“Management is lacking "there is no strive for the five" there is no five!” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Carlsbad Seapointe Resort

Save Saved
You added Carlsbad Seapointe Resort to your Saves list
Carlsbad Seapointe Resort
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   6400 Surfside Lane, Carlsbad, CA 92009   |
Ranked #12 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Lompoc
“Management is lacking "there is no strive for the five" there is no five!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

After years of going to Carlsbad area resorts during Christmas and New Years weeks, something our family has looked forward to each year and we have worked hard at getting the time off and lucky to find resorts during those weeks, well we finally stayed at the wrong place. You can over look silly things like the high ceiling fan glass beads hanging on the chains, beating together during the night, the placement of the free soap box in the shower that is in the way of anyone taller than it is, bathroom ventilation fans not strong enough to ventilate bathrooms from moisture build up and black mold on grout, or the missing master bedroom window screen. Ok these resorts are refurbished places and yes you can expect some things to be sort of over looked but nothing I have said so far can compare to what went on during our stay that should not have gone on.
New Years week at the Carlsbad Seapointe Resort: After making our reservation thru RCI in early 2013 for our one week stay. Received call from RCI rep wks before our arrival, asked if we had any special requests? I asked for early check in and Ocean view top floor, no guarantees but the request would be added to the reservation, given resorts front desk phone number and told to call about 2 days before our arrival date. I called 2 days before arrival, spoke to an Olga, I re-requested an early check in, an Ocean view top floor room, I was asked for an expected arrival time “ told that check in was 4pm” I asked for 11am or noon if possible. Olga didn’t seem to jolly or happy on the phone.
We arrived early; my wife went in to check in as I parked the car. When I walked in the lobby my wife was thanking the woman at the front desk. My wife said no rooms were available but they would call us when our room was ready. We were then directed to the RCI guy, very informative guy even to say you are early and did you get an Ocean view room? I asked my wife if we were able to get a third floor room with Ocean view. She didn’t know, as a matter of fact she didn’t know what room we had been checked into. So we went back and asked the woman my wife had just spoken to and to my surprise it was Olga, the woman I had spoken to just two days before about early check in and 3rd floor Ocean view. Olga said no we found out she had a room for us on the 1st floor in front of the kids pool. My wife asked if there were any 3rd floor Ocean view room’s available as we had requested, turns out there were and the room was changed. I was a bit mad because I had spoken to this woman 2 days before and requested this, do they not check the reservations requests upon check in? Or was it even added to the reservation at all? With time to kill we walked to the activities desk and were greeted by Sara, she was wonderful and explained what all the property had to offer during our stay.
Resort called and we checked in around 2:30 pm, received our room check in packet, all important info out of the list of 24 were pointed out and the most important of the 24 we circled those being:
#3 Check- out time 10am #18 Housekeeping Services are provided as follows: Trash and Towels on Tuesday “didn’t happen” Mid week Mini Clean Rooms ending in 17-33 Thursday “didn’t happen” Trash and towels: Saturday “didn’t happen”
12/30/13 Monday We attended the welcome breakfast; it was a nice meal, informative and not pushy. Returning to our room we found out keys did not work, walked down to the desk and the keys were re -scanned, they did not work either so we phoned the desk and maintenance was sent up, the man did not speak English very well and didn’t seem to know what he was doing after 30 – 40 minutes the Maintenance supervisor showed up and several minutes later the computer was detached from the door and our keys were able to unlock the lock. Must remember the saying we heard two times after the breakfast “We strive for the five”! Ok now that’s not so bad and not much thought about this.
12/31/13 Tuesday Called for an early morning: Trash and Towel exchange per #3 in Info packet they said ok. When we arrived back to the room the trash had been picked up but the towels had not. Called the front desk and was told sorry and someone would bring up towels, I said there are 4 of us in the room ok. A man brought up towels for four; I had to ask for TP and kitchen towels also, he said ok and ran with the towels and returned a few min later. We prepared for our barbeque: cleaned, chicken, fish and beef ribs, seasoned all and fixings for fish tacos, loaded up the ice chest and headed down to the BBQ, neither of the 2 would light. Maintenance arrived, the same man that worked on the door lock, he had a long lighter and after several tries was able to light the flame, I told him that the Electric Igniter’s on both of the barbeques did not work and the one on the right shocked you when you push it in. He said NO WORK, BROKEN and shrugged his shoulders with a smile, that is not right! This guy knows it does not work, who else knew? Later we returned to the room with the food and found a message on the phone it was from housekeeping they said they were unable to get into the room because the, do not disturb sign was on the door. The message was at 3pm and the desk had sent towels up at about 1pm already, these people must not communicate with each other? “We strive for the five”
01/01/14 Wednesday Stayed close to the resort enjoyed the beach, pool, fitness room and activities going on as we had each of the past days.
01/2/14 Thursday Called front desk for early morning room cleaning, they said ok and we were expecting the mid week Mini Clean per #18 Housekeeping Services from the info packet. We drove to San Diego along the coast and then dropped my wife and daughter off at the outlets. My son and I went back to the resort so he could swim. Guess what? The room had not been cleaned; the trash was gone. Called front desk, they were sorry would try to get room cleaned but if not on Friday for sure, any time we wanted. Towels were sent up but only two, the guy left, returned with more, do they not check the reservation for # of persons? Later phone rang, front desk asked what time we would like our roomed cleaned on Friday, my wife asked if 10 am was ok, and was assured it would be taken care of. She was also told that because of the holiday falling on Wednesday that the mini cleans were done on Tuesday. We were never told of that schedule change. Do these people not inform the customers of their changes??? What happened too “We strive for the five?”
01/03/14 Friday Out of the room at 9:45am thinking housekeeping would be on the way. We arrived back at the resort at about 2:45 pm; we overheard a maintenance man was being radioed by someone about room 323. That was our room! We got up to the room OPENED THE DOOR WITH OUR KEY, what do we find, trash not taken, towels not replaced and no mini clean of any kind but there was a message on the unit phone from the front desk at 1:30 pm, “sorry the room was not cleaned” it would be done within the hour. Wife calls front desk, they are sorry someone will be up right away. Three maintenance men show up, the first one “smiling” guy says, housekeeping could not get in to the room. I said really, then how did we get in? Mr. “Smiley” along with other 2 maintenance men asked us how we got in? Closed the door and ran our room key and it opened, Mr. “Smiley” and the other 2 maintenance men look at each other kind of like the three stooges, and one man even had batteries in hand. We told them that a maintenance man with the supervisor had fixed the door already and if our keys worked might not be a problem with the batteries. Mr. “Smiley” had to go on and on about how housekeeping could not get in when they came by at about 2pm. Do I/we need to hear this no but he continued to go on, as the “stooges”(maintenance) took the lock apart over and over and hooked the computer up over and over, whispering to each other. Finally after 35 minutes we are told the lock works, wow we even had to ask if our key would work, housekeeping showed up and had to stop to talk to the “three stooges” for a laugh. The housekeeper continued on to our room, asking me “you want your room cleaned” I said yes. “We strive for the five?”
This resort should get their act together, they have a beautiful resort but something is lacking, maybe a independent auditor should be hired to come in and review/stay on property and monitor the front desk at all hours of the day, hire an independent Maintenance contractor/stay on property and monitor maintenance crews and maybe hire an independent resort specialist/stay on property and grade the entire staff. We are sure that the Activities Staff would grade A+ but not sure of the rest of the staff.
With all that being said, if you stay at this resort get ready to drive to get around town because you’re not within walking distance of Carlsbad. You are in walking distance to the beach and to the Train. Be aware that the area to go through the gate to get to the train has limited hours. Otherwise you will have to climb a fence gate or you will have a very long walk back from the train station. The gym is great and is open 24 hours a day. Special thanks to Sara and Maddie from Activities, both are shining stars, future success to you both.

