct access to the Carlsbad State Beach, luxurious amenities and an environmentally mindful spa experience, inspired by the sea. Being located on the famous Pacific Coast Highway is not only convenient for experiencing the best on North County San Diego; it adds to the resorts Southern California charm.

Walla Walla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

From the second I stepped out of my car (used valet), to the check-in, to the extra help needed finding things to to do, booking spa reservations, needing shuttle service to and from nearby locations, and anything in between, the SERVICE WAS FRIENDLY AND FABULOUS! Timely, helpful, and I felt treated special (and not in a fake way) staying at the hotel. What a great experience. I was with two girlfriends (our annual trip to some West coast destination) who aren't that big into the hotel experience per say, but even they were impressed this time. The spa was professional, courteous, and helpful (both when I was at my appt. and months later after my appt. when I had questions from home!!!). And of course the location to things to do is great. The dining on site is delicious and I could get a complimentary coffee to go anytime of the day which was so cool! A quick walk to the beach or a quick shuttle service or drive North or South made me wish I was staying longer than my 3 days to take advantage of all the great things there were to do here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Dear RenWallaWalla,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your recent experience here at the Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort and Spa. I am thrilled to read about the "Friendly and Fabulous Service" you experienced. The entire team is proud to receive your compliments and we look forward to welcoming you back soon (for longer than three days next time, of course!).

long beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

Loved the hotel, great location, great staff, very nice resort. Very hard to find a resort that has a microwave and refrigerator in the room!! For the ladies, in the bathroom, they even have a washcloth for taking off your make up. I can't wait to go back to stay at this great resort. I also loved that the parking was free, many other upscale hotels charge for parking. The rooms are large and so are the bathrooms. The hotel is nice and yet it is still kid friendly. The room service menu even had kids meals, which is very hard to find in nice hotels.

Room Tip: We stayed in an ocean view room that had a balcony overlooking the pool. Well worth any extra to get...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Scott W, Manager at Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear AHM123,

Thank you for yoru recent stay and great review! I am glad you enjoyed some of the thoughtful touches in our rooms and throughout the resort. Until next time, take care.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

This place was amazing. Each corner you turn takes you to something even more beautiful. Awesome Ocean view from Room 3026 is something that I will never forget.

The staff at the front desk and at Chandlers was amazing.

Room was beautiful, clean and comfortable.

The only problem I have is finding time to get back there for another stay!!!

Room Tip: Enjoy a Espressotini!
Dear Mmcpeake,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your recent stay at the Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort and Spa. The team really appreciates your wonderful review. You are right, the views from 3026 (my favorite suite) are awesome! We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in Carlsbad.

Silverado, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

My niece and I went for a girls night out and had such a wonderful experience from the moment we walked into the resort until the moment we stepped back out. Besides the property being spectacular in every way; design, comfort, layout, convenience, etc., etc., the staff was equally as superb. They were very friendly and accommodating, and made us feel like VIP’s the whole time. You can't beat a complimentary shuttle or BMW ride within a 10 mile radius. We went to the Premium Outlets and down to the Village for dinner. We have already booked a return visit this coming November, and I'm sure there will be many more girls night outs scheduled in the future. Thanks for the great memories!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Scott W, Manager at Cape Rey Carlsbad, a Hilton Resort, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear JudithF605,

Thank you for your fantastic review! The entire team at the Hilton Carlsbad Oceanfront Resort and Spa appreciates your compliments. Be sure to experience our new Ocean Crest Spa on your next girl's getaway.