“Worth the price I paid” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 34 hotels in Carlsbad
Fresno, California
“Worth the price I paid”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

We got our price worth the hotel. We got a suite but the room was small for being a suite. The hotel hotel says they offered a "deluxe breakfast" but all there was that I saw was waffles, bagels, toasts, cereals, etc. I was expecting eggs, bacon and the works. I was happy with the room because it did not smell like cheap hotel when I walked in. Besides, it was mainly a place for us to rest not for hanging around all day.

317 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2011

Found this hotel via these reviews.
The hotel was exactly what we wanted for a visit to Legoland. The room was fine, and it was less than a 10 minute drive to legoland.
The pool looked nice, but it was actually too cold this April, but the hot tub was nice.
The staff was exceedingly helpful.
One of the highlights was the make your own waffles at the breakfast. Though, the appeal tended to cause a bit of a queue during the rush time.
We would definately stay there if we go back to Legoland again.

Lakewood, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2011

I would never stay at one of these hotels again. We left the towels on the floor to be replaced came home after a long day at Legoland, and the towels had been hung up, and still wet. We went down to the front desk at 8:30pm to get more , but they didn't have any, could we come back later. I have never stayed at a hotel that didn't have any clean towels.. Also we used the last of the tissue, and no replacement was left in the room, we had to go to our car to get some. The breakfast in horriable, that is the only way I can describe it. As I said at the beginning, NEVER AGAIN...

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
lq6120gm, General Manager at La Quinta Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, April 25, 2011
Please accept our apologies for not meeting your expectations during your most recent stay, as we constantly strive to exceed all our guest’s expectations. We have already taken action to correct the issues experienced during your visit. I hope you will give us another chance to earn your business. Feel free to contact me personally to make further reservations or if I can assist you in any way.
Mary Jagiello
760-438-2828; lq6120gm@laquinta.com
Port Coquitlam, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

We were traveling to San Diego for a week and since we wanted to visit Legoland I was looking for a hotel nearby. I had never heard of the La Quinta chain before and after reading the reviews wasn't to sure. My husband and I decided to give it a try. I wish I had booked all 7 days at La Quinta instead of just 4. The hotel is clean, the beds were comfortable. My kids loved the pool and the hot tub. The service was fabulous especially the front desk (Matt, I think) He sent us to a wonderful Mexican resteraunt the first night and kindly answered all my questions. This hotel is just a few blocks from the beach :0
I cannot say that we were disturbed by any noise (we were on the third floor) I would definately go back again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
San Diego, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2011

We went to Legoland and were happy with how close this hotel was and the price was great. We have no complaints about the room itself, the bed was soooo comfy! Very clean, small microwave and fridge in room. Wish we could have enjoyed our stay. However about 930 at night we had barely been alseep more than 2 hours we started hearing what sounded like a herd of elephants walking above us and jumping. I called the front desk the first manager said he would call up there. It stopped for 10 minutes then started back up again. We could not sleep! We waited a while longer to see if by some chance it would pass. Nope. We called again and the man said again he would do something. We waited till about 1130 pm and could not take it anymore, we demanded a refund. He was very polite and granted. BUT not two minutes later my husband barely made it back to our room and we were packing up the bags and about to wake up our sleeping small children to take out to the car when some different guy who was on duty came knocking loudly on our door. He very rudly asked why we were stil in the room, and also told us he didnt see how we could be complaining of noice when it was just an elderly lady staying above us and that she was sleeping. YEAH RIGHT! My husband told him we'd be out in a second and closed the door and the guy knocked again and said very curtly - "Come down to the lobby and let me know when you are out of here". I was so mad. We got down there and I told him that we wouldnt make the noise up, that we didnt particularly LIKE getting up at midnight with small children to make a long drive back home that he had very poor customer service skills. All the while with him trying to interrupt me and telling me i better leave. WHAT HAPPENED to treating customers with respect and apologizning for our horrible night???? We will NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
lq6120gm, Manager at La Quinta Inn San Diego Carlsbad, responded to this review, April 6, 2011
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. I would like to sincerely apologize for the noise issue and the way it was handled by my team. After you had come to the front desk saying that you would be checking out, we followed our protocol and attempted to verify that the room was vacant. We will continue to work with our staff to insure that this type of situation is handled more graciously. It is truly our hope that we will have another chance to earn your patronage. If you do have a change of heart and decide to visit Legoland again please feel free to contact me personally to make reservations.
Mary Jagiello
760-438-2828; lq6120gm@laquinta.com
Sacramento
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

I'm very particular and it's most common that I couldn't stop myself from commenting on all that's wrong with a hotel. This trip was the opposite. I kept telling my husband about all the things I LIKED about our room. Since some have complained about noise, I can only say that we did not hear the highway from our room (1st floor, opposite end of complex from freeway). Here's what I found:
-it was clean - not just swiped down in the middle of counters etc. but everywhere. The sheets and towels all smelled nice and clean.
-it was cheerfully decorated and up to date; granite counter on sink, faucet on sink and mirror above sink were all very nice and felt more upscale
-decorative "scarf" in lieu of a bedspread (since bedspreads can't be washed for each customer anyway, they always seem dirty - the "scarf" was ideal for making the room look finished but it was easily moved out of the way)
-I normally hate the feeling of exterior rooms partly because of the window treatments around the heater/air conditioner and the way the privacy curtains don't close right. Their window treatments were much nicer than I've seen in this type of room and really made the feel of the room much less utilitarian. Also, the privacy curtains closed completely.
-The room color, furniture and flat screen TV also helped make the room feel nicer and less utilitarian.
-We brought our own breakfast b/c of dietary issues, but I noticed they have hard boiled eggs in addition to the items they list on their website.
-Only downside was no fan in the bathroom but that's minor compared to all that was right.
With all that and our little shih tzu welcome at no additional charge - we'll definitely be back. In fact I've already booked another trip there in a month.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2011 via mobile

Very clean place. We did not hear the highway noise. Perfect for our one night stay.

• Stayed February 2011

Been to La Quinta Inn San Diego Carlsbad? Share your experiences!