Room Tip: Ask for Ocean View top floor, might get it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Sherry W, General Manager at Carlsbad Seapointe Resort, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Spinner48,
Thank you very much for the very detailed account of your visit to our Resort. Your feedback has assisted us in identifying our shortcomings and revisiting procedures to improve the services we deliver to our Owners and Guests. An email was sent to you based on your post departure comment card and I would be interested in discussing your experiences at the earliest opportunity. On behalf of the entire team, we value your feedback and hope that we will have another opportunity to show you how great our property is in the future.

482 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
Carlsbad, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

Another great stay at the Carlsbad Seapointe Resort! They never disappoint! We stayed in a 1 bedroom that felt like a mini apartment. We didn't do much cooking but the kitchen literally had everything we needed if we choose we wanted to! The staff was very responsive to our needs and assisted us with making our vacation above what we expected! We felt very welcomed. The grounds were extremely well kept and the location is prefect. The sunset by the adult pool was absolutely breath taking. We were also able to attend the Sangria Social on Tuesday with Sara which was an absolute blast! (She was super nice and hospitable!) They have a lot of fun things to do at the activity center for kids AND adults! (and not having any children with us we greatly appreciated this!) I give their activities department a 10! I just wish we could have attended more activities!! I Would recommend Seapointe to everyone the staff does their absolute best to full-fill your needs through out your vacation! Overall we love our vacation here, the hospitality was outstanding!

