“Brought me back to this hotel brand!” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Earn Rewards Points
Ranked #20 of 36 Hotels in Carlsbad
Desert Hot Springs, California
“Brought me back to this hotel brand!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2014

I booked my hotel for one night and picked the location since I had wanted to be fairly close to the San Diego Safari Park and to be also to be close to the 5 freeway. It was easy to find and close to shopping and food if you have a car. I know the hotel has a shuttle that runs but I don’t know where it heads since I drove to this hotel. The hotel is close to the Palomar/Carlsbad airport and to the Carlsbad Outlets.

Parking is free which is always a huge plus for me and the hotel was holding a movie night the night that we had arrived. I had booked a two bed room and the beds were extremely comfortable and check-in was easy. The room size was big enough for the both of us with our carry on sized suitcases.
The air conditioning and water pressure worked well. I didn’t even get to use the hotel internet (which was free though), and I didn’t see the workout room or pools. I really did just use the hotel for showering and sleeping.

The staff was welcoming and there is even a bistro in the lobby to grab food and drinks quickly. The night we stayed, there were a lot of children running around and it was to be expected because this hotel is very close to Legoland. I didn’t hear them running around very much though which means that the hotel walls were decently insulated.

I had actually had a horrible experience with a Courtyard in the past and had always been hesitant to stay at another one. The price for the night in this hotel was decent and I decided to give this chain another try and I’m actually glad I did. This hotel is decently priced and with the amenities offered, I say give it a chance to surprise you.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Geoff W, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
LilPiggyQT,

It always makes us super happy to get recognition from a senior contributor such as yourself. As you mentioned our location is central for many attractions in San Diego. I see you mentioned our shuttle in the review and mentioned you didn't know where it went since you drove. Just as an FYI we use our shuttle to take corporate guests to work during the week, as we are close to many businesses as well as shopping and beaches.

It sounds like you had a busy trip and I'm glad the rooms met your needs for getting a good nights rest. You'll have to come visit again and spend some time at the pool.

Movie night is one of my favorite things we do at our hotel. As you mentioned our proximity to Legoland attracts lots of families, and we like to have something for the kids to do in the evening, and the movie night has always been a hit.

Thank you for recognizing our Bistro staff. all of us here try and go out of our way to make each guests stay as pleasant as possible. We love what we do, and I feel it shows.

We're thrilled to have won you back over, and we hope you come back to visit real soon.

Respectfully,

Geoff W
Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

We have not normally stayed at Courtyards, but this one was really nice. It has a great lobby area, with a Starbucks, and a large lounge area, where we watched some World Cup Soccer. The pool area is a very decent size, with a cabana next to it and plenty of seating. We had a room on the first floor with a walk-in screen door which took us right to the pool. (Very convenient). The rooms looked new, not sure if they were recently renovated, and the size of the room was fine. My family liked this place very much and so did I. There is a gas station down the intersection off Palomar, and there are plenty of places to eat within a mile of this place. It seemed a little isolated, but we liked that as well. Plenty of parking, overall we had a nice weekend and would definitely return to this place.

Room Tip: We had a first floor room, pool side, and it was great and convenient, especially with kids.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Geoff W, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear FredPT,

I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. Our lobby area is one of my favorite things about our property and I am glad to hear you were able to take advantage of it. There's no reason to stay cooped up in the room with a lobby so nice and inviting.

I too enjoy the first floor rooms for easy access to the pool area. You have a good eye for detail because in fact we did just complete a remodel about a year ago, hence the new look of the rooms.

It's great that the whole family enjoyed the stay, and I hope you come visit us again very soon.

Geoff Waddell
Assistant General Manager
Torrance, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2014

We stayed for two nights and the kids loved it. We loved it.
Pool was warm and clean.
The room was comfortable and clean.The food was good and the servers very accommodating.
All staff attentive and helpfull.
Even gave is a list of restaurants that delivers, in case we wanted something they did not offer. PC's in lobby. Nice sitting areas inside and out.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, June 30, 2014
csliforniatripping,

Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Carlsbad.

We are pleased that you found room comfortable and our Bistro accommodating and good. The staff being attentive and helpful is our most important goal.

