“Great Place to Stay” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea

Save Saved
You added Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea to your Saves list
Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea
Ranked #27 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Covina, California, United States
“Great Place to Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

I have been staying here off and on for a couple of years. Rooms are nice, newly renovated. Staff is execellent, nice and freindly. They bend over backwards for anything. Nice to have a kitchen with a refrigerator, microwave, 2 stove burner and sink. They have Contental breaksfast with coffee, muffins, oatmeal, breakfast bars and fruit in the morning. It is located so conveniently from downtown Carlsbad. Walking distance to many restaurants, clubs and local stores. Only a 10 minute walk to the beach. Lots to do here. The prices are excellent for everything you get. Carlsbad is bike friendly with lots of bike lanes to the beach and around town. I wouldnt stay anywhere else in the San Diego Area. Thanks for everthing Extended Stay America, Carlsbad Village by the Sea

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Thank you for your great review of our property. I'm glad to hear that our staff was so friendly and would do whatever you needed to make your stay comfortable. Thank you again for your review. We look forward to seeing you again, should your travels bring you back to our area.

65 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Carlsbad, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2012

I think they've remodeled this location since the rooms seem upgraded from previous experience. Room was clean and well maintained. But since a room is primarily a place to stay I cannot recommend them since the bed was the hardest bed I've ever slept on. I cannot begin to understand why they picked a bed this hard - no other hotel, motel or inn of whatever quality has been this bad. They really should think more carefully about the most important piece of the room, since getting a good night sleep is what it's all about right?

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for your recent review of your stay. I sincerely apologize that you found our beds too hard. In response to your feedback, We've been replacing our older mattresses with new pillow top mattresses. I appreciate you bringing this to our attention. I invite you to contact me at or jburpo@extendedstay.com or clb@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Denver, Colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

We are currently staying in this hotel. The "kitchen" has two of some things- its sparse. One of our spoons has a burn mark in the center- and it doesn't take a dummy to realize it is from cooking heroin. I get it- people do drugs in crappy hotels, but for crying out loud, don't give that spoon to the next guy! The bed blankets and comforter are itchy and yucky. Not much to brag about here. Bummer.

Another thing - exposed electrical wiring. Husband says if we touch it we'll get electrocuted. It's scary. The breaker box was also painted shut. We made sure to get it open just in case someone gets electrocuted! What the heck? This is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Also- they don't give you anything- no shampoo. And pool towels are disgusting, shredding, with holes in them. One of them was actually a towel cut in half. SERIOUSLY?

Found a dirty wadded up Kleenex under the mattress. And we've only been here a few hours- can't wait to see what the next few days bring...

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
James B, Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. The issue with the towels, wiring and flatware is not acceptable, and I sincerely apologize for your experience. In response to your feedback, I am have our management team inspect the rooms for those issues this week to ensure they are not repeated. I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. I invite you to contact me at jeusebio@extendedstay.com, clb@extendedstay.com or jburpo@extendedstay.com if you have any additional comments. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

This is a great hotel and you cant beat the price! My wife and I are from Carlsbad but now live in Arizona. Typically we stay with family or friends when we’re in town but now that we have a little girl (1 ½ yrs old) we find it easier for us, and our family, to have our own space.
Growing up in Carlsbad I’ve always noticed this hotel tucked away in the cul-de-sac but never really gave any notice. Now that they have remodeled the exterior and interior they’ve turned this once drab space in to a shining gem.
As my title says its all about location and this hotel has it. Walking distance to everything Carlsbad has to offer. It’s a bit of a distance to the beach so if you’re trucking all your kids stuff, and in my case, kids stuff, and my surfboard. My suggestion is bring a folding wagon or cart. That might be a good thing the hotel could offer their guest. Have a couple wagons on hand to loan out to guest with families. Hopefully they read this and pick up a few of them at Costco.
As far as the rooms they were very nice. I noticed a couple things they could have improved which is the reason I’m giving them a 4 rather then a 5 rating. If you’re going to update an entire hotel with new furniture, carpet, paint and so on. Why not get rid of the dirty popcorn ceilings? Yes I know there is extra cost involved, but to have all brand new then look up to see an old, dirty popcorn ceiling threw me off. The other thing that stood out to me was the bed. They had new, modern looking bedding but no bed skirt. The box spring was a bit beat and it really stood out. This is an easy fix which would make the room so much nicer. The rest of the room was great. The kitchen came in handy since we had the baby and could easily fix her meals.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. The hotel doesn’t have a regular cleaning schedule so if you want your room turned its by request. We never requested the cleaning service but did request towels and dish soap for the kitchen now and then. They were there in a flash with no waiting.
If you’re like us and arriving via your own car I would suggest bringing your bikes if you have them. The hotel is walking distance to just about everything but next time we’re bringing the bikes for sure. There are a couple places in town that rent bikes for the day or week so that’s always an option as well.
We had a great stay at Extended Stay and will definitely be returning again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you so very much for your glowing review of our hotel. Whenever I read comments like yours it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. We appreciate your ideas and feedback; I am going to see about possibly incorporating them in the future.

