“I was pleasantly surprised for the most part.” 4 of 5 stars

La Quinta Inn San Diego Carlsbad
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   760 Macadamia Dr, Carlsbad, CA 92011   |
Ranked #24 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
La Vergne, Tennessee, United States
“I was pleasantly surprised for the most part.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2012

I checked in to the La Quinta Carlsbad, CA for training at my new job. Check in was smooth and the room was surprisingly large. Plenty of room for a king size bed and a sleeper (I guess never tried it) sofa. The desk had plenty of space and the TV was a newer 32'' LG flat panel. The location was great. Close to the beach, close to my office and shopping was not far. My only complaints are the free at&t WiFi is soooooo slow and the breakfast leaves a lot to be desired. I generally stay at places where there are eggs and bacon or sausage. They did have hard boiled eggs (Not my thing) but no other proteins just carbs. All in all for $79/night not bad. If your looking for a clean convenient hotel in Carlsbad stay here. If your looking for a great breakfast or need fast WiFi, try somewhere else.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2012 via mobile

We didn't start off well when we checked in- we had to go back to lobby 3 times to tell them our key wouldn't open the door to our room.they finally sent maintenance and determined that batteries were dead andy then we had to wait for them to replace them and reprogram the door. The place was clean, but smelled strongly of bleach. The road noise was very loud and the in room fridge even louder. There was not much to do within easy walking distance, which was disappointing to us and the free continental breakfast was tolerable (all carbs, no protein) but the room was way too small to accommodate the large number of guests trying to enjoy it. There are better options for what we wanted in north carlsbad or Oceanside. But if you just need a clean place to lay your head for a night and can sleep through noise it is fine.

• Stayed December 2011
RXD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011 via mobile

I stayed at this inn for business. The place is well located if you need access to the Carlsbad/Vista area. The rooms are very dated with no work area or easy access to power outlets. The highway noise is very bad. The staff is aware of this and if you ask they will try and put you in the rooms which are less noisy but even the it is very had to sleep with all the trucks going past all night.

In general it's a low end inn which is clean. Stay here if you want to save a buck or two.

• Stayed November 2011
wavehunterz
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

Very clean and adequate rooms. Stayed here for a night to surf in the area. Not the Ritz, but hard to beat the price. Breakfast was ok, and did have a few options. Including fresh fruit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011 via mobile

Nice clean room and great location, staff knowledgable and friendly. Would stay again

• Stayed October 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2011

I booked a KING, GROUND FLOOR room at the Carlsbad La Quinta from 10/31-11/7. Due to a change in plans I arrived on 10/30. They could not accommodate me in either a KING or GROUND FLOOR room, and put me in a room at the corner of the building above the pet area - the front desk told me to check in the next day after 2pm for a different room. The air/heat unit DID NOT WORK (it made a SHRILL WHINING SOUND) and I could not sleep the whole night due to the freeway noise. When I checked with the front desk the next afternoon, they said there were still no KINGS available (I had booked my reservation WEEKS ahead of time) and they put me in a room RIGHT NEXT DOOR to the HOUSEKEEPING area. There were carts, laundry and people coming and going all day long. Everyone I ran into was pleasant but the hotel was not at capacity so why was I stuck there????

I decided to check out early on Friday 11/4. I notified the front desk and asked for a late check out that day, the woman said no problem you can check out at 2PM.

At 1PM on Friday the front desk called my room and ask me if I was checking out late on Sunday? I told her AGAIN that I was checking out TODAY (and in the next 15 minutes). When I left I notified the five (5) housekeepers that I was leaving, and they could change my room. As usual, I left my room keys inside the room.

About two hours later, a pompous front desk clerk left me a voice mail saying, "it was 4PM and when was I checking out???" I was already in Manhattan Beach (2+ hours away) by then! I called back TWICE but he would not help me because he said there were customers waiting in the lobby. I have never been treated so rudely on the phone when calling a hotel.

I called back and asked for the manager, he transferred me to the managers voice mail where I left a message. To date, no one has called to apologize or ensure I was not charged for Friday night! I will not be staying here again!

P.S. I was in room #109 - the (dark blue) carpets were stained and the duvet cover had a rip in it. The bed was so uncomfortable I had to buy some Tiger Balm.

Room Tip: It doesn't matter what you book - you won't get it!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
lq6120gm, General Manager at La Quinta Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, November 23, 2011
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I apologize that you experienced these issue during your visit to Carlsbad. We try to accommodate all requests and the night before arrival we pre-block guests who have requests if we have availability. Since you did show up a day early we could not honor that request as we were unaware of your early arrival. I have checked your reservation and was able to verify that you were not charged for Friday night. I apologize this information was not properly communicated to you during your checkout process and this issues has been address and corrected with my staff. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions or would like to make a future reservation. Mary Jagiello, General Manager 760-438-2828; lq6120gm@laquinta.com
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed last December and had a great time so we went there again last week. It's really nice to be able to take our dog and not have to pay an arm and a leg for her to stay with us. The weather was wonderful and the La Quinta once again made us feel very comfortable. My pillows were a bit hard but I asked the housekeeper and she cheerfully gave me some new fluffy pillows with a smile on her face.

Bofeb14 was right. If you have dogs take them down to Del Mar Beach. If you go south on Pacific Coast Highway you will go until you see the Del Mar Racetrack on your left. The beach is right where the river comes out to the beach and when you go out to the water you will see many dogs running and swimming and having a ball.

There's a restaurant just south of the hotel called Pick up Stix that has the best chinese food with large orders. We had dinner one night and kept the left overs in the in-room fridge and used the in-room microwave to heat them up for lunch the next day.

There is a small coffee maker and we found the closet space to be great. We asked for a ground floor room by the dog area and were able to go out and our Doxie (Matilda) made friends with a very nice Bichon (Ridley).

Don't listen to the bad reviews. We've stayed there twice and have had a great time. Most of the negativer reviews are from people who are apparantly not used to staying in motels and have to complain about everything. By the way the water pressure while not the strongest is adequate and our room had a large shower head that felt heavenly. The soap and shampoos in the room were very nice as well.

This is becoming our home away from home win visiting family in Carlsbad.

Room Tip: There is a Benihanas down the street and if you crave some more nightlife head into downtown Carlsba...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family

Been to La Quinta Inn San Diego Carlsbad? Share your experiences!