It is great that you both the adults and kids loved the trip. Being able to check email on a lobby PC or escape to one of our relaxing areas helps make for a great weekend.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Kind regards,

Okinawa, Japan
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014 via mobile

Everything you would expect from a Marriott. Pool and hot tub were relaxing. Lots of outdoor seating in sun and shade. Hotel was clean and the staff was very friendly. Nothing within walking distance, but lots nearby.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
LHPUSAviaOki,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are pleased that we met your expectations and that you were able to enjoy our great Carlsbad weather! Our outdoor seating definitely provides some great options to relax and recharge. It is true that most restaurants and shopping are just a short drive, but that also contributes to our tranquil environment. Thank you for pointing that out!

Most of all, thank you for the kind words about our staff. They truly are very friendly and we appreciate you pointing that out.

Safe travels!

Respectfully,

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

Love the location of this hotel, very quiet and professional. Nice clean lobby, excellent rooms. Extremely friendly and professional customer service. My experience was phenomenal!

Oh and the free cookies.. (:

Definitely recommend staying at this fine establishment to anyone out there.

• Stayed June 2014
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Cody G,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay!I am pleased that you enjoyed the location, lobby, and rooms. The cookies are delicious treats. We are glad that you liked them!

Most of all, thank you for pointing out the friendly and professional service. Having a phenomenal experience and recommending us to others is a great compliment. I will definitely share your comments with our staff. Thank you for that!

Safe Travels,

Norman, Oklahoma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Courtyard overnight when visiting Carlsbad for a job interview. On the outside, the hotel is very well-kept. Clean & bright. The lobby was spotless & inviting as well. I was greeted with a cookie & prompt & fast service (always appreciated after being on a plane for 3 hours & jet-lagged by 2 hours!) I was even given a coupon for a free breakfast from the "Bistro" located on the other side of the lobby. They have a BEAUTIFUL sitting area with a fireplace, large screen television & Satellite TV. Oh yeah....this is still in the LOBBY. My room was very clean overall & I was lucky enough to have a balcony room with a view & since it's Carlsbad, the sunset was gorgeous. Back to the room. If I HAD to nitpick, there was hair on my shower wall, my toilet seat & a long hair on my coffee table in the sitting area. I would advise making sure there wasn't any hair in the room, as it can make the guest wary of anymore hairs lurking in the room. But again....for me, it wasn't a deal-breaker. Also, I had to go back to the lobby & ask for menus for local food spots & the bistro. At the very least, I would suggest menus to the in-house restaurant available upon check-in. I will definitely recommend the Courtyard to my friends & family & I look forward to visiting again!

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony room on a higher floor so you can see over the trees & soak in some sun!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
David D,

Thank you for the review. I hope the job interview went well and we will be seeing you back again soon for orientation! It is great that you found the hotel in great condition and we were prompt in getting you checked in with a fresh cookie! The balcony rooms definitely are a nice plus with our near perfect San Diego weather. They lobby is a great place to hang out with the Bistro, TVs, and fireplace.

Thank you for the feedback on housekeeping and the menus. We will definitely share this with our staff and make necessary adjustments.

Thank you for your recommendations to friends and family. It is one thing for you to enjoy your stay and another to share your experience with others. That is awesome!

Safe travels,

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2014 via mobile

Flew in from Chicago and checked into the Courtyard. The next day, drive to a meeting when the Poinsettia Fire hits. Called the front desk and spoke to Crawford, who assured me not to worry - my belongings would be secure should the hotel was evacuated.

When the fire got too close, sure enough, the hotel staff packed me up and drove my possessions to a neighboring hotel. MacBook, iPad, checkbook, receipts - everything was accounted for... even my dress socks! Fantastic job by the Courtyard to take care of a customer during a strenuous situation.

Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Trent S, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and recognizing the Top Notch Customer Service exemplified by our team during the Poinsettia Fires. It is hard to find words to express how proud I am of our staff, like Crawford, for stepping up during this event. We pride ourselves in hospitality and during unique situations I am glad that our service stands out. I will definitely rely your message on to the team.

We look forward to your next stay in Carlsbad.

Trent Selbrede

Been to Courtyard San Diego Carlsbad? Share your experiences!