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

Very clean and courteous staff. Grab and go breakfast works well for the on the go traveller. Very near the beach. Pool onsite is also a big plus for the kids. There is also a fitness center onsite for those who want to exercise. Parking is also abundant.

Room Tip: Rooms on either floor is good.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, September 7, 2012

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Smoke seems to permeate the room, even though smoke free according to clerk. Pet friendly, with dogs all over. However, if you don't want to share your hotel with animals, this is not so pleasant. The pool is nice, but no hot tub/spa. Not sure of the ratings, but only soap is provided in the bathroom, without shampoo/conditioner. Small kitchen is nice. Beds are firm, but seem to be beaten up already, for a newly renovated/constructed hotel is surprising. Free breakfast munchies are nice.

Room Tip: Back rooms are quieter, and nearer the parking, but freeway noise may travel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, responded to this review, September 4, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at our hotel. Given our company's commitment to superior guest satisfaction, I was happy to read your remarks about the pool and complimentary breakfast; however, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. Please understand how truly sorry I am.

The staff and I strive to provide friendly service, clean rooms and a comfortable place to stay. We apologize if the dogs and designated smoking rooms kept you from being able to consider our hotel a "home away from home". It is our goal to ensure that our guests are not disturbed throughout their stay and it saddens me to hear you were.

Florham Park, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2012

I booked a vaction through a travel agency and we decided since we'd be there a week we'd try an Extended Stay, good value, and a very nice piece of property. We landed around 8:30 pm and got our car and drove to the hotel. When we arrived we were tired from our flight and just wanted to go to sleep (due to the 3 hour time change coming from NJ). We got the lobby and we smelled smoke, no big deal. When we got to the reception area check-in was quick and she was very pleasant, then she said it and this is the only reason I gave 4 and not 5 points. She said the lobby is closing soon and if you have any problems call the police. Well my wife (holding our 4 year old song) her eyes bugged clear out of her head! When we got back to our room I got hit with 20 questions. "What did she mean?" "What problems will we have?" "Does she know something?" I calmed her down and we enjoyed our evening.

I am not mad at her, or the hotel I actually appreciate the warning.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

I do appreciate the opportunity to respond to your issue in a way that might be able to help future customers. It's very important to us that our guests know exactly what to expect when staying with us - a great room at an exceptional rate. In order for us to continue offering such value, we maintain fully staffed front desk hours between 7am and 11pm seven days a week. During other times, our overnight staff is always available to check in guests and assist with other issues. It is not our policy to refer guests to the police department for overnight guest needs. I apologize if our Front Desk agent did so, I will be speaking with them about the situation.

Been to Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea

Extended Stayamerica San Diego-Carlsbad Hotel
Extended Stayamerica San Diego-Carlsbad Hotel Carlsbad
Extended Stay America Carlsbad
Extended Stay Carlsbad
Carlsbad Extended Stay
Address: 1050 Grand Avenue, Carlsbad, CA 92008
Location: United States > California > Carlsbad
Ranked #27 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Hotel Class:2.5 star — Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea 2.5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Orbitz, Extended Stay, Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Agoda, Venere and Otel so you can book your Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.

If you own or manage Extended Stay America - San Diego - Carlsbad Village by the Sea, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.