“Acceptable, clean business hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$20 Daily Credit
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Carlsbad
Los Angeles, California
“Acceptable, clean business hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2007

Stayed here for a night in April 2007 to take the kids to Legoland.

The hotel is about 2 miles from Legoland, a short 5 minute drive. The factory shopping outlets and other restaurant establishments are also close by.

We got a king room with sofa bed which suited us well. The room was generally clean, though you can tell that it is a 3 star establishment just by looking at the quality of hte furnishings and beddings.

Nonetheless, it's a clean and affordable place to lay your head on for a night. The clientele are mostly business travelers.

• Stayed April 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Washington, DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2007

I stayed here for 4 nights for a local wedding. The rooms are large as far as Courtyards go. The staff is nice and everything seems recently remodelled. My only possible gripe is that it is under the final approach for a helipad - didn't bother me, but if this does I would suggest staying on the west side of the building.

If you have a reasoanble expectation, however, this hotel is just fine.

Stayed March 2007
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2006

The Courtyard Carlsbad is located further inland in a business area. While it isn't close to the beach, it is very close to Lego Land, flower gardens, and only 5 minutes to the beach. So it is ideal for families, vacationers and business travelers. The hotel is very new, so furnishings, carpet, and bedding are all in great condition. Bedding and linens were nice and comfortable. The room was laid out well, with room for a pull out sofa. We really were surprised at how nice the breakfast was (incl in price of room). Made to order omlets and waffles, fresh fruit, table service, etc.

• Stayed February 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2006

Great hotel and worth the price. Hotel and staff were both great. Breakfast was also beyond anyones free breakfast standards. Fresh fruit and waffles and juice. We checked in late and everything was just as we booked. Carlsbad is a nice little town with nice resturants. We would come back here again.

Stayed December 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2004

For context, I am a Starwood Gold and Hyatt Platinum Elite customer. Marriott recently comped me to Gold level to try to win my business.

This was my first stay at a Marriott (all my business travel has been with Starwood and Hyatt properties).

My first impressions staying at a Marriott-based hotel were unfavorable, and I am unlikely to do business with Marriott in the future as a result of this stay.

Condition of room: the outer globe that should cover the lightbulbs on the wall was entirely missing, which resulted in very bright glare directly off the lightbulbs. This hurt my eyes, and is unacceptable condition for the room.

I had a room with an in-room jacuzzi -- sounded very good in theory, but in practice it wasn't so great. The controls to operate the jacuzzi were confusing, I couldn't figure out how to work it and and there were no in-room instructions on how to operate the jacazzi.

I called the front desk and they helped me figure out how to turn it on. Turns out there were two different buttons you had to push, and in the right sequence. Go figure. In-room instructions would have been helpful, rather than having to call.

I requested a call-back from the hotel General Manager about my disatisfaction with the bright glare due to the globe cover missing from the lights, and provided my mobile phone number to call. The hotel General Manager NEVER called me back, which is unacceptable.

I also was unhappy that the description on the Marriott web site for the Gold Elite membership made me think that I would get breakfast for free. The hotel staff told me breakfast does *not* come free at their hotel for Gold Elite members, which was disapointing because the website set my expectation otherwise.

Here is the text from that led me to believe breakfast did come free:

Guaranteed Lounge Access/Free Continental Breakfast

"At participating Marriott Hotels & Resorts, Renaissance Hotels & Resorts, and Marriott Conference Centers locations, enjoy light snacks, beverages and complimentary continental breakfast in our Concierge/Executive Club Lounge. ****For those locations without a Concierge/Executive Club Lounge,***** we invite you to enjoy a complimentary continental breakfast on your weekday stays, Monday-Friday. Just show your membership card and room key in the hotel restaurant. We guarantee you will always receive access to the lounge during normal hours of operation, or your Healthy Start Breakfast, or we will reimburse you $100 USD at full-service hotels. (Not available at resorts.)"

==> Since this Courtyard didn't have a Concierge/Executive Club Lounge, I interpreted the below passage as saying I would receive complimentary continental breakfast on a weekday stay. If the rules are otherwise, then the description below on the Marriott web site is poorly worded, not specific enough, and confusing.

California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2003

After 4 visits to the Carlsbad Courtyard I am extremely disappointed.
We stay at this hotel because it is close to my parents home. Do not pay for the Breakfast Lover Special. It is less expensive to book a room without it and pay the price of the buffet ($10.95). Our last visit was the worst (Thanksgiving) our room was not cleaned until after 4:00, our free Internet did not work and the noise was terrible. When we complained the front desk told us that here was nothing they could do to help us. we will be looking in to other hotels for future visits.

Been to Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad? Share your experiences!