Room Tip: Make sure to call in at the actually resort to request your room location! They say they can't g...
Green Features: Very green resort! They have a little sign in the restroom that states if you'd like your towels to be taken to throw them on the floor and housekeeping will replace them OR hang the towels to use them again. This definitely cuts down wasting water! Who needs their towels changed after one use!?
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Hi random_girl143,
Thank you for your post. We're thrilled to welcome you back for another great stay! We're so glad you enjoyed your one bedroom suite and the accommodations. It's great to hear how responsive our staff was to your needs and we're glad they could be of assistance during your visit. We look forward to welcoming you back again sometime soon!
Nuneaton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

The location was fantastic and Carlsbad village was wonderful. We stayed in a 2 bedroom apartment and felt the resort fell below our expectations, it was pleasant enough but dated. Our apartment was a ground floor one and was quite noisy, from hearing lots of walking around upstairs, to lots of noise from toilet flushing, running water from sinks, showers. We have stayed at HGV resorts in Florida and Portugal which were much nicer and better equipped. We are Hilton owners at Myrtle Beach and although we booked through RCI, as we had a surplus of points to use we did inform the resort by email that we were Hilton owners shortly after our booking in February 2013 when our stay was Dec, but we were still charged resort fees at check out which was not expected and was not made clear at check in. So beware if you book through RCI even if you are Hilton owners.

Room Tip: For a sea view you need an upper floor, which we asked for months in advance, but still ended up wit...
Green Features: There were recycling bins in the room and notices in the room about recycling policies.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi AngeG67,
Thank you for reviewing Carlsbad Seapointe Resort. We're so glad you enjoyed our location and visiting Carlsbad village. Unfortunately, we realize you had some concerns with your stay. We apologize for any inconvenience you experienced with the noise from other guests' rooms. We invite you to contact us at csrinfo@gpresorts.com should you wish to share or discuss any additional details of your stay. We hope to speak with you soon.
Laguna Niguel, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We did a points swap through RCI and decided on going with a one bedroom since there were only two of us. I probably would go for a two bedroom next time because the one bedrooms are a little small and I would only recommend them for two people. This was a Christmas time vacation, and it wasn't overcrowded which we liked, but I think my experience might have been different had we gone during the summer with the view on the 2nd floor overlooking the kids pool. It's not a problem this time of the year, so depending on what time of the year you book, keep it in mind unless you have kids. The best thing about this relaxing 5 days is that the front desk was fabulous in following up on whatever we needed. For example, If they sent someone to supply barbeque utensils, they would call to make sure they were delivered. While this isn't to be mistaken for a world class resort, it's the nicest we have stayed in through RCI. The down side is the resort fee, which I don't think we should have to pay since we already own a timeshare. Downside: I feel like we are double charged for something we have already paid for. We had a small one bedroom which has a weird setup for the television for the too small bedroom. What made this a 4 was the excellent customer service, and what kept it from being any higher was the small one bedroom with the weird TV arrangement and small closets and drawer space

Room Tip: Get a two bedroom whether you need one or not
Green Features: They are very proud of their "green" rules and they are consistent. This is a strength.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hi DLindsey1,
Thank you for your post. We're happy to hear you enjoyed your Christmas getaway at our property. We're thrilled to know what a big help our front desk staff was during your visit. We're glad we were able to accommodate you with any missing appliances. We hope we will have another opportunity to welcome you back again in the future!
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

We own a time share in another state, but we decided to exchange for a different place. This was one of the greatest vacation we have had, and we travel a lot. The beaches, the food, shopping, all awesome. Walking every morning with beautiful weather was unbelievable!. Just wish washer and dryer was in the room, but that didn't phase our trip!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Hi A M,
Thank you for reviewing Carlsbad Seapointe Resort. We're so happy to hear this was your first time staying with us. It's great to know you enjoyed the beaches, food, shopping and our property. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Oceanside, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2013

We recently were faced with the dilemma of needing a much larger space to host a gathering. The staff at Seapointe in Carlsbad were absolutely wonderful. Kylie who is in charged of scheduling responded to us immediately. She worked with us to plan the perfect venue. It was super convenient to have them provide the tables, linens, coffee, parking spaces...

The best part was taking in the sunset in the evening. With the clubhouse perched up high, directly across from the beach plus its floor to ceiling glass windows was the perfect combination to provide the most breathtaking views.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Rosa S,
Thank you for your post. We're happy to hear how quickly Kylie was able to help schedule a larger venue space for your gathering. We sure hope your guests had a fabulous time as well! Whether you're hosting an event or vacationing with us, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!
Escondido, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

I stayed here a little while back for my birthday. This resort is great, the staff is amazing from housekeeping to maintenance to the front desk and activities these people really know how to make you feel welcome! I love the third floor rooms for the view of coarse but I would enjoy any room there because the beach is steps away and you can see an amazing view from most anywhere on the property. Loved it and will be going back !!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Hi LuvsOdin,
Thank you for your post. We're so pleased you chose our resort to celebrate your birthday and hope it was amazing. We're thrilled to know our staff was exceptional during your visit and always made you feel welcome. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Been to Carlsbad Seapointe Resort? Share your experiences!